Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Topic Date User
Help wanted!! Getting started in Mountaineering 10-Aug-2014 At 9:38:00 PM Sabu
Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you've got more trekking experience than climbing experience. If so, my advice would be to start developing your climbing skills as best you can. Learn how to climb outdoors efficiently, how to place gear, anchors etc. Mountaineering requires one to have good rope skills and not only that but often you need to use these skills in adverse conditions so the more familiar you are with them the better. Also the more familiar you are with these basic skills (belaying, leading, placing protection, setting anchors etc.) the easier it'll be to pick up the additional skills that mountaineering entails (glacier travel, self-rescue, assisted hauls etc).

Look into the Victorian Climbing Club or your university club and start climbing and learning as much as you can. The learn to lead courses run by the VCC are a great way to learn how to place gear and setup anchors. Alternatively go climbing with anyone who is willing to take you outdoors and show you around.

As for mountaineering specifically, I would highly recommend doing a TMC in NZ. There are many threads about these in this forum if you do a search. As an alternative the NZAC run their own TMC courses at a much cheaper rate than the guided companies and I can personally attest to them being good value and highly beneficial. As mentioned, the Australian section of NZAC would be a great place for you to meet people and get into learning the basics.

Lastly mountaineering is expensive (as I'm sure you've guessed by now) so keep an eye out for second hand gear being sold on this site for example that can help you on your way to getting kitted out.

There are 8 replies to this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints