Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
blue lake ice conditions
bradc
3-Jul-2006
11:21:11 AM
went into Blue Lake for a day trip Wednesday last week from Charlottes Pass. The snow is still patchy on the walk/ski in and blue lake is about 4/5 frozen over. It was my first time in there so can't provide comparison with other seasons but the ice seemed in good formation and the snow gullies are not too banked up. A series of ice formations in the centre of the face provide a good range of climb types from frozen pillars to ice slabs and snow bank connections. Some of the rock faces looked like they would have mixed climbs once more ice had formed. Will post some photos once I figure how to compress them
Dr_Nik
12-Jul-2006
11:38:00 AM
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the beta, any word on those piccies?

Im looking to go down there soon to have a little play on the ice, so if anyone has any more info on the conditions down there it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Nik

Vertigo
12-Jul-2006
5:51:27 PM
Please Please ! more ice baby! look forward to the photos!
tangles
12-Jul-2006
9:42:31 PM
Guys, The only time I was ever up at Blue Lake to try iceclimbing we had 3 days of whiteout & blizzard conditions. Needless to say we climbed & saw Nothing! I'm just wondering if you know of a website or place with photos detailing some of the routes or climbs, as I'm hoping to try again later this season. Tks JD.
(PS. DO you know if the oversnow transport drops you at the chalet or up at Charlottes pass itself?)

mousey
13-Jul-2006
6:42:00 AM
hans oversnow, catch it from the far end of the perisher center
climberman
13-Jul-2006
7:29:27 AM
Tangles if you ask politely the oversnow will drop you at the point where the (summer) road intersection is - not at the Pass proper, but not down in the guts of 'Ole Charlotte Town either.

For routes or climbs I reckon just get out there and start swinging. I'd suggest my BC skiing website, but I have been a lam-o and it's offline atm.

Paulie
14-Jul-2006
7:36:00 PM
Is anyone heading out anywhere soon? I'm back on Monday and keen to swing the axes again! Drop me a line if you are and don't mind me tagging along.

Paulie

Ell
17-Jul-2006
9:10:02 PM
I'm definitely keen for a trip down there too!

Gotta make use of my sweet axes.

Romfrantic
17-Jul-2006
9:49:26 PM
If you guys are after Blue Lake climbing partners for this season (or just curious to see who to potentially go with), you can check out the "Blue Lake Season 2006" under "Database" in the aussiemountaineers website ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aussiemountaineers/ ) to access a list of people who are heading out there this winter - you'are also welcome to sign up and add your details to that downloadable list. Hope it helps.

Paulie
19-Jul-2006
1:46:02 AM
Thanks very much mate. Hoping some of my more local mates can wipe the dust off their axes too!

Paulie

vwills
24-Jul-2006
12:38:24 AM
Just back after a splendid long weekend at Blue Lake. Walked in from Guthega. No snow until you cross the Snowy R near Illawong, then its pretty sparse. However there is very solid ice at Blue Lake- given the usual proviso that its only 15m high max. Some flows are very thin and more suitable to TR, but there are some bomber ice screw placements and you can link several tiers to give 40m routes. (All things are relative).
Fri and Sat were cold and excellent conditions. Sunday was a little warm, more suitable for ski touring. We walked in daily from upper Twynam Ck. We had snow shoes but they were only necessary to walk out from camp today.
A reminder to anyone heading there- the lake catchment area is out of bounds for camping. Two other groups were camping illegally just below Blue Lake. Don't give KNP an excuse to ban climbing.

mousey
24-Jul-2006
8:39:46 AM
wicked thanks ness, im gonna walk in from guthega (im working there most days, come say hi!) as soon as i can drag myself away from riding (as shit as the snow is, theres been 2 days in the last 4 or 5 weeks that i havent been boarding...)

mousey
25-Jul-2006
3:18:39 AM
i thought spending a couple days together & making out on my bed was a sure sign that she was as into me as i was her, but i guess i just wasnt reading the signs right. we got home tonight and she hopped into bed with my flatmate in front of my eyes and wouldnt even talk to me. chicks are so f---ing lame.
what ISNT lame though is that its puking snow hard as right now! probly 15-20cm today, and still going hard when i left the hill this arvo. as long as it stays cold and doesnt turn to rain, be here on wednesday for some EPIC pow

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints