General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 48
Author
Rockclimbs Around Melbourne guidebook
OSP
11-Jan-2011
3:32:37 PM
Hi All,

At the risk of this being classed as SPAM, I thought I would let you all know that the new Rockclimbs Around Melbourne guidebook is now out and available in your favourite climbing shop and our online store.

For further information you can visit our blog here http://osp.com.au/?p=1365
Open Spaces would like to thank our advertisers and the many climbers who provided help, information and photographs to make this guide a reality. For all of those who provided photos for the guide - your complimentary copy is on the way!

Cheers,

The team at Open Spaces

nmonteith
11-Jan-2011
3:40:50 PM
Please let us know what areas the guidebook covers - and feel free to post up some example pages and the cover.

ajfclark
11-Jan-2011
3:42:44 PM
You can't click the link Neil?
NMcKinnon
11-Jan-2011
3:43:37 PM
The site lists the You Yangs areas covered as:

"The areas covered in the guide are the You Yangs (Urinal Wall, Royalty Walls, Gravel Pit Tor, Flinders Peak Slabs)...."

Is the NW Outcrop covered? Probably the best cliff at the You Yangs with probably the best 'line' close to Melbourne (Grimulus).
kieranl
11-Jan-2011
3:47:00 PM
Noddy's coment was something like : "The photos are so good they almost make the climbs look worthwhile"
gtempest
11-Jan-2011
4:46:26 PM
On 11/01/2011 NMcKinnon wrote:
>Is the NW Outcrop covered? Probably the best cliff at the You Yangs with
>probably the best 'line' close to Melbourne (Grimulus).

The North Western Outcrop (in the You Yangs) isn't covered in the guide. Most of the North Western Outcrop's 'good' climbs are nasty tip-shredders in the higher grades and appeal to only a handful of climbers. Of all these routes Exam Technique (22) stands out as an enjoyable lead. Almost all of the crags easier climbs feature wide, razor-sharp, blood-stained knobbly cracks involving body-thrutching, head-jamming, off-widths and/or fist jamming. Only Grimulace (20) is worth the walk in and many climbers still tape up to lead it. Apart from those few issues I love the place.
gtempest
11-Jan-2011
4:54:29 PM
On 11/01/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>Please let us know what areas the guidebook covers

The areas covered in the guide are the You Yangs (Urinal Wall, Royalty Walls, Gravel Pit Tor, Flinders Peak Slabs), Falcons Lookout at Werribee Gorge, Mt Beckworth (The Main Group), Camels Hump (Lower Cliff and Omega Block), Black Hill (Mushroom Rock, The Monolith Area, Milawa Area, Eastern Lookout Area), Mt Alexander (Dog Rocks, Wabbit Rocks), Ben Cairn and the Cathedral Range (Sugarloaf Peak, South Jawbone, Blue Haze Peak and North Jawbone).

ajfclark
11-Jan-2011
4:59:40 PM
Is Blue Haze Peak the mythical crag that is mentioned in this thread?
gtempest
11-Jan-2011
5:07:35 PM
On 11/01/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>Is Blue Haze Peak the mythical crag that is mentioned in this
>thread?

Yup.

nmonteith
11-Jan-2011
5:29:18 PM
North West Outcrop is rad! It's also my fav crag at the Youies...
gtempest
11-Jan-2011
5:35:40 PM
>North West Outcrop is rad! It's also my fav crag at the Youies...

I hate the North West Outcrop and it's also my fav crag at the Youies...

nmonteith
11-Jan-2011
5:37:12 PM
On 11/01/2011 gtempest wrote:
>On 11/01/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>>North West Outcrop is rad! It's also my fav crag at the Youies...
>
>I hate the North West Outcrop and it's also my fav crag at the Youies...

So true it hurts. Is the new mystery Cathedrals crag worth the hype?
dalai
11-Jan-2011
5:42:37 PM
On 11/01/2011 gtempest wrote:
>On 11/01/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>>Is Blue Haze Peak the mythical crag that is mentioned in this
>>thread?
>
>Yup.

So it actually exists!

Nice work Glen, I will definitely add this guide to the collection...
gtempest
11-Jan-2011
6:07:03 PM
Is the new mystery Cathedrals crag worth the hype?

Many years ago we checked out what is now called Blue Haze Peak but were daunted by the vast amount of moss. After the 2009 fires the place is as clean as a whistle. We have recently been doing a few new things up on the South Jawbone (again now very clean) and walk past Blue Haze Peak each time. I haven't done anything on it but the routes do look pretty enjoyable. There appears to be a good range of grades, mainly slabby, and as I said, are now very clean. The slab is about 50m high with some bolts on the more difficult routes. The guys who developed the place (Tyrone Andrew and Mike Bukraba) must have worn out a few wire brushes before the fires. It's still a mighty walk up but at least it is almost all on a good foot trail with no bush bashing. Time will tell if the routes are worth the walk.

MisterGribble
Online Now
17-Jan-2011
9:43:58 PM
My copy arrived today and I am happy to give it the full Gribble review.

It's great and should do for Melbourne climbing what 8 pints of beer does for ugly women.

Well done Simey!
richardo
17-Jan-2011
9:56:48 PM
On 17/01/2011 MisterGribble wrote:
>My copy arrived today and I am happy to give it the full Gribble review.
>
>It's great and should do for Melbourne climbing what 8 pints of beer does
>for ugly women.
>
>Well done Simey!

So after 8 pints the women think MisterGribble charming.

MisterGribble
Online Now
17-Jan-2011
10:43:47 PM
Listen, you great Southern Jesse, I pity you swilling 8 pints of beer and getting into a lather over 'A Rockclimbers guide to Hertfordshire'

Be warned, you're dealing with 2 Yorkshiremen here, and dunt thee forgerrit pal.
richardo
17-Jan-2011
11:06:44 PM
I don't know a guidebook of that name, but I'd love to get into a lather over it if you have a copy.

In exchange I can offer you my copy of "A swingers guide to badminton in the home counties". All women guaranteed to cost less than 8 pints - surely thats enough to get any tyke into a lather.
simey
17-Jan-2011
11:29:29 PM
On 17/01/2011 MisterGribble wrote:
>Well done Simey!

The new Melbourne guidebook is Glenn's handiwork - not mine. Although I started on the project with Glenn I soon realised that women would take a lot more interest in a guy that owns a funky little cafe near one of the best crags in the world, as opposed to a guidebook author trying to sex up scrappy little outcrops around Melbourne.
gfdonc
17-Jan-2011
11:38:38 PM
And did the strategy work, or what?

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 48
There are 48 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints