Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
using a glue in ring bolt around the home

tepas
28-Apr-2007
8:36:24 AM
I want to attach an outdoor seat to a brick fence to avoid it getting nicked. Thinking about how I could attach a chain from it to our brick fence, it occurred to me that a glue in ring bolt would solve the problem perfectly and be a cool addition to my fence.

Is it possible to use a glue capsule with one of the funky glue in ring bolts? It needs to end up secure, but obviously not to the standards required of bolts in cliffs. I don't have any gear or experience, and I'm not going to spend a lot of money - can this be done with just a bolt, capsule and a hammer drill?

mousey
28-Apr-2007
12:27:17 PM
yes, it can. oh, and a brush & a bit of tubing.

tmarsh
28-Apr-2007
12:36:59 PM
For the sort of loads you will be talking about, you could probably get away with using ordinary araldite. Getting it in the hole might be a bit of a bother though. Drill the hole, brush it out, blow out any dust with your bit of plastic tube, then add your glue and bolt of choice.
TLockwood
28-Apr-2007
12:48:31 PM
Are you respecting the traditional aspects of this cliff/fence or should you be using carrots? or perhaps it should be bolt free ;-)
tastybigmac
28-Apr-2007
2:44:24 PM
go oldschool, bash in a pin!

Phil Box
28-Apr-2007
3:53:43 PM
You might want to investigate how the actual bricks were made, for instance are they the type of bricks full of holes. Brick is very soft comparatively speaking. Same goes for the mortar which can be either softer than the brick or harder than the brick. If you are going to cantilever the seat off the brick fence then you may be in danger of actually pulling the fence over.

Have a bit of a think mengineering wise before you commit to a course of action which may go bad.

muki
28-Apr-2007
5:20:38 PM
Hey Phil regarding the engineering!

On 28/04/2007 tepas wrote:
>I want to attach an outdoor seat to a brick fence to avoid it getting nicked.
>Thinking about how I could attach a chain from it to our brick fence,

mousey
28-Apr-2007
6:08:55 PM
what is the seat sitting on? if you have some concrete or something you'd be better off anchoring to that
tastybigmac
28-Apr-2007
6:32:42 PM
if you just sit on the seat you will notice if someone is stealing it

six-sevens
28-Apr-2007
11:19:38 PM
thread a stud into each leg then glue them all into the ground.

mousey
28-Apr-2007
11:35:10 PM
hide a car battery near the chair and put an alligator clip on each end. we used to do that to the school urnials but it never really worked, maybe you'll have better luck
james
29-Apr-2007
12:12:14 AM
On 28/04/2007 Phil Box wrote:
>off the brick fence then you may be in danger of actually pulling the fence
>over.

we tried to set up a slack line off a 6ft x 15m long brick fence & almost pulled it over!! the attachment was a section of angle iron dyna-bolted into 6 different bricks. do not under-estimate the forces generated by a slackline!!

I also put a ring-bolt into a concrete slab to chain my motorbike to - seemed to do the trick (no-one stole it anyway..).
Ronny
30-Apr-2007
12:53:00 PM
Tapas
You won't be able to use one of those glass capsule thingys, because you have to put the bolt in with the drill and it has to rotate. You can't get an appropriate attachment for the drill, and the slot that the bolt has to go into doesn't let it rotate. So the others are right - just get some aralydite, or liquid nails or something, drill the hole and the slot, push the glue in somehow and push the bolt in after.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Apr-2007
1:17:59 PM
Chemset type bolts and capsules are quite expensive and to my knowledge are hard to obtain as 'one offs' (ie come in minimum packs of 12 etc).
You can buy threaded ring bolts cheap at most hardware stores and are likely to be stronger than cheap chain from the same place.
IMO araldite sets quick but is brittle if whacked (by a determined thief with a hamnmer), and liquid nails is strong but takes a long time (read days till maximum strength achieved) to go 'off' when inside a hole in concrete. I would expect that it may be quicker in a more porous item like a brick wall.
Philthy was right about certain type of bricks having cavities within them. If you drill the brick and find it is that type then a simple 'toggle-bolt' will likely meet your need with a bit of glue placed on the thread end to stop an 'honest thief*' undoing the bolt from within its toggle.
(*For every measure there is a counter-measure; ie a determined thief will come armed with bolt-cutters etc).
Then you will progress to 'retro-bolting' heh, heh, heh.

nmonteith
30-Apr-2007
2:09:51 PM
On 30/04/2007 M9iswhereitsat wrote:
>(*For every measure there is a counter-measure; ie a determined thief
>will come armed with bolt-cutters etc).
>Then you will progress to 'retro-bolting' heh, heh, heh.

We have had bikes stolen form the front of our house that had their locks cut with an oxy torch (or
something like that!). We just got left with the melted remains of a lock.
Paul
30-Apr-2007
10:04:55 PM
On 30/04/2007 Ronny wrote:
>Tapas
>You won't be able to use one of those glass capsule thingys, because you
>have to put the bolt in with the drill and it has to rotate. You can't
>get an appropriate attachment for the drill, and the slot that the bolt
>has to go into doesn't let it rotate.
>

Petzl sell glass capsule glue to use with their ring bolts according to their catalogue
kieranl
30-Apr-2007
10:12:00 PM
With any ring-bolt, regardless of the glue, the tip of a long crow-bar in the eye and a twist will see it removed, especially in brick. As Neil said, if a thief wants to steal it they will. All you can do is make it difficult for the opportunistic thief.

Macciza
1-May-2007
12:16:52 AM
On 30/04/2007 Ronny wrote:
>Tapas
>You won't be able to use one of those glass capsule thingys, because you
>have to put the bolt in with the drill and it has to rotate.

Not strictly correct - You can also get 'hammer-caps' that do not need to be drilled in . .

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints