Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Author
Baxter's Obituary
gdawg
26-May-2010
9:05:26 AM
I just bought a copy of the latest Rock (not so current I know, news travels slow to Alice). Nice cover story about hardest climbs in Australia, an article about taking kiddies to font, a rusty crag gets the cobwebs swept off, climbing in pakistan (wow!), etc etc.

I open the magazine, do-be-do, flip through the first few ads, do-be-do, "Obituary"... hmmm...

Mike Law's touching 1 page obituary was the first I had heard of Chris Baxter's Passing.....

hang on a minute......., Chris Baxter has died..... hang on a minute more....a 1 page obituary......that's all?????

I never met Chris but as a climber growing up in Australia I have always considered him as an icon and ledgend of the climbing scene. I know I'm not alone in this perception. Dispite his foibles and controversial style he has had a strong impact on the world of climbing. Not the least for creating and "driving" Rock magazine for over 25 years.

My question, Mr Speaker, is why then did this giant personality and former editor-in-chief only get a 1 one page obit in HIS magazine?

Did he really piss off the staff at Rock so much that they couldn't put him on the cover???

Comments?

Sabu
26-May-2010
10:06:16 AM
If I recall correctly Argus had most of one of the lastest issues devoted to him including writings from many prolific climbers of his time. It was quite a moving read so I can recommend getting a copy.

Sarah Gara
26-May-2010
11:21:58 AM
I f you want i copy I prob have it ifyou send your email I can forward x

nmonteith
26-May-2010
11:50:47 AM
Maybe you missed this...
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=82696&Replies=1
gdawg
26-May-2010
11:57:19 AM
It's great that Argus was able to pay a decent tribute. I would definately like to read it.

I am still pretty underwhelmed by the fact that Rock did not give more column space to the death of the man who started the magazine. IMHO he definately deserved more than a one page obit and a brief editorial note. How about several pages of photos (that is what glossy mags are for), a list of his main first ascents, a brief biography.
gdawg
26-May-2010
12:03:11 PM
On 26/05/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>Maybe you missed this...
>http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=82696&Replies=1

I read this thread. It is great that Chockstone members are able to share their memories.

My issue is with Rock magazine's weak response.

wallwombat
26-May-2010
12:26:54 PM
On 26/05/2010 gdawg wrote:

>I am still pretty underwhelmed by the fact that Rock did not give more
>column space to the death of the man who started the magazine. IMHO he
>definately deserved more than a one page obit and a brief editorial note.
>How about several pages of photos (that is what glossy mags are for), a
>list of his main first ascents, a brief biography.

Whose to say that wont happen in an upcoming issue?

I think Mikl's obituary was a very touching tribute.

I doubt Chris would have wanted the Autumn 2010 issue to suddenly become the Baxter is dead issue.
gdawg
26-May-2010
12:43:30 PM
On 26/05/2010 wallwombat wrote:
>Whose to say that wont happen in an upcoming issue?
>I doubt Chris would have wanted the Autumn 2010 issue to suddenly become the Baxter is dead issue.

True, he might have preferred the Winter issue. So much more poignant...

wallwombat
26-May-2010
1:28:41 PM

>>Whose to say that wont happen in an upcoming issue?
>>I doubt Chris would have wanted the Autumn 2010 issue to suddenly become
>the Baxter is dead issue.

>True, he might have preferred the Winter issue. So much more poignant...

The editorial note in the Autumn issue begins "As we were going to print the founding editor of Rock, Chris Baxter, passed away.'

I think the important thing to note is the bit that says "As we were going to print...".

This makes me think that it wouldn't have been too easy to simply slap together a quick four page retrospective on Chris that would have done him justice.

Did you have a spare one sitting in the top draw?

Mikl wrote a very personal and touching obituary that I feel did do Chris Baxter justice and I believe a multi-page retrospective in the same issue would have been garish and diminished that obituary.

There is nothing stopping someone from penning a quality retrospective article on Chris Baxter and Rock publishing it in a future issue.

That is what I was trying to say.
gdawg
26-May-2010
2:09:17 PM
>I think the important thing to note is the bit that says "As we were going to print...".

um, yeah, about that;
Rock put up a notice on its website on the 2nd of March 2010 saying that Chris had passed away on the 28th of Febuary. The next issue of Rock was put out to the public on the 9th of April (quoting the website). Methinks it does not take over a month to print a magazine (it wouldn't be very up-to-date if it did).

Mikl's tribute was great but I rekon it could have easily been accompanied by more articles, pictures, etc.

That is what i'm trying to say.

nmonteith
26-May-2010
2:17:05 PM
>Rock put up a notice on its website on the 2nd of March 2010 saying that
>Chris had passed away on the 28th of Febuary. The next issue of Rock was
>put out to the public on the 9th of April (quoting the website). Methinks
>it does not take over a month to print a magazine (it wouldn't be very
>up-to-date if it did).

It takes a month to WRITE, EDIT, DESIGN, PROOF, PRINT and then DISTRIBUTE a magazine. It's not a daily newspaper... it's a small magazine.
Damien Gildea
26-May-2010
2:30:53 PM
>
>Did you have a spare one sitting in the top draw?
>

Well actually, yes, this is pretty much what newspapers and proper magazines always did. Particularly with very well-known people who were either very old or very sick. That way all the back-story was already done and they could update it with the latest info then have it out fast. You can be sure that most of Gough Whitlam's obit is already written and sitting on someone's hard drive ready to go.

Otherwise I agree, a more comprehensive retrospective with lots of good pics might be nice for the future (not to detract from Mike's piece).

And yes, the major mags overseas get their major material together over months beforehand. The last few weeks before hitting the shelves is pretty much too late for anything. Which is why so many of us are right here .....

nmonteith
26-May-2010
2:39:20 PM
Wasn't there a major article about Chris' achievements published in Wild a few years ago?

wallwombat
26-May-2010
2:40:07 PM
There was a multi page profile of Chris Baxter's climbing life in the April issue, 2008. Considering for the last decade he was battling his illness, I don't really think much can be added, except for a very respectful and touching obituary, which we got in the last issue.

I believe anything else would have been vulgar and garish, as I believe this argument has become.

gawg, we obviously disagree. I'm going to leave it at that.

RIP Chris Baxter
gdawg
26-May-2010
2:59:36 PM
On 26/05/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>It takes a month to WRITE, EDIT, DESIGN, PROOF, PRINT and then DISTRIBUTE a magazine. It's not a daily newspaper... it's a small magazine.

So, 5 and a half weeks before the magazine hits the shelves there is no time to reconsider part of the layout and possibly make some room for a fitting tribute to the magazines founder?

gdawg
26-May-2010
3:02:20 PM
You are right wallwombat, we do disagree.

>...vulgar and garish...

Whatever.
Damien Gildea
26-May-2010
3:15:28 PM
>There was a multi page profile of Chris Baxter's climbing life in the
>April issue, 2008.

True. My mistake. Perhaps that's enough.
citationx
26-May-2010
3:38:53 PM
>You are right wallwombat, we do disagree.
>
>>...vulgar and garish...
>
>Whatever.

You're clearly (perhaps like phm in an earlier thread) looking for support that you're not going to get from this forum. I agree that a touching one-page obit is really all that's needed. There have been countless other stories, guidebooks and tributes to him in the past perhaps we just don't need to dwell on it.
gdawg
26-May-2010
3:52:39 PM
On 26/05/2010 citationx wrote:
>You're clearly (perhaps like phm in an earlier thread) looking for support that you're not going to get from this forum. I agree that a touching one-page obit is really all that's needed. There have been countless other stories, guidebooks and tributes to him in the past perhaps we just don't need to dwell on it.

Fair enough.

I apologise to anyone who felt offended by my comments in this thread. I certainly wasn't intending to grandstand about such a somber topic (although looking back on the thread I can see how it would appear that way).
Iggypops
26-May-2010
8:07:23 PM
I find the general response to this really puzzling. Should other magazines publishing articles on Baxter stop Rock from doing the same when he created the magazine? And what exactly is the objection to having a more comprehensive account of his life and achievements? It is pretty much standard to do this for such influential figures in any kind of community and, if Rock was able to insert a short obituary at the last minute, they could have done the same with a larger one (why exactly would this have not been pre-prepared?). Pity some people in this forum are so skimpy when it comes to acknowledging the passing of an important figure in Australian rock climbing history.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints