Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Abseiling at Wilsons Prom

robbie
16-Feb-2013
12:25:18 PM
I have just spent 3 great days a the Prom. The Notice Board at the shop has flyer advertising abseiling activities at the Lookout area. I'm assuming this is in the the park environs! And at $50's a session I'm also assuming it is a commercial operation. I don't have a problem with this going on, just wondering what you good folk out there might be thinking?

E. Wells
16-Feb-2013
6:52:42 PM
Im thinking what kind of curry to make with Ling fillet.
Justcameron
17-Feb-2013
12:08:08 AM
At $50 a pop I'm wondering if the operator actually has a qualification, public liability insurance and a permit to operate in the park. Of course I don't really know if such things exist in Victoria, as I'm from SA.

ajfclark
17-Feb-2013
8:49:56 AM
I thought there was a ban on cliff access at the prom? Is it only certain areas or only for climbers?

robbie
17-Feb-2013
10:06:29 AM
That's what I thought! As I said, "The Lookout," where the activity is run. Maybe if climbers paid for a permit to climb, we may get ACCESS.
BA
17-Feb-2013
11:45:22 AM
On 17/02/2013 robbie wrote:
>That's what I thought! As I said, "The Lookout," where the activity is
>run. Maybe if climbers paid for a permit to climb, we may get ACCESS.

Access is allowed to some climbing areas but an "off tracking walking permit" is required as is a "climbing permit" and they have to be organised before you visit the park. It's been more than 5 years since I've looked into it, maybe it's a job for ACCESS T.

I also seem to remember an area that PV said that climbing was allowed but is not in the East Vic guide (Elephant Rock?). It could be an area where the "guiding community" have set up some climbs and couldn't be bothered letting the rest of the climbing community know about them for fear of attracting 'unwarranted' criticism. See The Horn bolting thread.

JamesMc
17-Feb-2013
9:04:04 PM
As a general rule, you are allowed to climb at certain crags at the Prom, but you are supposed to get a permit. My guess is that so few climbers ask for a permit that they won't know how to respond.

Also, if you are going to a cliff that does not have track access, you are supposed to get an off track walking permit. Last time l asked, which was about 4 months ago, all requests for off track walking permits were being refused, because they were paranoid about unstable erosion gullies from the heavy rain two years ago.

I suggest you phone several weeks advance if you want to climb at the Prom, or keep a low profile.

peachy
18-Feb-2013
12:09:12 PM
Simple process, couple of forms to complete and Parks are very helpful. Last time I used Mount Oberon with a group of young people for an abseil... classic on a nice day! Nice shiney bolts from memory. I have not climbed in the prom for years though and can't even remember the areas I have been to...

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints