Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
The Asgard Project 19-Apr-2010 At 9:51:59 PM singersmith
Having actually been on this outing (and on six trips to Auyuittuq) I feel both qualified and obligated to comment. I'll strive for brevity.

First of all, Tall Poppy Syndrome nears the top of my list of the most distasteful things about Australia. I'll spare you all the diatribe and leave it at that.

Lazy buggers? Ha! Come back when you're free climbing 5.13 in subzero temps staring down potential 60 footers. And lets not forget that the logistics of making a groundbreaking film, with a team of seven, on a remote mountain are actually rather complex and requires quite a lot of gear. On that note, not everybody has the time (or the timing) to spend 3 weeks or more (the Belgians took 4 weeks to get to Asgard, two climbs along the way) humping loads. Neil, it's not 4 days from town, especially if you're humping wall gear; if you totally bust your ass you can make it from Overlord to Asgard north side base camp in 3 days, right before you collapse and vomit. The town to Overlord leg is actually a hideous tundra slog and not at all like the lovely trail in the rest of the valley.

Actually, the reason they were even doing an airdrop is that the park service changed the rules for stashing gear without telling them. Two days after Charlie skidooed their gear in Parks flew in with a helicopter and took it all back to town. That in itself is the very reason they got special permission to fly a chartered plane in to begin with. Leo and team had no idea they were going to jump out of the plane until they showed up in Pang and the pilot suggested it to them; after which they got a bit nervous and wrote up a quick disclaimer on a piece of paper.

And no, actually the point wasn't to have the tents set up and coffee waiting for when the rest of the team showed up. In reality soon after they landed we turned around and ran 16k over six hours down to Summit Lake, found the radio broken, slept for a few hours before and Leo and I then ran another 15k down the valley to meet the team. So rest assured we got plenty of hiking in.

Wallwombat, here's an idea: why don't you exploit the fantastic mechanisms of the free market and NOT buy their film, simultaneously casting your vote of extreme distaste and preserving personal funds to aid in removing your own felt uneasiness and approaching that elusive state of Epicurian ataraxia?

Charlie also picked up the gear they didn't carry out at the end of the trip. Inuit eyes go as big as saucers over free ropes, tarps, barrels, food, etc.- but he still got paid.

If anyone in Melbourne is super keen on the film I might be inclined to loan it to you, or the Belgian's film for that matter (Asgard Jamming).

There are 79 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints