Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Liquid Insanity 18-Apr-2018 At 10:35:45 PM One Day Hero
>One last thing I want to point out about why this spot is/was so meaningful
>to me for highlining is that......blah blah blah, me me me.......
>It’s a moot point now, but I just wanted to point out how significant
>Point Perp is for everyone.

Now you've gotten me a bit cranky, and that means it's time for one of those famous rants which everyone is so fond of.

I've been climbing at the Point for over twenty years, dozens of days a year (except for a couple of overseas and injury years). I've had many significant experiences at Point Perp in that time. There was one day in particular, back in 2007, when........oh wait, nobody wants to read about this, because it was significant to me, not you. You weren't there, you don't know the people involved, it's just some boring fuching shit that happened to somebody else.

In exactly the same way, your dawn-suicide-slackline-story is a big pile of meaningless nothing to everybody who wasn't there (which is just about everybody). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was a profound experience for you. But how the fuch does it have anything the fuch to do with bolting a fuching cliff?!?

Jesus christ! Years ago, some fuching numpty down in Victoria went abseiling on a famous cliff which you may have heard of. Sometime later, said numpty died in a car crash. What did his mates do? They bolted and glued a fuching half square metre plaque in his honour directly on top of "the best pitch in the world", cause he'd abseiled off it once! Are you fuching kidding me?!?!?!

Maybe some stuff needs to be clarified here. Legitimate reasons for bolting cliffs do exist, and they all relate to the utility and safety of the climb (or slackline, I suppose) in question. Things which are not legitimate reasons to bolt a cliff include (but are not limited to); your cat had kittens, it's your granny's birthday, your bar mitzvah is coming up, you've decided on a career change, etc fuching etc! If you're bringing a fuching drill to one of the premier climbing areas in the country, you better have clear and logical reasoning for where and why you bolt. I swear to god, the next person who comes up with some sob story in their life and non-sequiturs directly into bolting, expecting nobody to notice the clanging noise of the logical disconnect......I'm just going to properly lose it and get into road cycling or something equally stupid.

While I'm on a roll, your workmanship is fuching embarrassing! You reckon that sloppy glue is going to peel off the rock like a sticker off a windscreen? Think again. It's more than likely soaked into all the pore space and if you try to scrape it off, it'll take the top layer of sand with it and be even more ugly. Do a tiny test patch, but my bet is that the least visually offensive result will be to just leave the glue there. So nice job on that. Maybe next time you could waste five bucks of glue learning to bolt properly on a rock in your backyard, before vandalising a world class climbing area?

End rant.

There are 68 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints