Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Flicking ulnar nerve

LittleJames
31-Mar-2005
11:39:14 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this condition before? My ulnar nerves on both my elbows flick quite noticeably, but for four years it never affected my climbing - until about a month ago, when within a week or so I went from nothing to being almost unable to pull down (pain and numbness). I went to a sports physician this morning, who told me that outside of surgery there's really nothing that can be done.

Has anyone else had problems with this before? And if so, do they have any ideas for treatment/management? The surgery suggested involves transposing my ulnar nerve around to the front of my elbow(!), but I'm extremely reluctant because of the possibility of serious complications (including having my right hand turned into a claw for the rest of my life!).

No more climbing isn't a good option, but unfortunately it's starting to look that way... :(

LittleMac
31-Mar-2005
12:13:42 PM
Haven't had any personal experience with this condition but have known other people with similar nerve problems. They have been able to recover both with and without surgery (obviously varying levels of nerve damage etc). My suggestion would be to go see Julian Saunders and get his advice. Contact details below,

Dr Julian Saunders
Athlon Sports Medicine
41 Johnson St
Fitzroy, 3065

Being a climber as well as an osteo he may have come across this before and at the very least will be able to give you a second opinion on the injury. I've always found him to be excellent (it helps not to have to explain everything all the time). I've always worked on the theory that when major surgery is involved get at least two opinions and talk to the best. Sorry to hear the bad news, hope it all works out.
rightarmbad
31-Mar-2005
4:09:11 PM
I had a problem with my elbow after cracking a bone during a cycling fall. When it healed it had a reduced range of movement, and every time I tried to shoot a basketball it would shoot pain up my arm as the arm straightened after the release of the ball. I lived with this for a year until a physio fixed it in one, by getting me to put my elbow on my knee and him placing as much force as he could against my straightened arm. Hurt like hell, especially when the force was released, but fixed it up there and then. He said it reformed the cartilage to the correct shape.

LittleJames
31-Mar-2005
10:27:03 PM
On 31/03/2005 rightarmbad wrote:
>I had a problem with my elbow after cracking a bone during a cycling fall.
>When it healed it had a reduced range of movement, and every time I tried
>to shoot a basketball it would shoot pain up my arm as the arm straightened
>after the release of the ball. I lived with this for a year until a physio
>fixed it in one, by getting me to put my elbow on my knee and him placing
>as much force as he could against my straightened arm. Hurt like hell,
>especially when the force was released, but fixed it up there and then.
>He said it reformed the cartilage to the correct shape.

Thanks, that's interesting and would no doubt be very useful it it had anything to do with my problem. :) (Unless it does and I'm too tired to realise it.) I'll keep it in mind though.
fatty
31-Mar-2005
11:18:11 PM
Wow- i have the exact same problem with the flicking in both elbows and thought i was the only one.. the pain i get though normally feels like the nerve needs to be stretched or even flicked if that makes any sense? Goodluck with it though, and let us know what you do to fix the damn problem!

almontyrat
1-Apr-2005
12:09:31 PM
I second the recomendation of Julain Saunders.

He has recently relieved me of an Ulna Nerve impingement that was giving me grief when climbing. My problem was mainly caused by some bone growth and muscle stiffness in my neck but with lots of crunching and often very painful muscle manipulation, is now totally gone.

Although your problem is obviously of quite different origin, Julian may well be able to offer you some advice on non surgical options.

Good luck :-)

LittleJames
2-May-2005
12:12:59 PM
So, just to follow up, in case anyone's interested.

I've had x-rays and ultrasounds and all that done, and gotten a clearer picture of my problems. Basically, due to the severe (and apparently extremely unusual) degree with which my nerve flicks, the sheath around the nerve is irritated. As my sports physician puts it, this won't really heal, and no matter how long a rest I take will probably come back as soon as I start climbing again. Which sucks.

But. My nerve itself isn't damaged. (Thank God.) So I'm allowed to gradually start climbing again. Think I might take this as a sign to stop climbing with my arms all the time... Time to get out to Booroomba and sort out the old footwork.

oweng
2-May-2005
12:45:55 PM
Good Luck with it James!

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints