HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climbing around San Francisco & Minneapolis?

tepas
18-Apr-2005
6:54:21 PM
Well you guys were so helpful when I was heading to Font, that I thought I'd try again.

I'm going to be spending some time in San Jose, San Francisco & Minneapolis at the start of May, and I was hoping to sneak in some visits to local rocks... Can anyone recommend anywhere I should try to get to? I'll have a car, but not much time to get anywhere, and no climbing partner :(

So any ideas?

Thanks!
dalai
18-Apr-2005
7:31:31 PM
Can help with San Francisco (was based there for 6 months back in 95)

Firstly check out the resource http://www.climbingbayarea.com/rock/bayarea.html

Better local stuff is bouldering.

- Indian rock http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=264 and Mortar rock http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=7621 just up the road in Berkley is a great little venue, both different from each other. Indian Rock has many eliminant problems, alot of history and easier problems. Mortar rock has the classic Nat's Traverse V8 and a few other really good harder problems.

-Castle Rock near San Jose - claimed to be like Font and made famous as Chris spent some time there. Best to leave alone for a couple of days after rain as the sandstone is soft.

Local climbing is really limited with the best of what's there being Mickeys beach in Marin county north of the city. Limited and best at low tide. If you like steep climbing, the brilliant Endless Bummer is just up the road and isn't dependant on the tide like the main area is.

If you have any more questions fire away. San Francisco is a really great city!!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Apr-2005
8:10:10 PM
Compared to Australia, San Francisco is only a 'spit' away from Yosemite.

Go for it.

tepas
23-Apr-2005
6:44:59 AM
Thanks guys - got another reply via PM too. I'll follow up on your comments about the stuff that's pretty local. Despite being so much closer to Yosemite, I don't think I'm going to make it... time commitments etc. Suppose I'll have to hit up the locals for info about Minneapolis - if I see anything good, I'll let people know :)

There are 4 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints