Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Beginner needs advice
dsking
18-Jan-2013
12:01:17 PM
Hey everybody,

i am a backpacker and i am travelling through australia. AND i would love to go climbing in the araps. the problem is i just know how to sportclimb :( i have no expierience with tradclimbing (if you call it like this) jet. my question is should i take a course to learn it or do you thing that somebody there can show it to me or i can find people there which take me with them?
hope to hear from someody soon

cheers bruno
marky
18-Jan-2013
12:23:16 PM
Either get a local guide or hook up with someone there and follow them up grades within your abilities to see how gear is placed.
martym
18-Jan-2013
12:25:22 PM
Run your post through a grammar checker & edit "the araps" if you hope to get any serious responses on this forum!

Araps is a good social place & you'll probably link up with a few people willing to take you out, not necessarily teach you - that's for the commercial climbers - who will no doubt be in contact. As long as you're happy to second - there will be a few people to show you the ropes; though it's still very hot at the moment and it's not quite "on-season"
There's another thread at the moment about the risks involved in placing your own protection - so make sure you take it seriously.
Good luck Bruno.

ambyeok
18-Jan-2013
1:12:45 PM
On 18/01/2013 martym wrote:
>Run your post through a grammar checker...

Don't worry Bruno, Marty is just pissed off that he failed foreign language in high school. Places like Papua New Guinea and Jamaica get on just fine without correct grammar. To tell you the truth English is a stupid language anyway so the grammar doesnt really matter.

Chockstone of searching "beginner" do and much information receiving possible.

Miguel75
18-Jan-2013
1:29:47 PM
Hey Bruno,

If you're heading out that way (Araps) just head to the Pines and hook up with someone... There are usually people to play with or you can find a guide in Natimuk.

Have fun, and don't worry, most chockstoners have fully sick grammar skillzzzz;)
One Day Hero
18-Jan-2013
1:44:08 PM
I would caution people who are talking down to this dude that often Europeans called Bruno have a habit of climbing well into the 30s..........and if you happen to be a mid-teens araps bumbly, you'll feel like a total dick when he's onsighting 23s on gear a week after placing his first wire.
kieranl
18-Jan-2013
1:47:10 PM
On 18/01/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>I would caution people who are talking down to this dude that often Europeans
>called Bruno have a habit of climbing well into the 30s..........and if
>you happen to be a mid-teens araps bumbly, you'll feel like a total dick
>when he's onsighting 23s on gear a week after placing his first wire.

And he'll be really useful to have along if you fail on something : he'll be able to solo up, retrieve your gear and solo down.
One Day Hero
18-Jan-2013
1:57:28 PM
Exactly Kieran.

Bruno, just go to the arapiles and meet people to climb with. It is a very friendly scene, I've never missed a day of climbing there for lack of finding a partner.
dsking
18-Jan-2013
5:41:15 PM
Thanks a lot. i will do that and hopefully have a nice time :D
simey
18-Jan-2013
10:48:26 PM
On 18/01/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>I would caution people who are talking down to this dude that often Europeans
>called Bruno have a habit of climbing well into the 30s..........and if
>you happen to be a mid-teens araps bumbly, you'll feel like a total dick
>when he's onsighting 23s on gear a week after placing his first wire.

I remember being dismissive about some Euro guy staying at a backpackers in Nati years ago who was keen to go climbing. I told him he should pay for a guide. In the end he hooked up with some mid-teen bumblies and onsighted Fault Line (23) for his first climb and then onsighted Undertaker (25) for his second climb! Not bad for a guy who had never done trad previously and at the top of Undertaker had to ask how to rig a belay on natural gear (this was before the bolt anchors existed).

Cool Hand Lock
20-Jan-2013
9:03:07 PM
Or the German guy who asked me to place the gear on Morphyd, who then looked pritty cruisy on punks.

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints