Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Fontainbleu by pubic transport?

tepas
25-Jun-2004
9:50:59 PM
I'm heading to Europe soon ona non-climbing related journey, but I've managed to score a day to head down to Fontainbleu and check the place out a bit. Now I know the climbing areas are pretty huge and I know I'm not going to have a car when I'm there. So... anyone been there? Can anyone comment on where one can get to without driving and what's worth checking out? I've only got a day so I'd like to make it count! Thanks!
mikl law
25-Jun-2004
11:09:07 PM
Train Paris to Font station, then bicycle 7km or taxi to Bas Cuvier car park on N7 / N37 north (back towards Paris on the RHS heading north). The boulders are visible from the carpark (~ 40 off the road). If the taxi driver doesn't know, it's 1 km south of the Barbizon turnoff.

Some websites are :-
http://bleau.direttissima.com/
http://www.zebloc.com/bleau/bleaue.html
http://www.cosiroc.org/

Have a good day, take a towel from a pub to keep your feet clean
Mikl

tepas
26-Jun-2004
12:29:23 PM
Thanks for the detailed answer, Mikl! Roughly how much stuff is walking distance from there? Enough to keep one amused for a day? I'm looking for fairly easy stuff as I'm not exactly a hard-core boulderer and I won't have a mat or anything useful :) I'll pick up the guide when I'm over there, but even then, my french isn't up to much...
dalai
26-Jun-2004
10:28:10 PM
Tepa's - enough to definitely last a lifetime. Bas Cuvier is one of the main area's at Font with literally hundreds of problems of all grades. If that isn't enough Cuvier Rempart is a mere 400m walk along the ridge from the Bas Cuvier carpark.

Landings are usually flat though the ground can be hard packed from the number of people who have bouldered there. Like Mike has said, use a towel to stand on or borrow a door mat for the day. Bouldering mat isn't essential.

Brilliant guide for the forest is by Stephen Gough titled Bleau - fontainebleau bouldering. Published by Greenshires print Limited. Best of all it's in English.

Be wary of having your chalk bag out in the open and use it sparingly. Many of the older locals still believe Resin should only be used and may vocalize their views.

For something completely different, think about trying a circuit. Follow the numbers and colour of choice and try and complete all the problems. Usually a great collection of problems around the same grade.

Useful French phrases:

Je suis Australien - so the French don't think you are another obnoxious American.
Je ne parle pas bien francais - I don't speak much French usually gets the better response than just speaking straight away in English. In four months in France only one person didn't either speak in slow simple French or even English with this response.

All I can say is enjoy!! Best bouldering on the planet.

Feel free to ask anymore questions either here or by email

WM
26-Jun-2004
10:39:54 PM
The English guide wasn't available in Fontainebleau in 2003 - and the French guides seemed expensive (at least if budgeting).
dalai
26-Jun-2004
11:06:05 PM
Public transport to the actual car park no, but it will get you close. Train to Fontainebleau ~ one hour South of Paris. Then either Hitch, hire a bicycle or pay for a taxi to get out there.

If only for the day, you can also use the handy drtopo free mini topo guide to Bas Cuvier http://www.drtopo.com/bleau.pdf (the free campsite just up the road though is now closed for anyone thinking of a longer visit). Most now stay at the Milley La Foret pay campsite ~10km south.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints