Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Ku-ring-gai Unstructured Recreation Strategy

arniearms
9-Sep-2010
9:31:09 AM
A heads up to all those wanting to work for climbing access in the area: Ku-ring-gai council have their Unstructured Recreation Strategy out for comment. Please take a couple of minutes to have a look and comment (not here - I mean in an email to the council) with your support.

Comments on the document should quote reference number S06520 and be directed to kmc@kmc.nsw.gov.au or post to: The General Manager, Ku-ring-gai Council, Locked Bag 1056, Pymble NSW 2073

Just a quick, "I enjoy rock climbing in the Sydney area and fully support and encourage the council in their plans to facilitate rock climbers." is enough.

Submissions close 16 September 2010

More details on the link below, but briefly:

As part of a commitment to transparent and participatory decision making, Ku-ring-gai Council is seeking comment from the community on the draft Unstructured Recreation Strategy.

The strategy was developed to meet the following aims and to:

- Address current and future unstructured recreational activities undertaken within community land, such as walking, cycling and rock climbing, particularly within the Ku-ring-gai Bushland Reserve System;
- facilitate planning by addressing key infrastructure within the council area, which is not addressed by the Open Space Strategy;
- provide clear restrictions, permissible uses and guidelines for these activities, including the responsibilities of different user groups when utilising shared or multiple use facilities;
- provide guidance to bushland management and booking processes for relevant activities.

There are already some good crags in this area and I'd encourage everyone to write in and supporting this strategy in the hopes of resolving access issues and also to encourage council to work with local climbers for more of the same.

Council link here with full document...

http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/www/html/3922-unstructured-recreation-strategy.asp?intSiteID=1

ps thanks to nobmob.com for the headsup...

hargs
9-Sep-2010
9:54:36 AM
Done -- thanks for the heads-up.
yankinoz
9-Sep-2010
8:44:37 PM
it's a pretty decent policy - the included 'code of conduct' was clearly written with climbers input.

I've sent in my support as both a climber and a Ku-ring-gi resident.

Rob
TonyB
10-Sep-2010
7:21:17 AM
Sent.
I've found with our local council that such letters do have an impact. I usually write to the mayor.
ClintR
10-Sep-2010
9:29:17 AM
Submitted feedback. I was also impressed with the document. They have obviously engaged climbers and spent some time to understand the ins and outs of climbing and its people. Good job.
hargs
10-Sep-2010
4:27:52 PM
Just received an email from Mary-lou Lewis at Kuringai Council acknowledging my earlier submission, so someone's reading them at least.

vwills
10-Sep-2010
4:58:36 PM
Isnt Berowra in the Kuring gai Shire? Its a long standing bolted climbing area that the council must know about.

kuu
10-Sep-2010
5:12:48 PM
On 10/09/2010 vwills wrote:
>Isnt Berowra in the Kuring gai Shire?

No. It's in the Hornsby Council LGA.
yankinoz
10-Sep-2010
5:28:08 PM
On 10/09/2010 kuu wrote:
>On 10/09/2010 vwills wrote:
>>Isnt Berowra in the Kuring gai Shire?
>
>No. It's in the Hornsby Council LGA.

I think Mt Ku-ring-gai is in Hornsby Council too. Just to be as confusing as possible.

Butters81
10-Sep-2010
9:38:27 PM
Done, thanks for the heads up

arniearms
13-Sep-2010
10:33:49 AM
Definantly looks promising...

I hope banned areas like 'kalkari', will be included in the review.

rodw
13-Sep-2010
10:48:51 AM
That wont change as they are crags in NPWS areas...the plan is only talking about council land.

arniearms
15-Sep-2010
6:50:55 PM
Ah damn it, that's right. Cool that councils are atleast acknowledging unstructured recreation like, climbing and mountain biking.

Anyway submissions close 2mrw to have ur say to the ku-ring-gai council on recreation in their reserves.

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints