Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
CRUMBLY ACCESS and rubbish
Blah
28-Aug-2010
2:28:57 PM
Hi all,
I just had a great day at Crumbly falling off stuff only to be bailed up by a resident of one of the houses directly above the cliff who had a very valid concern regarding a recent increase in the amount of rubbish he has been finding surrounding Crumbly. Now, while this may not be climbers it is worth remembering that Crumbly is on private land and we are the most visible users of that land. He was friendly and said that climbers had not been a problem in the past, but just wanted his concerns addressed, so perhaps it is worth being community-minded and picking up rubbish on the way out, whether it is yours or not. We are lucky to have these crags to climb on (or fall off) so a little maintenance would not go astray!
Enjoy your climbing!

nmonteith
28-Aug-2010
7:34:07 PM
Bring a garbage bag down next time and fill it up. Last week I cleared 2 big bags of garbage (bongs cans of v, ciggie packets, spray paint) from my local bouldering area. It took a few minutes and the place looks so much better. My theory is that a 'litterer' will litter if they see others have done it before. If its a nice clean cave then they will have to commit to being the first person to trash the place - which hopefully is unlikely. Well, I can only hope.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
1-Sep-2010
10:17:30 PM
I reckon you lot are being superoptimalistically hopeful!
Since when has a litterer ever given a toss (heh, heh, heh), about whether they were the first to do so or not?

nmonteith
2-Sep-2010
10:47:27 AM
On 1/09/2010 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>I reckon you lot are being superoptimalistically hopeful!
>Since when has a litterer ever given a toss (heh, heh, heh), about whether
>they were the first to do so or not?

Near my house there are several caves - some with bouldering and some not suitable for climbing. There are also caves that are filled with (non climber) rubbish, and some with no rubbish whatsoever. To me it seems that once one person has left behind a can of V and a bong, then the next person who comes along thinks it's ok to leave theirs as well. Then they bring down an old mattress and leave that, then they bring down a few milk crates and a cartoon of beer and soon the cave is full of rubbish. If its empty to begin with then most people (i hope) would think twice before dumping a whole load of crap in the cave in one go. Of course people are going to keep leaving the odd bottle etc - but providing they get picked up every few weeks the place stays really clean. We can only try...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
2-Sep-2010
10:56:57 AM
nm wrote;
>We can only try...

Yes, but after many years of doing so, I have come to the conclusion that the mentality we are dealing with really doesn't care, or even give it much (if any) thought, ... and I find that attitude a sad thing.
rod
2-Sep-2010
6:07:39 PM
don't lose heart M9. some guys in charge of one of the lakes in CH (Luzern or Zurich I think) had a graffiti and litter problem and the pattern Niel highlights tended to be the root problem. they found that when they stayed right on top of it for long enough, ie cleaning up during the times of day when the littering started to occur, the problem finally stopped entirely.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints