Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Vale - Hamish McInnes
Ithomas
24-Nov-2020
5:55:57 AM
Two days ago, after a long period of illness renowned Scottish climber and inventor died at the age of 90.

McInnes was the climbers climber. He invented dirt-bagging before Yosemite was a destination. With Glaswegian ice climbing ace John Cunningham, he set out to climb Mt Everest with a crazy plan to scavenge food dumps left behind by an earlier Swiss expedition.

He invented a rescue stretcher system that is still in use today. He invented the first all steel ice axe and in so doing revolutionised ice climbing.

He climbed all over the world including early stints in New Zealand, the Caucuses, the Alps and the Himalaya. His name will be forever linked to greats such as Patey, Bonington, Whillans, Brown, Cunningham and pretty much everyone who was anyone.

His legacy was fun, adventure, independence and community spirit.

This morning I pulled aside the parkas, the cagoule, the overpants, the hats and there it was: my 50 year old MacInnes axe. What a beauty.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Nov-2020
12:41:07 PM
Thanks for the info Ian.
Sad news but not without a component of inevitability.

Vale Hamish McInnes ... a good innings, especially considering the exploits undertaken in the life he led, which I found personally inspiring.

I don’t know if it is a symptom of my avid reading of those and similar exploits by his contemporaries, but it seems to me that there are fewer of their ilk about these days and not just in the sense that the old guard is dropping off the perch!
Ithomas
27-Nov-2020
6:04:45 PM
Totally agree. There’s not many of us left!

There are 3 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints