Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 81
Author
Coming out as a gay climber.
Darrren
29-Mar-2009
4:28:26 PM
Hello everyone! If you haven't already figured it out, I am gay. No big surprise. I know. I just wanted to clear the air. Have a nice day.

-Love Daz
Darrren
29-Mar-2009
6:08:41 PM
Thanks for the "story". However I dont understand why you needed to tell everyone your NOT gay. I hope you realize everyone is gay to some extent. Maybe you are insecure with your gayness? ;)
devlin66
29-Mar-2009
10:09:29 PM
?

Sabu
29-Mar-2009
10:15:34 PM
?!
dave
29-Mar-2009
10:25:15 PM
On 29/03/2009 Sabu wrote:
>?!

There was another post in between which the poster has obviously deleted.

Sabu
29-Mar-2009
10:57:05 PM
I know that, my post was more to do with the entire thread.

nmonteith
29-Mar-2009
11:01:02 PM
my bet is that this is a hacked account - someone left their computer logged in and their pesky friends have decided to post on his behalf.

p.s. homophobic posts will be deleted (and already have been)

Capt_mulch
30-Mar-2009
7:05:44 AM
On 29/03/2009 Darrren wrote:
>Hello everyone! If you haven't already figured it out, I am gay. No big
>surprise. I know. I just wanted to clear the air. Have a nice day.
>
>-Love Daz

Does this mean that you have to be more careful with your placement of pro than straight climbers? ;-)

Capt_mulch
30-Mar-2009
7:23:19 AM
On 30/03/2009 wallwombat wrote:
>Hello everyone! If you haven't already figured it out, I am drunk. No big
>surprise. I know. I just wanted to clear the air. Have a nice day.
>
>-Love Wombat

Hello everyone! If you haven't already figured it out, I sport climb. Not all the time though, it's more that if the situation arises where I can clip bolts, I'll do it. I think I do it more out of curiosity. I just wanted to clear the air. Have a nice day.

Love,

Nicky Na Na

Li
30-Mar-2009
7:27:31 AM
On 30/03/2009 Capt_mulch wrote:

>
>Does this mean that you have to be more careful with your placement of
>pro than straight climbers? ;-)

LOL.....thanks for the early morning larf - a good start to the day.

wallwombat
30-Mar-2009
7:37:46 AM
On 30/03/2009 Capt_mulch wrote:
>Hello everyone! If you haven't already figured it out, I sport climb.
>Not all the time though, it's more that if the situation arises where I
>can clip bolts, I'll do it. I think I do it more out of curiosity. I just
>wanted to clear the air. Have a nice day.
>
>Love,
>
>Nicky Na Na

I was going to comment but I didn't want to be labeled sportaphobic, so I decided not to.
rolsen1
30-Mar-2009
8:05:20 AM
On 29/03/2009 dave wrote:
>On 29/03/2009 Sabu wrote:
>>?!
>
>There was another post in between which the poster has obviously deleted.

The second post was made by a chockstone regular and contained a supportive comment but finished with the line "btw I'm not gay" obviously after Darren's reaction they deleted it.

Sabu
30-Mar-2009
8:12:50 AM
I fail to see how that comment was any sort of an issue and the reply seems very odd to
me.

nmonteith
30-Mar-2009
8:20:31 AM
On 30/03/2009 Sabu wrote:
>I fail to see how that comment was any sort of an issue and the reply seems
>very odd to
>me.

The second (benign) comment was deleted by the user them self - no idea why. The offensive comment was post #4 and was posted by a brand new user created anonymously. That comment and user has been deleted.

cruze
30-Mar-2009
8:53:11 AM
I posted a supportive comment between the first two posts above. It was taken one way by the original poster - the way that I did not intend. At the risk of the whole thread disintegrating into a slanging war I withdrew and deleted the post. I reckon that Darren's account has been hacked.
devlin66
30-Mar-2009
9:07:15 AM
This whole thread is gay!
Wendy
30-Mar-2009
10:27:07 AM
On 30/03/2009 devlin66 wrote:
>This whole thread is gay!

Ah, a thread ful of my pet peeves ....

Using gay as a term of abuse is really offensive. Being gay is an instrinsic part of some peoples lives and identity. No one ever says "this whole thread is straight". "So and so is so white". "I had the curlyhairest day". "What a poodle loving thing to do". Saying something is gay only has meaning in the context of the alienation and oppression of gay people.

I think it's great that cruze was supportive, especially if this was genuine, but as an example of appropriate behaviour anyway! However, I do see the problem with feeling a need to identify with not being gay. Being supportive of an individual or group doesn't mean that you are part of that group. I can support equality for black people without being black or an end to elephant poaching without being an elephant. I wouldn't feel a need to identify myself as not being black or an elephant. But part of the alienation of gay people is this perception that one has to point out that one is not gay (which is quite a common occurence) as if normally only gay people would be saying things in support of gay people and subtly perpetuating an us and them culture.

And if someone really has thought it would funny to hijack their friend's account like this, well, congratulations on having one of the smallest and least considerate minds around. How do you think it feels to the many people who are gay to have their sexuality used as a joke like this? What does it say about our acceptance of being gay as a natural and normal part of human life? How can we expect people to feel included in our society when we use a core part of their sense of self in these ways?

Capt_mulch
30-Mar-2009
10:48:32 AM
Duck! Snipers!!
devlin66
30-Mar-2009
10:49:32 AM
It's the same as calling someone a girl when they clearly are not. Yes it's derogatory (sp?) and if one is wound up a little then it will be offending. I have no problem with people being gay..... or being girls for that matter as I rather like girls. I am sorry if I offended anybody.

On a side note, one defintition of gay is happy. How did you know which way I was swingning when I said that?

nmonteith
30-Mar-2009
10:50:00 AM
Great reply Wendy. I agree 100%.

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 81
There are 81 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints