Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
tick marks

Nooj
18-Mar-2010
5:25:12 PM
I found myself on a route recently where I was just following the tick marks, and after I came down i didn't feel all that good about myself. not only are they an eyesore if there's a lot of them, but they totally ruin the feeling of accomplishment because you figure out the sequence by yourself, with your own two eyes instead of relying on what someone else did earlier. I reckon rock-coloured chalk would be an easy way to solve this problem. thoughts/flames?

aarond
18-Mar-2010
5:28:38 PM
i find alot of routes are covered in all these crappy chalked up holds and often the easier way or holds are not chalked up.

but yeh i don't like the chalk marks on the rock

rodw
18-Mar-2010
6:57:32 PM
Easy fix, just put up new routes no chalk then.

wallwombat
18-Mar-2010
8:39:50 PM
"you only need zem eef you are too weak to climb zee problem"

Marc Le Menestral
widewetandslippery
19-Mar-2010
7:12:14 AM
On 18/03/2010 wallwombat wrote:
>"you only need zem eef you are too weak to climb zee problem"
>
>Marc Le Menestral

And thats why I love tick marks. I think coloured chalk is they way to go. Bright red chalk.
egosan
19-Mar-2010
7:55:12 AM
I tried bright red, but I have had much more luck with using fluorescent pink and green. I use two chalk bags. Pink for my left, green for my right. Makes it so much easier to see the sequence.
widewetandslippery
19-Mar-2010
8:02:55 AM
How does the green go on mossy or lichen covered rock or are you a stickler for roundup?
egosan
19-Mar-2010
8:24:18 AM
On 19/03/2010 widewetandslippery wrote:
>How does the green go on mossy or lichen covered rock or are you a stickler
>for roundup?

It usually takes me a couple years of red pointing to work out the sequence even with the two chalk colors. In that time the chalk kills any moss and lichen in the water shed. A win for everyone really.

Eduardo Slabofvic
19-Mar-2010
2:04:23 PM
I usually clean them off and put new ones on a centimeter or so away from the original ones. That's always good for laugh.

ajfclark
19-Mar-2010
2:18:38 PM
Think you've just created a new hobby...
kieranl
19-Mar-2010
2:28:17 PM
On 19/03/2010 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>I usually clean them off and put new ones on a centimeter or so away from
>the original ones. That's always good for laugh.
Wasn't that the trick played on the Huberspawn to spoil one of their free ascents in Yosemite?
egosan
19-Mar-2010
2:28:22 PM
On 19/03/2010 ajfclark wrote:
>Think you've just created a new hobby...

It ain't new. When was the last time you climbed Muldoon? A thousand panicking novice leaders have slapped chalk on every dimple, shadow and irregularity within three meters of the line.

ajfclark
19-Mar-2010
2:43:06 PM
Inadvertently misdirecting people is vastly different to setting out to do it.
egosan
19-Mar-2010
2:56:13 PM
On 19/03/2010 ajfclark wrote:
>Inadvertently misdirecting people is vastly different to setting out to
>do it.

Too right, this Easter lets go do Muldoon with a bucket of water and a brush. We can clean all the useful holds.

ajfclark
19-Mar-2010
3:40:01 PM
The useful ones are the ones without chalk. People touch them and go "What the f--- have I been doing" and move on as opposed to all the shit holds that people touch and go no, no, no, no, chalk up again, no, maybe that hold was actually the best option, no, chalk up, repeat.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints