Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Shoe sizing
rush
22-Jan-2005
1:02:57 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering what shoe sizes everyone was, and what size they took in climbing shoes. Is there much of a difference? Im looking to buy some second hand/online, and wanted to have some idea of what I was getting into.

I have only really climbed gyms before, and some fun stuff at Camels Hump and Hanging Rock, so im certainly not looking for anything special! Thanks in advance for your help. :)
Ronny
22-Jan-2005
10:45:38 AM
I find it varies alot depending on the brand, and your level of tolerance for squashed feet. Best to head in to a climbing shop in town and make like you're going to buy a pair, to be sure that you really get it right.
(du)Ron

runnit
22-Jan-2005
10:53:11 AM
A good test is to stand on your toes when you're wearing your shoes because that's what it going to be like when you're edging. Your tips should be snug against the end of the toe box.

Don't forget the leather will stretch a little too.

matt
22-Jan-2005
2:25:42 PM
hanging rock ey??? when and how'd you get away with it? i take it your local to the area?

Because atm i'm lying on the couch looking at it...
Rush
22-Jan-2005
4:47:15 PM
Ive always just driven in and parked in the car park there. Then just gone either around the back, or to the right of the trail. Ive never used ropes to climb there at all, so its mainly been fun/mucking around type stuff.

Thanks for the help guys. What size normal shoes are you compared to your rock shoes?
malnosaj
22-Jan-2005
5:28:34 PM
Different brands have different sizing...Five Ten try to make their sizes the same as your normal everyday shoe. Best to go into the shops and try some on...My Scarpa's were size 42, and my Five Tens were 42, the difference was as much as an inch! Thought it was really wierd until the guy at the shop told me about the sizings...the Sportivas i just bought are size 37 1/2..so yea go into a shop and check.

adski
23-Jan-2005
5:45:10 PM
I'd say most peeps have a larger walking shoe than climbing shoe, by about 4 euro sizes or 1.5 - 2 british. eg i'm 40.5 / 44.5, 6.5/8.5
gfdonc
24-Jan-2005
12:13:28 PM
I generally take 45 (10 1/2) for walking shoes but my climbing shoes are 42 or 43. Never tried sizing any 5.10's though.
Currently am struggling with breaking in my Chili Phantom's .. they are a very tight fit and become v. painful after 3-4 pitches. No fun. I think they are marked "42.5".
- Steve

climbau
24-Jan-2005
9:50:17 PM
I'm normally a size 9Uk/43-44 in street shoes, and range from 39.5 to 42.5 depending on brand. 39.5 in La Sportiva Mirages, 42.5 in Mad Rock Phoenix, 41.5 La Sportiva Synchro, 42 in Scarpa velcro Vision, 41 in Boreal Zen.

Basically make and model will vary in sizing.

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints