Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Armchair climbing
Kanya
26-Nov-2004
12:12:05 PM
I don't mean traversing laps of your sofa.

Many years ago when I was consistently climbing I could sit in my armchair and visualise climbing routes
I had done or was trying. Associated with the visualisation were bodily changes - sweaty palms, increased
heartrate, feelings of apprehension. But I was still able to flow up the climbs.

Now that I am older I no longer have the associated bodily changes. I just flow up the climbs. This is very
disappointing as I cannot climb as often and probably do more armchair climbing than real climbing.

Even when I was climbing consistently, reality was always completely different from the armchair
experience however. Armchair climbing never took into account the exposure, the pump, the mental
torment, the "what the f*** am I doing here?".

So I am seeking help from you Chockstoners. How do I get the sweaty palms again? Indeed, how can I
make the armichair climbing experience a more vicarious reflection of real climbing. I know there are
people out there that can help me. The armchair climbing experts. You can pick them easily. They talk the
talk. They know every move on every climb. They confidently talk about half grade differences in climbs.
They own all the good gear. They frequent climbing forums. Sometimes they even own climbing shops.
But they hardly ever hit the cliffs. These people must be having orgasmic armchair climbing experiences
or they would hit the cliffs more often. Help. What are your secrets?

Phil Box
26-Nov-2004
1:17:05 PM
I climbed the sofa at nine months old and then traversed around the top of it. Couldn`t remember that stunt but my mum tells me that it is true.

I can tell you how to get that old feeling back. Head out and do a couple of really scary death aid climbs. There ya go problem solved, you`ll have sweaty palms thinking about that for the next year.

manacubus
26-Nov-2004
3:39:41 PM
> They know every move on every climb.

How is this possible if they haven't done the route?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
10-Dec-2004
4:54:49 PM
Kanya is trolling?

I agree with Phil
>do a couple of really scary death aid climbs (snip)
>you`ll have sweaty palms thinking about that for the next year.

Kanya said;
>But they hardly ever hit the cliffs. These people must be having orgasmic armchair >climbing experiences or they would hit the cliffs more often.

Some folk also have other committments in life other than climbing. As a consequence no matter how much they love it, their climbing time is limited.

>Indeed, how can I make the armichair climbing experience a more vicarious reflection of real climbing.

Try visualising your epics and near misses instead of the climbs you flowed up?
I re-live mine (and also try to visualise others epics) to the extent that I can develop viable contingency plans for the 'what if' events of next time.

Kris
17-Dec-2004
1:45:36 PM
I agree with M8, each to their own, we're all doing the best with what we've got re time, ability (the two are highly dependent). Having a passion which you can devote time and energy into (on and off the rock) is good for you
andrew coe
21-Dec-2004
5:34:56 AM
Yeh long gone are the days of full time climbing, I'd be lucky to get one weekend every few months

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints