Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Omega Pacific: "Jake" HMS 3S TriLock 12mm - 23 8 10 kN (Triple action!) N/B Only 2 left!  $20.00
43% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Poll Option Votes Graph
Yes 31
69% 
No 14
31% 

Author
Do you need falling practice?
bones
16/01/2012
5:29:51 PM
Inspired by a comment on another thread - do you ever do any falling practice? Does it help your leading?

E. Wells
16/01/2012
6:51:04 PM
I seem to get it without neccesarily wanting.

Miguel75
16/01/2012
8:14:02 PM
I'm still keen to get out and fall on gear to see how it, and I, react during a fall...

shortman
16/01/2012
9:13:35 PM
Hate falling with a passion. Fear of it makes me zone in and climb with power and precision. I climb easy shit 'cause I'm still newish, but get me above 20 and my fear of falling is what drives me. Two lead falls in six months of leading and a handful seconding is enough for me. But in some warped way I still wanna practise it.
widewetandslippery
16/01/2012
9:14:45 PM
I fall quite naturally

Zebedee
16/01/2012
11:10:58 PM
Ridiculous idea, just keep climbing harder stuff until fall off. Then keep trying harder stuff. You don't need to practice just do it for real!

Zebedee
16/01/2012
11:12:40 PM
Ridiculous idea, just keep climbing harder stuff until you fall off. Then keep trying harder stuff. You don't need to practice just do it for real!

Eduardo Slabofvic
16/01/2012
11:13:43 PM
Falling or jumping? Is there a difference? I think so.
Olbert
16/01/2012
11:22:25 PM
Depends or not if your fear if falling is holding you back. If it is then yes, otherwise no.

Sabu
17/01/2012
9:31:48 AM
I think falling does help your leading. If you can get used to the idea so it doesn't freak you out when you're pushing your limit then that it a good thing. This is even more so on trad, I think, as having fallen on your gear before massively improves ones confidence in it. Of course you don't want to make a habit of it but just knowing that you have fallen before and your gear has held helps a lot.

As for practice, Zebadee's approach worked for me. I just picked the climbs carefully to ensure I wasn't going to hurt myself.
anthonycuskelly
17/01/2012
9:38:48 AM
I'm terrified of falling... just starting (again) to work on it. And the only way to not be scared of it is to prove that (a lot of the time) it's not (particularly) dangerous.

StuckNut
17/01/2012
11:38:50 AM
On 16/01/2012 shortman wrote:
>Hate falling with a passion. Fear of it makes me zone in and climb with
>power and precision.

Maybe you wouldn't be so scared if you stopped to put some gear in when you climbed!

I'm waiting to get my trad grade up to where falling doesn't mean scraping down the face and bouncing off a few ledges! Until then I'm happy to climb just under my limit on gear.

Eduardo Slabofvic
17/01/2012
11:52:54 AM
If you're not going to fall on your gear, then why place it? You'ld climb lighter and faster, hence more safely if you didn't take any gear along.

This is a brilliant revelation - an epiphany even. Taking guidance various threads on this forum, sport climbing is dangerous, trad climbing is safe, and now soloing is safer than trad, so all beginner climbers reading this should start off soloing everything, until one day they build up the necessary skills that will enable them to clip a bolt every 3m.
vonClimb
17/01/2012
12:06:13 PM
I think practice falling, preferably on sport, is a good idea so you don't get into bad habits when falling on trad. For example you know how to brace your self with your legs, how not to grab at stuff on the way down etc.

Falling on trad definitely gives you a lot of confidence in your gear and you don't feel like your going to die when your pumping out. It also gives you an idea of how good a placement needs to be, in order to hold a fall.

As for deliberately falling on trad, I know a few people who do it and there is that book on climbing psychology which recommends you do it regularly. I guess its up to the individual and assuming your gear works, there are benefits. Its not for me though, and besides I don't think my belayer would particular enjoy catching practice...

jkane
17/01/2012
1:00:48 PM
Voted yes. This is something I think will help my leading and I've been meaning to do it for a while but haven't yet. Mainly for confidence in my gear, but also just to get used to the dynamics of falling with gear below and sometimes off to the side a bit.

I have also been doing a bit of aiding as a way of testing placements - also to increase my ability in placing gear and my confidence in it.

benjenga
17/01/2012
2:12:58 PM
Falling is fun, give the climb 100% and if you fall it's a bonus. Climb steeper route wait till your a safe height and let go.
Falling is fine once you know nothing bad is going to happen, unless you unlucky (or Paul)

White Trash
17/01/2012
4:17:13 PM
falling can hurt so it dont help my leading

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints