Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Best Eats between Melbourne & Buffalo
lost tazmaniac
5-Feb-2014
10:50:01 PM
So who's got the beta on the best quick eats for the dinner stop from Melbourne to Buffalo...
patto
6-Feb-2014
7:26:57 AM
For the way home... Bright brewery!

(Well technically you need to go up the valley a could of ks to Bright, but it is worth it! :-D )

ajfclark
6-Feb-2014
8:15:54 AM
I quite like the burger with the lot from Jessie James takeaway in Myrtleford. Again, possibly for the way home more the way up.

phillipivan
6-Feb-2014
8:24:13 AM
If it's during the day, I use and endorse the Bright Berry Farm. Located between Myrtleford and Porepunkah. Highly delicious.
lost tazmaniac
6-Feb-2014
8:55:54 AM
so what places are open till 9.30ish..

shiltz
6-Feb-2014
9:37:53 AM
Pends when you want to eat. Euroa is just off the highway about 1.5 hours out of Melbsourne. Decent fish & chip shop there, also a good pizza place & the 7 creeks pub..
lost tazmaniac
6-Feb-2014
2:45:51 PM
It's just good to know options.. I've just usually pack some food in the car and eat it somewhere along the way.. but with a group .. it nice to have the meal together..
Like going to Araps.. it used to be Beaufort (frenchmans cafe) was the place.. then he shut.. so we were back to Noodles at Ararat.. and I got sick of those quickly..the new place at Beaufort - Mechanis.. takes forever.. SO Buffalo commute must have some jems?
gaetanr
6-Feb-2014
3:16:10 PM
There is Harley's Pizza Benalla that is open late on Friday. And if you don't like pizza there is a chinese and india restaurant next to it although I don't think they are open late.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
6-Feb-2014
3:26:54 PM
On 6/02/2014 shiltz wrote:
>Pends when you want to eat. Euroa is just off the highway about 1.5 hours
>out of Melbsourne. Decent fish & chip shop there, also a good pizza place
>& the 7 creeks pub..

I don't remember the name of the Pub located at west end of town (Euroa Hotel? Railway Hotel??), but last time I was there it's counter-meal was only 'fair', in my opinion.

Benalla is also not far off the highway, but places there seem to close early, particularly mid week.

Wangaratta is likewise not far off the highway and has a good choice of eateries with varied cuisine choice/s for meals.
I notice that Hollywoods Pizza-restaurant there (corner of Murphy and Ford Sts) is popular with motorcyclists...

The Avenel Roadhouse sells the best of that style of food amongst similar establishments on the Hume Hwy, in my opinion.

Red Ramia Resaurant in Myrtleford has good food, but can be hard to get into at times due to popular demand.

There is also a take away type restaurant next to the Caltex garage on south side of Gt Alpine Rd in Myrtleford(on Buffalo side of town), that sells good tucker when it is open, but their hours seem unpredictable... which has always amazed me due their food is good and also good value for the money. It has been a little while since I was last there, so they may not still be open?

Going the other way, the Red C0ckatiel (name & sp?) restaurant (opposite Subway), in Bright, has good meals.

shiltz
6-Feb-2014
3:45:44 PM
Not sure what the other pub in Euroa is called. The only one I've eaten at is the Seven Creeks Hotel which is on the main road just after you cross the Seven Creeks bridge. No good if you just want a quick stop.
If you want to make it quick I'd suggest you get the number and ring in your order 15 minutes before you get there. That's what we do if we're getting fish and chips in Beaufort these days. The fish and chip place I've been to in Euroa is in Binney Street, its called The Cherry Tree I think. The pizza place is just past the Seven Creeks Hotel, its called the Pickled Olive.
hero
6-Feb-2014
3:58:27 PM
Violet Town is also just off the highway and it's got a good caf now. Do a good vege burger.
Wendy
6-Feb-2014
4:10:43 PM
King River Cafe. Very plush food and wine. Not outrageously costly, but not bargain basement either. Only bummer being they are rather late in your journey when you really want to eat earlier. Open late for friday night trips up.

Indian in Benalla. They were on the right just before you cross the river (heading north) and they were totally acceptable indian and one curry, rice and naan fed 2 of us for $18 or so. No idea of opening hours, we were there pretty early in the evening.

Bright berry farm has yummy berry smoothies, berries and icecream and stuff, but they don't do actual meals and are only open in the day.

phillipivan
6-Feb-2014
5:20:26 PM
On 6/02/2014 Wendy wrote:
>
>Bright berry farm has yummy berry smoothies, berries and icecream and
>stuff, but they don't do actual meals...

That has never once stopped me getting my fill of delicious calories. Besides, on a recent trip Miguel75 tipped me off that a good thick shake is a fine meal replacement; as long as it has extra malt.
gfdonc
7-Feb-2014
9:12:17 AM
+1 for King River Cafe. Have eaten there many a time, if you get away from Melbourne promptly you can hang out until you get there oh, 8:30 or so..
Otherwise it's problematic IMHO. The Mobil roadhouse on the highway somewhere near Seymour (I think) actually does pretty good burgers. The Seven Creeks pub in Euroa was good one time I stopped but pretty average last time. The cafe in the middle of Euroa was also nothing special and sometimes has a coachload of travellers so if you're timings off you could be waiting a while.

Robbie
8-Feb-2014
11:31:07 AM
CRITERIA: the best quick eats for the dinner stop from Melbourne to Buffalo...

* Dinner 18:00's ish. Where are you going to be?
* Location. Somewhere on Sesame Street (Hume Highway) Out of Mel I hope.
* Intel. Google sustenance en route. Hume Highway.
* Rules. Eating where the truckies eat is questionable. However the package is, feed the vehicle, feed your yourself, take care of whatever and off. (Pit stop). Hmmmm.
* Food poisoning is like running the guantlet in these places
Good Luck

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints