sjm
28-Dec-2004
7:08:28 AM
"The Age" has published an introductory story on rock climbing:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/12/27/1103996493276.html

rodw
28-Dec-2004
7:40:28 AM
Nice picture of Cranky, grade 20, at Barrenjoey for a Victorian mag. Just check out that nice rusty home made hanger:)

tmarsh
28-Dec-2004
7:45:47 AM
If that article were any lamer, you'd call a vet and put it down. Woeful.
The only thing I'm thankful for is that they didn't call it 'the Arapiles'.

tim
gfdonc
28-Dec-2004
10:19:31 AM
The print version this morning has a couple of large pics of a well-known roof at Araps, allegedly taken by "Paul Kachoong". Will the mysterious Paul please come forward?
- Steve
BA
28-Dec-2004
12:17:03 PM
They also have the president of the VCC down as Tom, rather than Tony, obviously a typo. And as for "the best places to rock climb" the only mention of the Grampians was for the VCC learn to lead courses!!! The "adventure course" people seem pretty keen on the Brisbane Ranges (aka Staughton Vale), The Youies and Werribee get a mention as well.

One thing they did get 100% correct was "A fantastic Australian rock climbing resource for beginners is www.chockstone.org" Take a bow Michael and all your helpers, and especially Steve at Rock Hardware for supporting your efforts.

adski
28-Dec-2004
12:44:21 PM
On 28/12/2004 tmarsh wrote:
>The only thing I'm thankful for is that they didn't call it 'the Arapiles'.

I hear you Tim!
Another that makes me cringe is 'the Wolgans'.

"I love the Wolgans almost as much as the Arapiles"..

Rich
28-Dec-2004
3:04:41 PM
Yeh they invited us (RMIT outdoors club) to submit a write-up for the article but not everyone agreed it was a good idea.. Its not too bad an article. They seem to have got the basics basically correct.. ;)

LittleJames
28-Dec-2004
3:32:27 PM
I'm curious whether an article like that will have a noticeable increase in gumbies at Melbourne gyms...

When I was working at a gym in Canberra a couple of years ago, the only media that seemed to provoke people into trying out climbing was the release of Spider-Man: The Movie.

Tel
28-Dec-2004
4:23:49 PM
On 28/12/2004 LittleJames wrote:
>I'm curious whether an article like that will have a noticeable increase
>in gumbies at Melbourne gyms...

And its attitudes and terms like that that will stop people after a week or two and have them referring to climbers as wankers

LittleJames
28-Dec-2004
5:03:21 PM
Easy tiger, no offence meant. I don't use gumbie as an offensive or belittling term. Perhaps I should have whacked a smiley on the end there, as I seem to have hit a nerve.

Happy new year.

Tel
28-Dec-2004
5:15:34 PM

On 28/12/2004 LittleJames wrote:
>Easy tiger, no offence meant.

easy tiger... I have mate with a penchant for that phrase, makes me laugh everytime.
And yep a nerve was hit, but you cleared it up, so fair enough... happy new year also. ;-)

(removed)
29-Dec-2004
1:38:18 PM
Should have seen the number of extra climbers at the gyms when Cliffhanger the movie was released (1993 ???)

LittleJames
29-Dec-2004
1:47:01 PM
To quote from Die Hard: "I was in Junior High, dickhead!" ;-)

Actually I was in 3rd Grade and was terrified of just about everything, so I'd never even heard of climbing and had never been near a gym. Doesn't surprise me though... Was there a similar increase when Vertical Limit got released? I started climbing about six months after that, I think.
(removed)
29-Dec-2004
2:29:21 PM
Can't remember, I'm too old and my brain is addled. Senility is creeping in. All downhill from here. Can't climb my age any more ... dammit, I got fat AND turned 30 (prize to all you young bucks for guessing the reference)

adski
29-Dec-2004
2:40:06 PM
Anyway, about the guide. The cover photo aint of 'one of Victoria's top climbing spots, rather it's of Samberry at Barrenjoey (?) Only the nitpickers would care. ;-)

edit: oops, rodw already mentioned this. this makes me worse than a nitpicker.
G
29-Dec-2004
11:03:28 PM
On 28/12/2004 gfdonc wrote:
>The print version this morning has a couple of large pics of a well-known
>roof at Araps, allegedly taken by "Paul Kachoong". Will the mysterious
>Paul please come forward?
>- Steve
>

I don't know the photographer's name, but I know it is not Paul Kachoong! The climbers name is Paul Williams and obviously the climb is Kachoong (I was belaying). Paul did the climb in Nov and had some other friends of his (who I don't know) take photos from the photographers ledge.

Richard
30-Dec-2004
3:03:36 AM
he probably sent the photo to the age called something like paul_kachoong.jpg.

lucky he wasn't on ejaculation..... :-)

tepas
30-Dec-2004
11:13:22 AM
Is there really no protection between the piece/bolt two to three meters down the face from the overhang and the piece/bolt one to two meters out on the overhang? Seems like an insane runout between those two points to me...
James
30-Dec-2004
2:53:12 PM
there's heaps of gear at the start of the roof, but I guess most people find it just as easy to reach out further to clip (less rope drag & all)

nmonteith
30-Dec-2004
3:02:44 PM
yere - a lot of people back clean their pro at the base of the roof before heading outwards...

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints