Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Rock publication for sale
Rockpub
14-Aug-2013
3:26:35 PM

We have decided to cease publishing Rock and are looking for someone who cares about Australia's climbing heritage and can restore Rock to its former glory.

You know we are not climbers but we respected the 35 years plus heritage and continued to invest in it over the last several years. We have done our best.
There have been elements within Chockstone that enjoyed tearing shreds off us but I understand many of these people just wanted the magazine to be world class, we have done the best we could but now there is an opportunity for someone else.

We dont want much for it, we just want the magazine to continue to serve the climbing community and hopefully continue to inspire a whole new generation of climbers.
The sale will include all back issue files and content, a subscriber base, forward bookings, rock.com.au domain and website etc. there is too much heritage here to just let it go. We can support you to get you up and going. Genuine people can contact via email to discuss. Thanks john.murphy@primecreative.com.au

Eduardo Slabofvic
14-Aug-2013
7:49:57 PM
On 14/08/2013 Rockpub wrote:
>
>
>There have been elements within Chockstone that enjoyed tearing shreds
>off us

don't take it too hard John. Rock was crap for a long time before you guys took it over
Rockpub
14-Aug-2013
9:13:25 PM
Thanks Edward,
I have been in this game too long to take it personally. I feel sorry for our editor who was taking the bullets though, he had a steep learning curve. Thank you for those on the forum who rolled their sleeves up and helped us in the past 12 months or so.

Anyway, I hope that someone with some talent can retain the heritage and bring it back to where it belongs.
dalai
14-Aug-2013
9:14:53 PM
For everyone who said they could do a better job, now is their chance!

Hope the publication can continue...

shortman
14-Aug-2013
9:17:51 PM
It will.
Marky
15-Aug-2013
9:32:12 AM
What's going to happen to the subscribers if it the mag shuts down or publication stops??

IdratherbeclimbingM9
15-Aug-2013
9:46:44 AM
On 14/08/2013 Rockpub wrote:
>
>We have decided to cease publishing Rock and are looking for someone who
>cares about Australia's climbing heritage and can restore Rock to its former
>glory.

>
>You know we are not climbers but we respected the 35 years plus heritage
>and continued to invest in it over the last several years. We have done
>our best.
>There have been elements within Chockstone that enjoyed tearing shreds
>off us but I understand many of these people just wanted the magazine to
>be world class, we have done the best we could but now there is an opportunity
>for someone else.
>
>We dont want much for it, we just want the magazine to continue to serve
>the climbing community and hopefully continue to inspire a whole new generation
>of climbers.
>The sale will include all back issue files and content, a subscriber base,
>forward bookings, rock.com.au domain and website etc. there is too much
>heritage here to just let it go. We can support you to get you up and going.
>Genuine people can contact via email to discuss. Thanks john.murphy@primecreative.com.au

As a very long term subscriber I am saddened to hear this news, though am heartened by the fact that you are aiming at trying to find an empathic buyer who will keep it going and enhance it if possible.

I understand that print media is facing tough decisions in a digital age, and suspect that this issue will have lasting impacts on whatever form Rock takes.

I really hope that someone like Onsight, who (I gather) values highly the tactile medium as well as moving with the times, can come to the rescue... ~> that would be an awsome combination of publishing talent/product!

If the above style of management were to come to pass, I'd be prepared to invest in it as a community owned/funded affair.

wallwombat
15-Aug-2013
12:32:22 PM
On 15/08/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:

>I really hope that someone like Onsight, who (I gather) values highly
>the tactile medium as well as moving with the times, can come to the rescue...
>~> that would be an awsome combination of publishing talent/product!

Hmmm....jet set around the world taking pics of the best climbers at the best crags or takeover ROCK.

That's a hard one.

grantoss
15-Aug-2013
12:43:43 PM
On 14/08/2013 dalai wrote:
>For everyone who said they could do a better job, now is their chance!
>
>
>Hope the publication can continue...

sounds like a job for ODH
Rockpub
15-Aug-2013
12:55:46 PM
It is our intention to sell it as a going concern and your subscription will be ok.
If we cant find someone who wants to take it on we will offer you a subscription with Wild magazine as a replacement or give you the value of the remaining subs back in cash, no problem.
Rockpub
15-Aug-2013
1:07:08 PM
We feel obligated to long term subscribers like yourself to ensure it continues.
The fact is it needs a climber to write it and we cannot resource a full time climber to do so.The print, digital and web products have a fairly low cost base and it would make a lot of sense for people who are already involved in other aspects of climbing media.
Rockpub
10-Sep-2013
3:39:34 PM
Prime Creative Media to discontinue publication of Rock magazine

We have made the difficult decision to close Rock magazine, an iconic Australian sporting title that has been published for in excess of 35 years.
After discussions with industry and enthusiasts we have been unable to find a buyer for the magazine who is able to take on the task of overseeing the iconic masthead.

Produced in print and digital formats quarterly, the title will now be withdrawn from the market with the Winter edition being the last produced.

Rock magazine has played an important role promoting climbing in Australia and abroad and we would like to take this opportunity to thank all those that have contributed and supported the magazine.
marky
10-Sep-2013
4:06:08 PM
For those with subscriptions can you explain what process will occur in order to get a full refund and how long??

Rockpub
10-Sep-2013
4:47:44 PM
All subscribers have been sent a letter from our subscription department.
Subscribers will be able to swap the subscription for one of our other titles such as Wild or claim a refund of money paid on unused subscriptions.

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints