Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Help keep access to The Balkans open 15-Jul-2009 At 9:16:29 AM shay

Not many people would be aware that the Bidjigal (formerly Excelsior) Reserve Trust is planning to develop a Plan of Management (POM) for Bidjigal Reserve. The reserve is also home to the most popular bouldering areas in Sydney, collectively known as The Balkans.

My boyfriend and I were bouldering at Frontline yesterday morning when we came across two cultural/aboriginal heritage consultants inspecting the little cave under Paratroopin'. They told us of the proposed POM for the reserve and the pending outdoor adventure development that will affect both Frontline and the Trenches.

Coincidently, a member of the Trust, Wendy Goonan, was also there and she gave us some more information on the future plans for the area. She was aware that the reserve is frequented by boulderers on a regular basis, and consultants hired to prepare the POM will talk to all park users (this includes us) to determine impacts on the park. She indicated that our access to the area for bouldering is currently NOT under threat. The Trust didn’t want to exclude any recreational users, but she was concerned about liability issues. The Trust is recognising climbers as formal users of the park and we will be consulted during the development of the POM.

The heritage consultants have identified the area underneath Paratroopin and Pockets of Resistance as a significant cultural site, one of many areas scattered along the creek line, and future access to these climbs are uncertain until the study and management recommendations are finalised.

To help keep access to the Balkans open, please act responsibly when at the crags and minimise your impact. This means taking all rubbish with you, staying on established tracks, scrub excess chalk off holds, being respectful to residents and flora and fauna. Please do not introduce unnecessary rubbish such as mattresses to the crags. It would be a great loss to the climbing community if we lost access to these areas.

I have given the Trust the web address for ACA and also my personal email. They will contact us when the POM is under way. I’ll post information as they come to hand.

Keep crankin’.

Sheila Binegas

There are 50 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints