Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Definition of Onsight 3-Mar-2009 At 9:05:51 PM harold
All of the hardest first ascents of trad climbs of the last few years that I know of were lead placing gear on lead. That seams to be the standard for trad climbs at the cutting edge of difficulty. It seams that the runners are removed, and then placed on lead for each attempt. Meltdown, Cobra Crack, Walk of Life to name a few. I think that when Sony Trotter first did Rhapsody the gear was already in, so he went back later and did it again placing his own gear. Dave McCleod even lugged a No 4 Camelot up his insane Echo Wall climb.
The point is that placing gear is a major part of trad climbing, but it has next to zero importance in sport climbing. They are two completely different styles of climbing.
Myself, I'm quite happy to be a pink pointing fairy on trad if the climb is beyond me or my mate has just lead it. There are also the classic climbs that look so good that I really want to save for good onsight attempt.

There are 123 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints