Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
Author
Beyond The Plains... support our kiwi friends

ambyeok
7-Mar-2011
3:39:28 AM
Started new thread for this post:

On 06/03/2011 off_route wrote:

Hey guys, not many of you know me but my name is Brett Williams - I lived in Christchurch for 2 years and moved back to Melbourne in April last year. While living in Chch I made a climbing doco called Beyond The Plains, which was due to screen in Christchurch next month. This has been postponed until further notice due to the recent quake and the destruction of the building it was going to be shown in!

With quite a lot of friends displaced, I thought a good way to help would be to hold a screening of this film here in Melbourne as a fundraiser for Christchurch quake relief, all proceeds are going to the NZ salvation army Canterbury Earthquake Appeal.

Beyond The Plains explores the alpine environment of Twin Stream, the bouldering area Flock Hill, trad climbing mecca Mount Somers and the steep limestone sport crag Hanging Rock, as well as the local Port Hills of Christchurch (which have now been quite drastically re-landscaped!).

Tickets are available for $20 @ Paddy Pallin in Lt. Bourke Street, I hope many of you can make it!

For more info, check out: http://www.facebook.com/beyondtheplains

To view the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY_5mZYiX4

timfreddo
7-Mar-2011
7:54:03 AM
Hi Lucian.
I think what your doing is a great idea to raise money for people in Chch, I lived there for the 09 winter season. Luckily the friends i made over there are all fine, but it will take AGES and lots of money to get Christchurch back into gear.

If you feel like it, it might be worth ringing Brett at Summit Gear up here in Katoomba, and maybe the manager at one of the kent st stores (Mountain Equipment, Mountain designs, Paddy Pallin) feels like organising a showing up here in Sydney.

I'm sure they will at least give you some info on how to organise it, you might even get away with staying in Melb if they wanna tackle the ticket collection...

I'm sure there's plenty of climbers up here who would love to check it out and help out our 8th territory :)
Tim.
off_route
7-Mar-2011
9:28:21 AM
Hey guys, I'm stoked with the feedback so far, thanks! I managed to arrange the screening in Melbourne through the support of a venue here (Loop) who were happy to use their space for free, and ticket sales/advertising from Paddy Pallin. If anybody knows of a possible venue in Sydney that won't cost anything (there is always the good chance for them of making revenue from the bar..) then could you let me know? If we could lock in a venue at no cost, I don't see any reason why we can't do the same event in NSW..

cheers!

Brett

ambyeok
7-Mar-2011
2:05:12 PM
Hi, I just wanna make it clear, I am not involved in this in any way, I didn't do anything, just supporting it. So thanks freddo but I don't wanna claim any credit for this. All props should be directed to off_route :)
off_route
7-Mar-2011
3:22:24 PM
Thanks, Lucian, looking forward to meeting you @ the event! I've been talking to Paddy Pallin and they're definitely keen to help out with a screening in Katoomba and/or Sydney if we can get a venue, suggestions are welcome since I've never been to Katoomba :D

If necessary, I could probably provide a data projector and speakers... so maybe a local bar of some kind with a big white wall or screen?

cheers!

Brett
off_route
7-Mar-2011
10:01:22 PM

shortman
7-Mar-2011
10:17:41 PM
That clip reminds me of Southern Faces. U have anythin to do with that film too??
off_route
8-Mar-2011
9:38:52 AM
No, actually, but have seen Southern Faces several times :D

I moved to Christchurch after it had been made.. this film is focused more specifically on a single region rather than the entire South Island, for the simple reason that the climbing there warranted it.. Mt Somers, Twin Stream, Flock Hill and Hanging Rock all missed out in SF, and are all rad climbing areas! Likewise, I think you could quite easily dedicate entire climbing films to the Darrans, the West Coast and Golden Bay (especially if you combined it with caving and paddling!!)

off_route
16-Mar-2011
7:50:44 PM
Beyond The Plains is coming to the Bluies! We are screening at the Katoomba RSL on Sunday 22nd May, tickets will be available soon from Paddy Pallin in Katoomba, and as with the Melbourne screening, all proceeds will be donated to the Canterbury Earthquake Appeal. More info coming soon..
off_route
17-Mar-2011
11:38:02 AM
New teaser trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMLojCZPP0

Melbourne screening details here..

Saturday 2nd April
@ Loop, 23 Meyers Place, City
Doors open 5.30pm, screening starts at 6pm (doco goes for an hour)
Tickets $20 @ Paddy Pallin, City store (Lt. Bourke Street)
off_route
21-Mar-2011
9:44:34 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4789898/5-1-aftershock-hits-Christchurch

It's certainly out of the Aussie media limelight for now (especially given so much going on elsewhere), but Christchurch is continuing to take a pounding..

Organ Pipe
21-Mar-2011
1:12:39 PM
Kiri and I picked up our tickets on the weekend Brett.

Looking forward to it mate.
off_route
21-Mar-2011
5:40:11 PM
Awesome mate! See ya there!

ambyeok
21-Mar-2011
8:00:53 PM
Hey Brett, you aren't that guy who likes sound shells by any chance are you?
off_route
22-Mar-2011
8:13:45 AM
Nope, must be a different Brett you know, Lucian..
off_route
28-Mar-2011
5:45:51 PM
Hey guys, I need to get an idea for the venue of roughly how many people are coming to Beyond The Plains in Melbourne this Saturday night.. not heaps of ticket sales out of Paddy Pallin so far which is understandable considering it's out of the way for a lot of folks.

The best way of working out how many people might be coming is by ticking "I'm Attending" on the Facebook event - here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=161661740553615

Feel free to Share the event with your friends too.

You can definitely get tickets on the door, for $20 cash, remembering that's all going to quake relief.

I was in at Loop today doing a tech check for the film and can tell you now it looks awesome on the big screen- way waaaay better than on DVD (projecting straight out of the laptop from the HD master), so if you dig climbing movies this is easily the best way to experience it.

So.. here's hoping for a decent turnout, a great night amongst fellow climbers and a good show of support for our kiwi friends :-)

-Brett

off_route
29-Mar-2011
10:42:11 PM
A story on Beyond The Plains featured in the major Christchurch newspaper, The Press, yesterday - now available to read here > http://www.facebook.com/beyondtheplains
off_route
31-Mar-2011
7:46:26 PM
2 days to go!

Ticket sales are starting to ramp up at Paddy's but there should still be tix available at the door. The film itself is just under an hour so it'll be finished around 7pm if you have other plans also..

Apologies for all the shameless advertising through Chockstone, will all be over by Saturday! :D

shortman
2-Apr-2011
8:05:32 PM
Great film. Good way to start the night!

Thanks Brett.
off_route
3-Apr-2011
10:47:10 AM
Thanks, Daniel, awesome to meet you there, man! Glad you enjoyed it :D

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
There are 22 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints