HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
VCC Access and Environment - Volunteers Required!
Access T CliffCare
2-Feb-2007
2:57:26 PM
Hi All. Tracey, Access and Environment Officer from the VCC here. Thought I would start an Access and Environment topic so that I can keep you updated on any relevant issues rather that starting specific topics everytime I have something to share . What do you think? This info can also be accessed via the VCC website.

Werribee Gorge - Tony Morris, Ranger for Werribee Gorge, has informed me that they have inspected the damage and will have to replace the whole section of stairs. They are currently organizing materials and workforce to undertake this and will, again, let me know when it is all in place. Though as it is still open, and again, care should be taken, some of you will no doubt get to see it before I get to post.

Cheers

nmonteith
2-Feb-2007
3:00:15 PM
On 2/02/2007 Access T wrote:
>Werribee Gorge - Tony Morris, Ranger for Werribee Gorge, has informed
>me that they have inspected the damage and will have to replace the whole
>section of stairs. They are currently organizing materials and workforce
>to undertake this and will, again, let me know when it is all in place.
> Though as it is still open, and again, care should be taken, some of you
>will no doubt get to see it before I get to post.

Since this has happened twice in as many years - are they considering more robust stairs (ie metal)?

kuu
2-Feb-2007
3:13:42 PM
On 2/02/2007 nmonteith wrote:
>
>Since this has happened twice in as many years - are they considering
>more robust stairs (ie metal)?

More robust "treatment" of the perpetrators might be a good idea too.
dalai
2-Feb-2007
3:23:09 PM
May I ask what has happened to the stairs?

Also on a side note, the link to the new access directions for Werribee Gorge on the VCC Cliffcare page is a broken link...
Access T CliffCare
2-Feb-2007
3:26:34 PM
On 2/02/2007 nmonteith wrote
>Since this has happened twice in as many years - are they considering
>more robust stairs (ie metal)?

Will get back to you on the specifics. I would imagine there are a number of options they could go with. Metal, although stronger, would be less harmonius to the environment. Maybe the possibility of reinforcing the stairs, if in fact they are choosing to go with wood, with a strong metal/wire mesh, might solve this and the problem of metal becoming slippery when wet - the steps being quite steep. The upper steps have some kind of mesh which seems to be quite sturdy.

nmonteith
2-Feb-2007
3:32:22 PM
i always wondered if the handrails were really necessary. there are quite a few routes around to the right
of redex that get regular ascents, and currently you need to clamber up and over the railing to get to
them. its a bit strange when the sole reason the walkway is there is for climbers. Its not like they are
trying to keep tourists out or anything? If they reinforced the steps and ditched the handrail it would be
visibily more 'harmonious' and more robust (less to damage!). i could be speaking total crap though.

Rupert
2-Feb-2007
3:55:48 PM
Even metal "stairs" are going to get trashed if the trundlers start trundling.
Big rocks + height = broken stuff

In line with what Neil was saying, perhaps some rock steps (without rails) or stabilisation with timber sleepers similar to the Camel's Hump might be a whole lot more trundleproof.

JamesMc
2-Feb-2007
7:44:57 PM
I don't understand why the stairs / boardwalk @ Werribee Gorge were put there in the first place.

The left half of the cliff always had flat, stable ground underneath. The right half of the cliff, (right of Golgotha) was always a problem, and remains so, but that's not where the platform is.

They should just clean up the broken stuff and take it away.

James Mc
Access T CliffCare
13-Feb-2007
12:17:53 AM
Hi All. Tracey VCC Access and Environment Officer here. Have posted this also on another topic.

Mt. Buffalo. After speaking with the Head Ranger, have been informed that most of the areas are open. Basically wherever the walking tracks are open means access is allowed. Buckland Slabs at the end of Dixons Fall Walking Track are closed. There is severe tree damage due to being twice burned. Please adhere to these closures. Also visit website www.parkweb.vic.gov.au to check for any updates. Lake Catani campground is open. Entry to park is free until Easter.

PreferKnitting
13-Feb-2007
8:49:01 AM
How about getting rid of the staircase altogether and replace with bolts for a semi hanging belay? Just a short rap in from the top and climb out.

Wooden staircase have never been environmentally sensitive IMHO.
Access T CliffCare
25-Feb-2007
11:07:34 PM
BUNDALEER RE-OPENING WORK PARTY

The much awaited re-opening of Bundaleer is on the very near horizon. Easter to be exact. There has been much work going on, by many people in order to put this and other Grampian areas back on the climbing map. And now it’s your opportunity to help realize the Easter re-opening. Can’t do it without you. Lots of work to be done. Many hands make…..I’m sure you know the rest.

So, on March 24th and 25th the VCC will be running a work party at Bundaleer. Most of the work involves getting the track back into working order.
And this is the call for volunteers. A great opportunity to be involved, make a difference and make sure that we stay on track. And such a small amount of time to give up to get back what you have all been missing or even, yet to experience. Food will be provided.

Please contact me via cliffcare@vicclimb.org.au to let me know that you’re available and also if you have had any track maintenenance experience. This is not a pre-requisite though. We welcome all your help. I will then contact you closer to the date with all the relevant information you will need. As I said, we can’t do it without you.

Thanks

Tracey Skinner
VCC Access and Environment Officer
Access T CliffCare
24-Feb-2009
10:09:50 AM
Hi All,

I knew that I had a general thread started up about Access & Environment somewhere..a long time ago. Thought I would use this for various access info etc.

VOLUNTEERS REQUIRED

There are many ways you can help and volunteer. Maybe you can’t find the time to get to a cliff and help out with the working bees. Never fear – I have something just for you...

Graphically skilled person – Looking for someone who can help with some great visuals for a series of CliffCare Posters. You can help to get the message across and at the same time have your art(acknowledged) seen in all the right climbing places.

Rock gang – Join us for a fun and strenuous (yes, they go together) weekend at Easter. Sunday 12th April, Mt Arapiles Pharos Gully.
Compare your sore muscles and blisters at the end of the day. Share a chocolate egg or two in a collapsed heap. Sign up now for a
stretcher team!

Handyperson – Like to make things? CliffCare
needs about 8 stretchers for the Rock gang to haul their rocks. Simple design.

Materials – For the above. Wooden poles preferable. Canvas/hessian. Material bags to be used for the base. What’s in your shed?
So…what you waiting for? The invites there. Give me a call, send me an email. cliffcare@
vicclimb.org.au 0419563 733

*I am still having no luck being able to edit topic titles. No edit button comes up for me and I started the thread. Mods can you help? Thought it might be good to add a sub heading that has some relevance to a new post in this thread. See my old thread editing topic titles. Help!

Cheers,
Tracey
Access T CliffCare
2-Mar-2009
4:36:19 PM
New week. New viewers. New bump!
bennybuoy
5-Mar-2009
8:57:49 PM
Bump! I'm in.
Access T CliffCare
15-Mar-2009
5:01:03 PM
bumpity bump
kieranl
15-Mar-2009
5:35:59 PM
On 24/02/2009 access t wrote:
>*I am still having no luck being able to edit topic titles. No edit button
>comes up for me and I started the thread. Mods can you help? Thought
>it might be good to add a sub heading that has some relevance to a new
>post in this thread. See my old thread editing topic titles. Help!
>
Tracey,
did anyone help you with editing topic titles?
Editing the first post in the thread lets you edit the topic title as well as the body.
Access T CliffCare
15-Mar-2009
6:25:53 PM
On 15/03/2009 kieranl wrote:

>>
>Tracey,
>did anyone help you with editing topic titles?
>Editing the first post in the thread lets you edit the topic title as
>well as the body.

Yes thanks Kieran. It was a tech glitch due to myself not always logging on using upper and lower case. Although I could log on and post regardless of this, for some reason it wouldn't allow me to edit my previous posts, titles or otherwise. Mods have kindly sorted it out for me(many thanks) so can edit to my hearts content.
Access T CliffCare
20-Mar-2009
3:48:19 PM
On 24/02/2009 access t wrote:
>
>Materials – For the above. (snip) Canvas/hessian. Material
>bags to be used for the base. What’s in your shed?
>So…what you waiting for? The invites there. Give me a call, send me an
>email. cliffcare@
>vicclimb.org.au 0419563 733

Anybody with any canvas , hessian etc
Access T CliffCare
23-Mar-2009
7:23:07 PM
There are some pics up on our smugmug site showing some of the work needed in the area.
http://vicclimbingclub-cliffcare.smugmug.com/

There are 19 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints