Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
Author
not thievery but worse??

freesolo
3-Jan-2012
10:41:01 AM
so if you think it's rubbish that a 'booty' biner was liquidated, what is your position on drunken asssssssss having a techo rave new's year until sunrise, thus 'thieving' sleep away from people who were actually at araps to climb???

if one group of people can do as they please and interfere with others' enjoyment of the climbing, why in the world would you get upset about booty? I found a sling with a cam on a climb last month, one of my friends found a new c4 in november, is that OK??

if you want everyone to respect everyone else's property, then you should equally support everyone's respect of everyone else's sleep.

Miguel75
3-Jan-2012
10:46:43 AM
A simple hammer could have solved all your problems;)

shortman
3-Jan-2012
10:59:56 AM
Don't get me started! Thievin sleep! For frucks sake. Two words - ear plugs.
bl@ke
3-Jan-2012
11:00:41 AM
THAT PARTY WAS RAAAAD!!!!!!
HEY ITS YOU!!! WHERE DID YOU GO?
OOH WHATS THAT??
THAT MUSIC IS RAD. WHATS THAT MOVIE?? WHERE DID MY BALOON GO??? I NEED A DANCE. HEY LOOK AT MY SHADOW!!
FITZYYYYY!!!!!!! MMM THAT BANANA TASTES GOOOD. DANCE DANCE.

HEY DONT TAKE THOSE MAN

WHAT? I ALREADY TOOK THEM MAN

OHHHHH HAHAHA

WHAT MAN??????

And there was still time to enjoy the sunrise
simey
3-Jan-2012
11:30:27 AM
Is this thread serious? Given the party was held in the picnic shelter, I reckon it was pretty hard to even hear any sound from the Pines. If you were camped at the bottom of the northern campground, you might have heard a bit more noise, but jeezus, it's NYE! The time taken to move your tent would probably be less than bitching about it on Chockstone.

..::- Chris -::..
3-Jan-2012
11:30:35 AM
On 3/01/2012 freesolo wrote:
>so if you think it's rubbish that a 'booty' biner was liquidated, what
>is your position on drunken asssssssss having a techno rave new's year until
>sunrise, thus 'thieving' sleep away from people who were actually at araps
>to climb???

Yeah man people can be so inconsiderate, I was constantly being woken from my dazed "Come down" by stupid ass trad climbers banging hexes thus "thieving" sleep away from people who were "actually" at araps to party?? WTF

Since when are you allowed to climb at araps anyways, it's always been a strictly party only place, now there are bush walkers, drifters, families and even climbers using what was once a peaceful place to party....

Gone are the days when we could just rock up around 11pm, setup the decks and party till dawn and then enjoy uninterrupted sleep until dark....

I tried putting ear plugs in but their damm HEX's seem to get louder as the day went on... At one stage I called the police and they asked the climbers politely to walk quieter through the camp ground, but sure enough once the police left out cam more HEX's and CAMS...

Oh and don't get me started on the ramblings,,, there were people right outside my tent in the middle of the day rambling on "hey man just did bard was totally sick yeah man..."

The nerve of some people..... ;-)

(Incidentally I was in Melbourne, but I would have had 0 problems with party goers at araps on NYE... Wasn't it 40 degrees anyways)

alrob
3-Jan-2012
11:50:15 AM
Bahaha! Where is the Facebook-esque "Like" button for bl@kes and Chris' posts!

The last all night NYE party was a few years ago I believe. 2 sleepless nights in 3 years at the Pines??? Sounds like a pretty good ratio for the sleepy folk out there.

And technichically it was a trashy 80's/dirty electro dance party.

Great to see everyone embrace the 80's and dress up in some "good" bad 80's fashion!

freesolo
3-Jan-2012
11:53:28 AM
so do white skinned australians have more rights than australians of color?

do rich people have more rights than impoverished people?

does a tax-paying 35 year old have more rights to a donor kidney than a non-taxpaying 5 year old?

whose rights supersede others rights? who makes the decision?

do you believe that only the loudest get to make the decision?

was arapiles the only location people could celebrate new years with loud music?

as far as i know, there aren't any 100m rock faces in melbourne, ballarat, geelong where people could get up in the morning and climb. so, why were the partiers at araps afforded more rights than the non-partiers?

i'm glad i'm not a dark-skinned, poor, mute australian.

and yes, this does relate to rock-climbing. who decides when a crag should be bolted or bolt free? who decides when fixed tat should be removed? who decides if numerous fire rings on the ground is the best way to preserve the flora? or did anyone even consider that celebrating an arbitrary calendar change may not be the best way to forge a community-assuming anyone in victoria cares more about a climbing community than drinking.

shortman
3-Jan-2012
12:42:34 PM
On 3/01/2012 freesolo wrote: a whole heap of crap
>so do white skinned australians have more rights than australians of color?
No
>do rich people have more rights than impoverished people?
No
>does a tax-paying 35 year old have more rights to a donor kidney than
>a non-taxpaying 5 year old?
No
>whose rights supersede others rights? who makes the decision?
Huh, the decision maker?
>do you believe that only the loudest get to make the decision?
No
>was arapiles the only location people could celebrate new years with loud
>music?
No
>as far as i know, there aren't any 100m rock faces in melbourne, ballarat,
>geelong where people could get up in the morning and climb. so, why were
>the partiers at araps afforded more rights than the non-partiers?
They were not offered more rights. Did u spk up?
>i'm glad i'm not a dark-skinned, poor, mute australian.
Are u bein racist?
>and yes, this does relate to rock-climbing. who decides when a crag should
>be bolted or bolt free? who decides when fixed tat should be removed? who
>decides if numerous fire rings on the ground is the best way to preserve
>the flora?
People
or did anyone even consider that celebrating an arbitrary calendar
>change may not be the best way to forge a community-assuming anyone in
>victoria cares more about a climbing community than drinking.
huh? Your best tangent by far.

alrob
3-Jan-2012
12:47:30 PM
Wow pal, I didn't realize you were so precious about your sleep. There was a box of 100 earplugs provided for those who wished to use them. There was also a post here on Chockstone about the party. Flyers were put up in the Cafe and on the noticeboard at the pines.

But considering the number (i guess at least 50-60) of climbers who turned up to the free party to celebrate for just a single night instead of each seeing in the New Year sharing a beer with a mate and most likely not interacting with the people camped next to them..... I would see that as a success in bringing the climbing community together. Something which rarely happens in Victoria.

Of course there was always going to be some who didn't like it. But really, if you are trying to compare the indifference occurring within society due to race or financial status to your own plight of a restless night sleep, then perhaps a night of fun, dancing, and interaction with the climbing community would have given you a better perspective.

I guess if you had your way, you would have shut the party down hey?

That's a pretty big and selfish decision in its own right wouldnt you agree? When the will of one affects the will of many?

Some people were a bit annoyed the next day. And I am sorry that they were affected. But I also thank them for their understanding that for one night climbers at the climbing area wanted to have a party for NYE. Sure the date is arbitrary. So is December 25. But it didnt stop you from getting into the Christmas spirit did it?
kieranl
3-Jan-2012
12:57:53 PM
On 3/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>Some people were a bit annoyed the next day. And I am sorry that they
>were affected. But I also thank them for their understanding that for one
>night climbers at the climbing area wanted to have a party for NYE. Sure
>the date is arbitrary. So is December 25. But it didnt stop you from getting
>into the Christmas spirit did it?
Why couldn't you just turn the music down after 1 AM? It is a campground after all.

Miguel75
3-Jan-2012
1:03:04 PM
On 3/01/2012 freesolo wrote:
>so do white skinned australians have more rights than australians of color?
>
>do rich people have more rights than impoverished people?
>
>does a tax-paying 35 year old have more rights to a donor kidney than
>a non-taxpaying 5 year old?
>
>whose rights supersede others rights? who makes the decision?
>
>do you believe that only the loudest get to make the decision?
>
>was arapiles the only location people could celebrate new years with loud
>music?

I know where you're coming from as my 1.5 & 2yo kiddies were woken up by fire works, drunken scallywags, and general jocularity but it was NYE for crying out loud! I knew it would happen anywhere we went because people usually celebrate with alcohol & loud music. And your examples (above) are kinda silly...
bl@ke
3-Jan-2012
1:07:34 PM
On 3/01/2012 kieranl wrote:
>On 3/01/2012 alrob wrote:
>>Some people were a bit annoyed the next day. And I am sorry that they
>>were affected. But I also thank them for their understanding that for
>one
>>night climbers at the climbing area wanted to have a party for NYE. Sure
>>the date is arbitrary. So is December 25. But it didnt stop you from
>getting
>>into the Christmas spirit did it?
>Why couldn't you just turn the music down after 1 AM? It is a campground
>after all.

Because it was just getting going by then!!! Sorry but no camping allowed in the shelter. The campground is up the hill a tad :)
It could hve been worse. You could of had a zillion school kids come and set up their tents and trangias around your tent at 1am. Instead you got classic tunes from fabulous artists like The Clash, Afrika Bambaata and many others !
mthrfckr
3-Jan-2012
1:18:52 PM
"as far as i know, there aren't any 100m rock faces in melbourne, ballarat, geelong"

well, you're looking in the wrong places. There are 100m cliffs in the Grampians, Buffalo and a bunch of smaller places where you could have had a good night’s sleep and climbed the next day. Could have even free soloed if you had the cojones.

I'm with alRob - one night every two years (just do the maths for you) - that means you get 729 to sleep. I say you win.

In the words of those that have full-timed at the Pines for any length of time.
"Fuk off, we live here."

PS: I know it's the interweb and language is a malleable thing, but thieves is an ie.
PPS: I appreciate the irony of this coming from someone with no vowels in their name (but neither does YHWH).
PPS: Nice troll by the way.
Mike Bee
3-Jan-2012
1:41:54 PM
I was at Araps, I didn't head over to the party, but had no complaints about the volume or time of the music.
I'd complain about the music itself, I thought there were some shocking songs being played, I would have stuck with more mainstream stuff that the majority of people like. Some of that RnB/Hip Hop style crap is either you love it or hate it, and unfortunately for me, I was in the latter category. I couldn't deal with hanging around at the shelter as me and my girlfriend were really disliking the DJs choice of music.

But, I was camped in the lower gums and managed to sleep just fine despite the tunes, so I reckon it was a good event overall. Perhaps next year we need another stage with some more easy going, commerical beats too ;-)

Eduardo Slabofvic
3-Jan-2012
1:51:14 PM
On 3/01/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>>I'd complain about the music itself,

I second that. There was far too l ittle New Romanic and Goth.

I can't dance to anything else

gavo
3-Jan-2012
1:54:34 PM
I'm with the "are you serious?" comment.

It was NYE and the organisers did a bloody fantastic job by also notifying people of what was coming. I've known about this party for 2 months (or was it 3?). Everyone I know knew about it...

Again... it was New Years... Don't imagine I would complain anywhere in the world about a lot of noise on new years...

Thanks again to all involved, brilliant night

And suggesting (even with a question mark) that it was worse than thievery?... urmm... no.. no it is not. Not even close.

..::- Chris -::..
3-Jan-2012
1:58:19 PM
I take it Punks in the Gym didn't go down for you New year’s day.... ;-)

Have you honestly never hosted a party at your house back in the day and had it run all night with good friends great tunes and a good vibe ?? Gotta be some good party memories? Have you ever kept the neighbors awake for a party ? Have they ever kept you awake...? You keep talking about who is the boss, but it’s not like that…. Swings and Roundabouts....Whenever my neighbors have a loud party I usually lay awake happy that people are out enjoying themselves (and jealous that I’m not)... and this goes especially on NYE!

I do agree with you in regards to damaging the environment, however the examples you gave didn’t really cry out to me……

I doubt any person at that party would be intolerable of the noise in the reverse situation….

But the good thing from this is you know not to go to ARAPs for NYE as people will be up all night having fun and it may get in the way of your sleep. Also here is another HOT TIP free of charge…..I'd avoid ARAPS at Easter, as for some strange reason people tend to party late on the Saturday night….. plus it will save you posting here about the lack of sleep and the lack of tent real estate ;-)

BoulderBaby
3-Jan-2012
2:34:03 PM
I think the music could have been louder. I couldn't hear it from melbourne.

Always one bitcchy moany person to spoil it for the partiers.

At least you were at Araps!
Unlike poor me who had to work to sell things to people going away for new years *Grumble grumble*

alrob
3-Jan-2012
2:34:15 PM
On 3/01/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>I was at Araps, I didn't head over to the party, but had no complaints
>about the volume or time of the music.
>I'd complain about the music itself, I thought there were some shocking
>songs being played, I would have stuck with more mainstream stuff that
>the majority of people like. Some of that RnB/Hip Hop style crap is either
>you love it or hate it, and unfortunately for me, I was in the latter category.
>I couldn't deal with hanging around at the shelter as me and my girlfriend
>were really disliking the DJs choice of music.
>.
>But, I was camped in the lower gums and managed to sleep just fine despite
>the tunes, so I reckon it was a good event overall. Perhaps next year we
>need another stage with some more easy going, commerical beats too ;-)

Thank you Mike for an honest opinion of the party.

I'm glad we didn't affect your time at Araps as much as some others.

I am sorry to hear we couldn't accommodate your taste in music. I also appreciate that you didn't just take the usual opinion of 'the DJ is shit cos I don't like this music' that most people take. That said, I'm not even close to being a DJ so I would t have been offended :) in reality we were just a couple of dudes with a laptop and iTunes.

Hopefully next time Mike we can provide some tunes that has you out busting a groove on the dance floor with everyone else :D

Thank you to all that came to the party and who got into the spirit of the 80's with their fashion or their dance moves. Your support is appreciated.

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 43
There are 43 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints