Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Glue for holds at HK Ward
dougo
25-Jul-2007
11:03:17 AM
I've been playing around a fair bit on the traverse on the brick wall behind the HK Ward gym in sydney uni, and there are a lot of holds (particularly some fairly crucial footholds) which have broken off over the years.

I was wondering if
a) anyone would have any objections to me glueing up a few small holds in the same spots as the old ones (I think Mikl Law is still on this forum, so i thought i'd ask just in case)
b) what glue should i use if given the all clear?

Thanks,
dougo

Eduardo Slabofvic
25-Jul-2007
11:16:50 AM
God damn retro gluers!!!

muki
25-Jul-2007
11:36:09 AM
speak to the First ascentionist before doing anything at all! this is very important when dealing with a
route of this callibre and cultural and histerical significance.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25-Jul-2007
12:27:22 PM
Just don't use carrot bolts.
I was told by a bloke who knows mousey that a Redarea fellah, reckons SS UBs are the go.

gordoste
25-Jul-2007
12:46:58 PM
On 25/07/2007 dougo wrote:
>b) what glue should i use if given the all clear?

Clag
Dalai
25-Jul-2007
12:53:02 PM
A 2 part epoxy product - both available locally

Megapoxy range (probably best to speak to the guys there.) -based in Sydney.

Or Sikadur-32 from Sika.com.au

wombly
25-Jul-2007
3:26:41 PM
I guess that technically this is a re-glue rather than a retro-glue...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
25-Jul-2007
5:09:32 PM
... especially if you use clag.
:)
mikl law
26-Jul-2007
9:02:12 AM
I think it's pretty good, and a lot cheaper than a trip to the gym. Particularly as I only last 30 minutes at either venue. Created in 1984, it's weathered well but needs some maintainence now.
1) yes, reglue, Megapoxy HT is cheapest, a lot of the failures are the bricks pulling apart. You mneed a good selection of hard (Nowra, railway bluestone, or ironstone flakes from the mountains) and flat-backed rocks and tape to hold them on
2) I might come help
3) Counting from left to right, panels 1 and 2 are supposed to be hard and should be left as such. Panels 3, 4, 5 should be easier, and the very far right panel should be hard. Panles 1, 2 and the far right should jusdt have haolds replaced
4) I've added quite a few holds to panel 5 so one can warm up. And added glue and sand so one can stand on those infernal grates aon the easy middel panels.

Do make people get too high, the ground is very hard

PM me

It actually quite cool, and frustratingly hard, lit up at night, has funny fauna (last time I was there, in daylight, were 2 fruit bats palying around in the trees, and there were one or 2 fixed bunnies back in the 80's) and boasts a selection of atractive uni students and nurses walking by
Benno
26-Jul-2007
9:51:31 AM
I've not got much experience with gluing stuff together except for back in primary school but I work at the uni and have previously had a bit of a play on the traverse so would be happy to help out as well. Just PM me when you want to do it.

There are 10 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints