HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
New Plan of Management for the Baulkans in Sydney 20-Nov-2010 At 5:18:41 PM shay
I've just finished reading the POM and the recommendations they've put forward seem reasonable.

On 19/11/2010 peterb wrote:
>The other site ARC1 does seem to be the cave under Paratroopin’ next to
>the main wall at the Frontline. It’s not marked clearly on the plan, but
>after talking to one of the climbers who was there when they surveyed the
>place, she said this was mentioned as an Aboriginal site.

This is definitely the area they've identified as significant. My partner and I were bouldering at Frontline when the Gondawana Consultants were there. We spoke to them and this is the only area they were really concerned about in terms of aboriginal heritage.

I noticed that the stated objectives for the management of the reserve are in this order:
1. Preservation of aboriginal heritage
2. Preservation of biodiversity
3. Recreational use.

It is clear as day that our access to the Balkans will be at risk if we choose to ignore their recommendations of banning bouldering at the Paratroopin cave and The Backline. This is a small price to pay for our continued use of the area. Dave Pearson will be working on the new Sydney Bouldering Guide book this summer, and these issues will need to addressed.

As a former environmental consultant and keen boulderer, I will definitely be putting in a submission in support of their draft recommendations and make a few of my own. I think it would be great if the bouldering community as a whole, put forward some management actions of our own to show the land managers we are responsible recreational users. This maybe in the form of a crag clean-up/maintenance day once a month, etc. Like track care in the bluies. The Balkans have given us so much, and it is time that we give something back.

There are 9 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints