Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
Author
Belly rings + climbing?

Jess
9-Nov-2005
6:07:53 PM
Does anyone here climb with a belly ring/bar? I want to get mine done in the future but am worried that it will will restrict my climbing because
a) it might catch on clothing or my harness and rip out
b) be more likely to get infected with the dirty/chalky climbing environment and
c) it might restrict movement ?? ie stretching up for a hold or something.

In other words I don't want to get it done if it will affect my climbing or could be torn out. There are a few threads on rc.com but only one person had it catch and rip out. Just wanted to know if any other people have this happen or had any other problems with climbing and a belly ring.

Super Saiyan
9-Nov-2005
6:09:42 PM
I dont have one, but wouldnt putting tape over it while climbing protect it enough??

Megan
9-Nov-2005
6:19:27 PM
I've had one for many years (so long I tend to forget it's there). It doesn't restrict movement, doesn't catch on clothes, doesn't get infected, and I've spent plenty of time climbing just in a crop top without it getting caught on anything either.

Jess
9-Nov-2005
6:21:43 PM
It probably would but when it first gets done it takes a while to heal and is a bit sensitive so you're not 'supposed' to weartight tops and stuff. Tape would probably be similar and cause it to hurt or become adgitated. Taking the tape off afterwards might be a bit painful too!!! Best thing to do would be to stop climbing for a couple of weeks until it heals but I don't really wanna do that...

Jess
9-Nov-2005
6:23:33 PM
Megan is yours a ring or a bar?

Megan
9-Nov-2005
6:25:49 PM
Mine's a ring (I've had a bar but it annoyed me, so I never wear it). And for the first few weeks, I had a pad taped over it to protect it from memory.

shaggy
9-Nov-2005
6:48:31 PM
Yeah, I've got one too, no probs....

Hang on, no, thats just some food stuck to some Belly button lint, sorry, my bad.
kieranl
9-Nov-2005
10:11:56 PM
You might have a bit of a problem with the second pitch of Monarch

Sabu
9-Nov-2005
10:17:16 PM
On 9/11/2005 shaggy wrote:
>Yeah, I've got one too, no probs....
>
>Hang on, no, thats just some food stuck to some Belly button lint, sorry,
>my bad.
LOL last years spaghetti!!

cheesehead
10-Nov-2005
7:28:42 AM
I think long hair and abseil devices are more of a concern.
I haven't seen belly button accesory issues before

dr_fil_good
10-Nov-2005
9:16:25 AM
I have a nipple ring (of about 4 years), it's fine when I'm climbing - although I know for sure that if / when I get the other nipple pierced it's going to be a pain in the arse with climbing. I just by chance happened to be yakking about it to a climbing chummy of mine on Sunday about it, and she suggested just taping over it ... can't believe it didn't even strike me ... so now I'm keen to get my other nipple done.

*shudder* long hair and abseil devices suck arse!!! I've taken a group out canyoning before with a few newbs and one guy had mega long hair that got caught in his device - fortunately I'd taught him the art of prussiking before hand and he was able to get off the device without too much hassle and kept his full lock of hair (much to everyone else's dismay) - I've seen a few other incidents like that and everytime it makes me cringe.

my greatest concern is taking a fall above my first bolt on a steep route (45 deg +) and knackering myself on the taught rope below ... but that's just getting waaaaay off topic.

Belly button piercings are _hot_!!! Do it!!! My list of piercings that look good on a girl - belly button rings, nipple studs & rings, ears (I like dangly stuff with a nice frock), nose studs, and for fun and interests sake, tounge piecings are great too. Don't go nuts though ...

Sabu
10-Nov-2005
10:35:48 AM
On 10/11/2005 dr_fil_good wrote:
>my greatest concern is taking a fall above my first bolt on a steep route
>(45 deg +) and knackering myself on the taught rope below ... but that's
>just getting waaaaay off topic.
we had that happen at our school wall to a newb!! he was trying to climb the roof on toperope and came off only to twist round and fly into the other rope...there was nothing he could do!!

skip1
10-Nov-2005
11:12:08 AM
Yeah i got one... got it done when i was younger and climbing. I vaguely recall going into the gym the next day and finding the harness a bit painful, so you might need to stick to bouldering for a few days. I have a bar now but started with a ring which is probably a better idea. I think the strangest thing about getting a belly button ring, is that it feels like, u know that weird feeling when u stick ur finger in ur belly button (not that i do this often) for the first couple of days.

Jess
10-Nov-2005
12:37:06 PM
my greatest concern is taking a fall above my first bolt on a steep route
>(45 deg +) and knackering myself on the taught rope below ... but that's
>just getting waaaaay off topic.

>Belly button piercings are _hot_!!! Do it!!! My list of piercings that
>look good on a girl - belly button rings, nipple studs & rings, ears (I
>like dangly stuff with a nice frock), nose studs, and for fun and interests
>sake, tounge piecings are great too. Don't go nuts though ...

haha a bit off the topic but still funny! nipple rings might not be as much of a problem coz they're higher up and not near the harness.
I'd like to get my nose done too...just a tiny sparkly stud but i probably wont it done for a while coz of the paranoid parents.

The Elk
10-Nov-2005
1:00:04 PM
I got my belly button ring done a few years back now, 3 hours after the belly buttin ring was in I was bouldering and climbing at the gym.... it bled a teensy bit, no more than a pin prick would, and it's never caused me a problem.
The worst part is actually getting it done then it's all over! Everyone's different though.

My partner has a nipple ring and he had hassles for weeks afterward. He was leading in the gym a wekk or so after and the rope hit it as he was clipping a draw and it bled and hurt for ages! Belly button rings are easy.... no problems like that at all!

dr_fil_good
10-Nov-2005
2:35:54 PM
Oh you'd be surprised how often you knock parts of your body. When I got my nipple done it took a couple of months before it stopped being so freaken sensative ... I think it becomes one of those two way things, you stop being so sensative but at the same time your mind becomes subconcious about avoiding being knocked or caught on anything ... I still, once in a blue moon will get it caught on something and it hurts like hell - the worst was when doing grappeling in kung fu ... ouchie ouchie ouchies

I say, just go for it, the taping idea sounds funtastic ... yeah, your harness may knock into it from time to time but if you are falling properly you will hopefully be caught on the bum side of your harness ...

Let us know how much you lurve it!!!
Flip

cantcrimp
10-Nov-2005
3:54:49 PM
I have hand my navel pirced for a long time now (about 10 years) and have had no trouble with it while climbing but I did meet a chick who tore her's out with the rope she tied her chalkbag on with!
simey
10-Nov-2005
11:39:26 PM
On 10/11/2005 dr_fil_good wrote:
>Belly button piercings are _hot_!!! Do it!!!

No, don't!

Call me old and conservative, but I reckon belly button piercings look shit. Good stomachs on girls are what's hot (and they certainly don't need any adornment).

As for belly button piercings on fat, exposed mid-riffs... God help me!

shaggy
10-Nov-2005
11:40:20 PM
Ha ha ha ha!

LouK
11-Nov-2005
12:30:48 AM
No truer word...

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 38
There are 38 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints