Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Climbing terms
PDRM
20-Mar-2012
11:08:21 AM
There is some self evident slang in climbing: 'crater', 'top out', 'whipper', etc. are obviously.

What about the origins of 'jugging', 'hand dogging', 'carrots', 'fifi hook', 'bongs', RURPs (I know what it stands for but it's a strange term), etc. that are a bit odder or more obscure?

On a related note and not being a route establisher, how do climbing areas get naming themes, just grows organically?

P
bones
20-Mar-2012
11:15:17 AM
Surely carrots is just because they look like carrots?
BA
20-Mar-2012
11:39:32 AM
On 20/03/2012 bones wrote:
>Surely carrots is just because they look like carrots?

Or because so much of them sticks out above the "ground"?

Eduardo Slabofvic
20-Mar-2012
11:48:43 AM
On 20/03/2012 PDRM wrote:
> 'hand dogging',

Do you mean "Hang Dogging" - As in "Low down, conniving, should be hung like a dog”. A reference to the practice.
kieranl
20-Mar-2012
12:05:08 PM
There's something new around that might help though not many people have heard of it yet. It's called Google (funny name I know). The beauty of it is that you put in a phrase (say "climbing term bong") and Google will search for references to it and there's a fairly good chance that you'll find something useful like :
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=jpcXCRMyDGwC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=climbing+term+bong&source=bl&ots=eWsDIphbAg&sig=JH09Dxe4Bg-4I83P3J9bRxnEl-k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sdVnT_XbHYqPmQWvoIz7CA&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=climbing%20term%20bong&f=false
PDRM
20-Mar-2012
12:50:26 PM
On 20/03/2012 kieranl wrote:
>There's something new around that might help though not many people have
>heard of it yet. It's called Google (funny name I know). The beauty of
>it is that you put in a phrase (say "climbing term bong") and Google will
>search for references to it and there's a fairly good chance that you'll
>find something useful like :
>http://books.google.com.au/books?id=jpcXCRMyDGwC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=climbing+term+bong&s
>urce=bl&ots=eWsDIphbAg&sig=JH09Dxe4Bg-4I83P3J9bRxnEl-k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sdVnT_XbHYqPmQWvoIz7C
>&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=climbing%20term%20bong&f=false

Hmm, many of these so called explanations seem very post hoc. That one in particular.
kieranl
20-Mar-2012
12:59:35 PM
On 20/03/2012 PDRM wrote:
>
>Hmm, many of these so called explanations seem very post hoc. That one
>in particular.
>
Not sure what you mean by that. Also note that the american pronounciation that I have heard sounds like "boing-boing", which is closer to the actual sound of an angled steel peg than our pronounciation "bong".
ithomas
20-Mar-2012
12:59:45 PM
You have to understand the historical setting in order to understand the origins of some of the terms. RURP - think alternative/acid/west -coast/altered states. A local derivative was the name for the now defunct (I think) Brisbane Rockclimbing Club magazine - RURP - The Realised Ultimate Reality Publication of the BRC.

MisterGribble
20-Mar-2012
1:10:03 PM
On 20/03/2012 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>On 20/03/2012 PDRM wrote:
>> 'hand dogging',
>
>Do you mean "Hang Dogging" - As in "Low down, conniving, should be hung
>like a dog”. A reference to the practice.

I once hear a climber refer to climbing a route in 'soft euro hangdog style' but never really understood what it meant.

So much for 'the leader never falls!'

These Gen Y's...........
pecheur
20-Mar-2012
1:13:24 PM
On 20/03/2012 kieranl wrote:
>There's something new around that might help though not many people have
>heard of it yet. It's called Google (funny name I know). The beauty of
>it is that you put in a phrase (say "climbing term bong") and Google will
>search for references to it and there's a fairly good chance that you'll
>find something useful like :
>http://books.google.com.au/books?id=jpcXCRMyDGwC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=climbing+term+bong&s
>urce=bl&ots=eWsDIphbAg&sig=JH09Dxe4Bg-4I83P3J9bRxnEl-k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sdVnT_XbHYqPmQWvoIz7C
>&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=climbing%20term%20bong&f=false

Argh Kieran you suck, it's only $13.21 at Book Depository, I'm going to have to buy it now. Then again I still have to buy 9 out of 10 Climbers ...

Eduardo Slabofvic
20-Mar-2012
1:33:45 PM
On 20/03/2012 MisterGribble wrote:
>
>These Gen Y's...........

...... wouldn't work in an iron lung. The lot of 'em.

ajfclark
20-Mar-2012
6:12:28 PM
There's a load of definitions of stuff things here: http://www.climbingterms.com/

Enough to make a book apparently.
widewetandslippery
20-Mar-2012
6:26:09 PM
terms are like periods.

ajfclark
20-Mar-2012
8:24:07 PM
You're really happy when they start because it means you're not going to be a dad and then you're over them and wish they'd end?

shortman
20-Mar-2012
10:29:16 PM
On 20/03/2012 ajfclark wrote:
>You're really happy when they start because it means you're not going to
>be a dad and then you're over them and wish they'd end?

Your terrible.

After 10yrs of shitty relationships I always forgot and was always genuinely surprised every month. Friggen men.

ajfclark
20-Mar-2012
10:37:33 PM
They should make an app for that.

Back in the day I remember seeing an ad for a phone aimed at women (pink with diamantes) that had what they called the "Blue Calendar" to remind women when their period was next starting and they might start being sad/angry/psycho/etc for no reason.

Seemed pretty useless for women but how many lives could it have saved?

shortman
20-Mar-2012
11:01:28 PM
Obviously Hannah is not a devoted reader of Chockstone. Smart girl.

Bring on the app.

;)

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints