Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Black Diamond "PosiWire" Quick-Draw Sets. (6 Pack) Top: Straight gate Positron. (Anodised Ink Blue) Bottom: HotWire Wire gate. (Anodised Ink Blue) Dogbone: 12cm long and 14mm wide. N/B SIX quick-draws AWESOME value IMO. $19.16 per draw...  $115.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Poll Option Votes Graph
Yes 18
90% 
No 1
5% 
Depends who it is . . . 1
5% 

Author
Would you have waited?

Macciza
Online Now
12/03/2012
4:13:58 PM
So you are at at a consumer 100m+ Blue Mountains crag and someone you know is also there bolting off fixed lines, seemingly by themselves.
You see them near the end of the day and they mention they are heading up.
You leave leave not much later and arrive back up at the carpark to find there car still there.
Considering it is sunset and almost dark, do you wait around for there return to make sure that everything is OK?

Some younger climbers thought it was 'above and beyond' the call of climbers, what do you think?
To me it is a case of 'Thats just what you do' even though I don't 'expect'it myself . . .

So 'Would you'? or more to the point 'Have you waited for fellow climbers?' in similar situations . . .

Cheers
MM

nmonteith
12/03/2012
4:21:26 PM
Thanks for waiting Macca!

The funny thing is that when I got to the carpark after saying goodbye to you I realized that Lee & JJ were missing - so I went looking for them, found them on the East Face (still 2 pitches below the top) - waited an hour for them to finish (after dark) then guided them back up the track to the carpark - to find you waiting for me! So we had it all covered. It's certainly a good idea to keep an eye out for others at the crag - especially when they are off doing something by themselves on fixed ropes. I carry my mobile with me everywhere - so give me a ring next time if you are worried - 0421994290.

benjenga
12/03/2012
4:22:35 PM
It's a tuff call, it really depends on who they are, if they are used to finishing in the dark and how experienced they are. If I was bolting by myself I wouldn't expect anyone to wait around unless I had ask them, or if I had the car keys :)

But I would probably msg them later at night to find out how the new mega line turned out..
anthonycuskelly
12/03/2012
4:26:27 PM
Well... I'd try calling them first, and probably wander back in if they took ages, but I'd wait.

rodw
12/03/2012
4:27:13 PM
I would have just checked Neils facebook page for an update :)

nmonteith
12/03/2012
4:27:47 PM
Weirdly I got asked by tourists twice on the weekend if I was ok to be out doing stuff by myself (the second time was at midnight at the carpark). Independently they both mentioned the Aaron Rolston 127 hours story. They were both genuinely concerned and offered to write down my name and contact details in case I went missing.
mikllaw
12/03/2012
5:02:09 PM
where are Macca and the concerned tourists at 4.30am at Pierce's Pass. Oh wait, Macca will be in his secret bivi at the base of Dogface, waiting for epics there
widewetandslippery
12/03/2012
5:15:32 PM
I had a cool rescue a month or so ago where a katoomba hospital nurse picked me up in the rain on the darling causeway. As I limped tioeards her she waited

nmonteith
12/03/2012
5:27:39 PM
I rescued a 92 year old wheelchair bound grandma from the bottom of the steep track to the Sublime lookout. She had whizzed down the hill no problems - but had nothing when it came to actually getting back up the hill again. Her geriatric minder couldn't budge her either. So I ended up pushing her up the hill, which I have to say was rather tiring. That was my good deed on sunday arvo.

vwills
12/03/2012
6:14:04 PM
Heres another would you have waited conundrum:

A friend is off bolting but knows that you must leave by 6pm. He doesnt have a drivers licence so has been relying on you to transport him around climbing for 3 months. He has prior history of making you wait well past planned departure times on his frequent bolting epics and seems only to be halfway up the cliff with no intention of racing back to the car.....

nmonteith
12/03/2012
6:27:23 PM
Easy - I just left him at the cliff and he worked out how to use the public transport system.

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints