Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Space on board Antarctic Peninsula trip FEB2-Mar2

vwills
23-Jan-2013
1:55:07 PM
Well hopefully I will get my money back from travel insurance, but in case anyone was super keen on this sudden vacancy, I can put you in contact with Stephen Venables and Skip Novak (Pelagic expeditions). Ski mountaineering trip to Antarctic Peninsula. Depts Ushuaia on Feb 2nd (team meeting on Feb 1st). Think there were 8 on the boat, now theres 7 as I have had to pull out.
widewetandslippery
23-Jan-2013
2:23:55 PM
Ness buy a packraftt and come out on some controlled drowning missions.

Eduardo Slabofvic
23-Jan-2013
2:43:24 PM
On 23/01/2013 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Ness buy a packraftt and come out on some controlled drowning missions.

Can I ski behind your packraftt?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23-Jan-2013
3:13:32 PM
On 23/01/2013 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>>On 23/01/2013 widewetandslippery wrote:
>>Ness buy a packraftt and come out on some controlled drowning missions.
>Can I ski behind your packraftt?

If his packraftt (sic), is that fast, you ought to make a short film for the Nati festival, about him doing three rivers in a day, linked by motorcycle travel or some such.
;-)

vwills
23-Jan-2013
3:38:48 PM
Hopefully my incapacity is only a few weeks and I wont have to resort to such desperate measures WWS! Paddling my seakayak on the lake is probably one of the first things I can get back into. Walking isnt going so good right now.
climberman
23-Jan-2013
4:20:36 PM
wws come on one of the skills trips we did - a few of the folks you've paddled with came on a good one late last year.

there is a similar release size for the snowy in April.

fark i wanna get another packraft.

have you pimped yours ? am going to thigh strap mine.
widewetandslippery
23-Jan-2013
4:34:34 PM
Ness, to bad, its sad when people have a trip and it doesnt happen.

@climberman, the gonski trip sounds awesome. have actually been thinking of hitting jeremy up for pro advice re pimping the boat.

Doing a colo food dump/recce this weekend and newnes to colo the week after next.

Did the snowy last year with Dale and would be keen again with better water or not.
climberman
23-Jan-2013
5:12:31 PM
@wws - gonski was a heap of fun. Newnes - Colo would be perfect... let us know how it goes. Might try to get together with jeremy for some pimpage as well.
lisaw
23-Jan-2013
5:24:03 PM
Hi Vanessa, terrible to be so crook. Have you considered a post on nzac fb and uk climbing (given its Venables) This would be a trip of a lifetime and anyone with the time available should consider

vwills
23-Jan-2013
5:40:45 PM
Yeah, good idea Lisa. Thread hijack is an ever present danger lurking here....

superstu
23-Jan-2013
6:00:50 PM
I declare thread hijack!

>Doing a colo food dump/recce this weekend and newnes to colo the week
>after next.

Have you thought about the Capertee to Colo? The Capertee has decent water from Glen Davis, so that was my first thought for a week long through trip. I really want to do either trip but I have a project I have to finish first this summer.

You could paddle to windsor and get the train home.

>Did the snowy last year with Dale and would be keen again with better
>water or not.

If you can kill a few willows along the way, NPWS will kindly drop you off at the start. Email me if you want further details.

Me and En got packrafts for Chrissie. Immediately regretting not getting a sprayskirt as the boat filled up with water while playing in the surf on the Murrumbidgee. Have paddled the Colo and thinking where else can I play despite the lack of water around. Ideas?

If I get bored next week I was going to paddle from Wondabyne to Brooklyn. (Think: choo choo train both ways, cliffs to look at along the way)

climberman
23-Jan-2013
6:08:37 PM
Nice. Thread hijack in full effect.
I've been mulling breakfast creek to yellow pup, on the coxs.

Miguel75
23-Jan-2013
6:34:40 PM
Woohoo, thread hijack... Ummmm

Did anyone else feel cheated when Beyonce lip-synced the US national anthem at Obama's inauguration? ;)

Back on topic; that trip looks like an amazing experience. Sorry you can't take it this year Vanessa.

phillipivan
23-Jan-2013
8:25:50 PM
On 23/01/2013 Miguel75 wrote:
>Did anyone else feel cheated when Beyonce lip-synced the US national anthem
>at Obama's inauguration? ;)

No. It's just you on this one I'm afraid, adjust you expectations.
widewetandslippery
24-Jan-2013
7:24:09 AM
On 23/01/2013 Miguel75 wrote:
>Woohoo, thread hijack... Ummmm
>
>Did anyone else feel cheated when Beyonce lip-synced the US national anthem
>at Obama's inauguration? ;)
>
>Back on topic; that trip looks like an amazing experience. Sorry you can't
>take it this year Vanessa.

i was soley focused on her um chest.
Wollemi
24-Jan-2013
10:45:26 AM
>
>Doing a colo food dump/recce this weekend and newnes to colo the week
>after next.
>

I don't think that the 'bit of rain in the next couple of days' will allow you to shoot King Rapid at all.
As you would have seen from BoM; from Mudgee to Richmond, it is 'a few showers' daily until Wednesday.
Grose Vale guage shows interesting heights at the moment - the other guy on the Packraft forum might be right.

The Colo is typically a 200m wonderful drift, in a packraft, then 50+m of portaging. Repeat and repeat.
I would not expect more than say, 10km per day, pack-rafting the Colo River. Even Ms. L. Shepherd appeared to find this fatiguing, between Canoe Creek and Bob Turners Tk, yet the beauty of the gorge is worth it.

In case you didn't know, don't sit on rucksack in packraft and bounce over that half-metre length of water-over-rock to get to next pool. I am now an expert at repairing Packraft bases.

The packraft will get absolutely no use at all on the Wolgan.

Don't walk upstream too far on the Capertee with a full pack, a significant rainstorm event c.Dec 2010(?) knocked down much vegetation. Even in shallow water without vegetation aiming towards you, this is tiring; each lift of one foot forward sees the other sink in sand. It is OK to walk downstream on the Capertee.

WWS - have emailed you some photos of continuous ankle-deep water on the Wolgan, taken on a 6-day weeding trip for NPWS/Friends of the Colo. My suspicions were confirmed through three other week-long walks W to E across Wollemi in 2011.

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints