Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climbing Thailand
tgiblin50
30-Sep-2008
9:51:52 AM
hey there heading to thailand in feb ( Ton Sai and Rai leh) for two weeks of climbing. Anyone have any advice or experiences they can share? What gear do we need to bring and what can we buy there? Any help would be fantastic

thanks heaps

phil_nev
30-Sep-2008
10:10:24 AM
I would be reluctant to hire gear over there. I would be taking Harness, shoes, lots of chalk, 15 Draws and a 60m rope. Get Sam Lightners guide (The green bible) and you cant go wrong with choice of routes.

simonu
30-Sep-2008
10:34:33 AM
Although I thought the grade table in the Green Bible was a couple of grades out, best take them with a pinch of salt.

Simon

Paulie
30-Sep-2008
10:49:25 AM
Take all your own gear,don'tworry about a rack, just 15 or so draws will suffice, and make sure you take shoes that can deal with small pockets, vertical smearing (i.e. stalactites and the like) and loads of heel hooking. A single 60 is good, take some long slings and single gates for slinging stuff and make sure you take a pair of 3/4 climbing pants for knee-barring etc.Buy one of those colourful mats as a rope bag and don't leave your wallet and important stuff in your hotel room, take it with you! IMO the VIP buses are the best way to get from Bangkok to Krabi, they're actually cheaper and faster than local transport. Oh and take loads and loads of good (e.g. Metolious) chalk!!! Also, you can buy this awesome mosquito repellant made from citronella which works better than anything else I've come across. Good stuff!

muki
30-Sep-2008
10:59:17 AM
When you get there, if flying in to Krabi Airport, go directly to Ao Nang and catch the boat to Ton Sai
from there, don't catch it from Krabi, this will save you a lot of walking, especially if its low tide.
Cash up with plenty of bhat and do all your shopping in Ao Nang for sundry items like food, citronella
oil mosquito repellent, and joss (incense) to ward of mossi's when climbing in the jungle crags, when in
Ton Sai buy water by the big 20 litre bottles, and fill what you need daily into a smaller day bottle or
camel back, way cheaper and less polluting, as big bottles are recycled rather than thrown away onto
a rubbish heap like smaller bottles.
rope bags are essential for keeping the shit out of your ropes when on the beach, or in the jungle.
Have fun it's a great place to climb, good rest day fun snorkelling or sea kiaking, check out the
butterfly farm in Ao Nang, and some Thai boxing or snake shows as well, pretty entertaining stuff.
Agree about the holiday grading system, everything will seem easy compared with home.
Check the biners that you rap off the anchors with, some of them are completely worn out by all the
sand running through them day after day! maybe bring some cheap replacement biners incase. BP
fish boy
30-Sep-2008
12:18:21 PM
Make sure you can always hear Bob Marley, otherwise you have walked too far.

tnd
30-Sep-2008
2:17:14 PM
If you're after easier grades and sick of queueing up at One-Two-Three area and Groove Tube all day, head over to Phi Phi for a couple of days. Some classics (esp two to four pitch routes) there and never too crowded with climbers.

NZclimber
30-Sep-2008
2:49:45 PM
A 60 or 70metre rope, 15 or so quickdraws. Buy standard meds before you get there (belly, pain killers etc). Insect repellant is key. and stock up on a few goods before going as mini mart prices are double mainland prices in Tonsai.
If you want cheap accomo, Krabi mountain view hire out tents in there old restaurant for 100 baht per nite with shared facilities, which is in a good spot and cheaper and less of a trek that the 150 baht huts up the hill.

And make sure you sign up for on of Wees deep water solo trips!

JimboV10
30-Sep-2008
3:56:54 PM
Hey guys,

Just got back from there in August.

Bus - Krabi from Bangkok: No way, did it once, takes 10-12 hours. Yes its cheaper but seriously, thats a whole day wasted

Accomodation: Stayed two resorts in Railay - Diamond Cave Bungalows and Ya Ya Resort. Preferred Ya Ya as middle of Railay, can walk everywhere, pretty cheap and has air con and HBO and power all day.
On Tonsai stay at Wees, little bunglows but need mozzie net.. No power from 3am - 6pmish...

And their is a new guide available at Wee's which has all the rebolting info updated. As above, do the DWS trip! I packed myself!

D.Lodge
30-Sep-2008
4:59:14 PM
Try not too take your best draws mine came back a bit worse for wear from all the salt and sand even though i did my best too keep them clean. Most important tip is too drink water and keep drinking until it feels stupid and that will probably be about the right amount. ANd definantley fly to Krabi i was with Jimbo and the Bus sucks the big one

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints