Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Climbing on borrowed time 15-May-2009 At 2:47:38 PM Organ Pipe
My thinking about Arapiles changed significantly when I read Keith Lockwood’s ‘Arapiles a million mountains’ at the beginning of 2008.
When I’m belaying high up on the mount looking out over the fantastic vista I can’t but think about the way in which time affects, and has affected the mountain. For example, observing the wave smoothed stone at the base of Castle Crag, contemplating whether a rainforest even engulfed the crag, and imagining being present at some of the more instant events at the mount – such as the day the chock-stone at the top of P1 of D-Major fell into it’s current location.

I get to thinking: I wonder if we (mankind) vanished overnight, how long would it take for all the chalk to wash away, then beyond that, how long it would take for all the bolts and rap anchors to dissolve away.

Anyway, the point of this post is to query whether anyone has seen / been around for / or known of any of what I like to call those “instant events” that dramatically alter a climb. I mean we’re all climbing decaying stone after all, and although we may all be long gone by the time Kachoong’s roof flake dethatches, it’s gonna happen eventually right? Or the entire first pitch of The Seventh Pillar. It bends and flexes in the warmth of the sun each afternoon. Or the triangular section of stone at the end of the first pitch of Passport to Insanity (below the roof). These features are on borrowed time (albeit a very long time compared to our lives perhaps).

There are 30 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints