Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climbing Partner Nicknames
pablitodawes
18-May-2006
11:53:53 AM
Do all non-sexual climbing partnerships have nicknames for each other or is it just me and mine? I'm called "The Flailmaster" because of the elegance, style and grace with which i conduct myself up a route. "Captain Zigzag" is so known because of his mastery in gear extension and the immense strength he has in overcoming extreme rope drag.

Super Saiyan
18-May-2006
12:19:07 PM
We got Lanky Bastard/Pretty Boy- me (go the +8cm apefactor!) , Master Splinter- Brett becuase he is older and wiser, Beefcake for Darcy coz he is beefcake and doesnt use feet ever, Fat Bastard for Rich jsut so we can have something over him coz he outclimbs us....

mousey
18-May-2006
12:27:54 PM
my belayer is 'take'
where's simon from the gym? fill us all in on the psuedo-nicknames dude?

Sabu
18-May-2006
2:28:08 PM
We have pretty much one for every member of our group.
Springbok, Captain c--kfag, Madam F., Butters and im sure we'll think of some more in the future!!

JJ
18-May-2006
7:45:31 PM
Mine is called Handsome.

Doddy's half ropes are called Good & Bad.

skink
18-May-2006
9:33:56 PM
Many of the keen climbers in my local climbing club have/had nicknames...
Holey Man, cos he used his gear till it was well trashed
Stunt, because of a scrambling incident which saw him do a perfectly executed cartwheel down a scree slope
Scotsman, cos, well, he was scottish
Frenchy, cos he was from England
Fosey won Kenobi, for reasons too difficult to explain, but had to do with a Star Wars promotional 'light-sabre' spoon found in a Kellogs Cornflakes box
K2, why I don't know

Sabu
19-May-2006
11:36:30 PM
On 18/05/2006 andesite wrote:
>Frenchy, cos he was from England
lol!!!

climbau
20-May-2006
8:27:36 AM
Pump - always pumped to go climbing.
Monster - Last name was Cook, hence Cook(ie) Monster
Gutz - We could never pronounce his latin surname!!!

Hatman
20-May-2006
5:23:10 PM
little tim - he is 6 foot 3

monkey boy

ass master

master beta

man boobs
mockmockmock
20-May-2006
6:02:03 PM
Billy or more usually Alphabet... His parents really needed to buy a vowel!!!

Ralph
Pensioner
25-May-2006
4:02:23 PM
No nicknames to speak of in my circles in the 80s, the the exception of 'Bangla". Perhaps we did need them. Instance one day putting up a new route at Crawfords Crag. On the other end of my rope was Peter. On the other rope was Peter and Peter. Taking photographs on the ground was Peter. At one stage I called out to one Peter and four answered.

nmonteith
25-May-2006
4:28:08 PM
How about Melon?
Pensioner
25-May-2006
10:10:10 PM
How about melon.. well, I may go by the handle of pensioner, but I consider Melon (and Veg and Bengla etc) to be the generation before mine. They climbed on hemp and wore wool shirts and grew beards. We imitated Hanry Barbers lack of sartorial style. White flairs and flat hats. Sad really. But I maintain that in my circle nicknames were only for the exceptional. Claw does come to mind. It was mostly surnames around our camp fires. Shades of Tilman? First names got a bit confusing for obvious reasons.
PS My finest and boldest climbing moment was ringing the Wild office and asking to speak to Melon.

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints