General Climbing Discussion

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
Author
Thievery at Araps
vonClimb
2-Jan-2012
7:36:46 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to share something that I observed that irritated me a bit and hear what others had to say about it.

Last week someone left a drink bottle with a screw gate attached at the organ pipes. Someone was good enough to take it and leave it under the notice board at the toilets in hope that the owner would get it back.

However, it was there for about a day before someone stole the beaner and left the bottle.

In my opinion this is just plain theivery, but what do other chockstoners reckon?

Comablur
2-Jan-2012
7:47:14 PM
That's just f---ed up
rockranga
2-Jan-2012
11:35:50 PM
grab your pitch forks, lets get lynch'n

shortman
3-Jan-2012
12:02:25 AM
If I left a carabiner behind then I'd hope someone would take it and use it rather than sittin at the bottom of a climb or outside a dunny. What the fruck is with this mentality that climbers are always gonna toe this imaginary moral line?
tskinner
3-Jan-2012
12:32:14 AM
On 3/01/2012 shortman wrote:
>If I left a carabiner behind then I'd hope someone would take it and use
>it rather than sittin at the bottom of a climb or outside a dunny. What
>the fruck is with this mentality that climbers are always gonna toe this
>imaginary moral line?

I don’t think it’s a matter of that people think that all climbers will toe this imaginary line. It’s a hope that they will - that people won’t be assholes about it and when it comes down to it, do the right thing. If there are never any expectations of what is the right thing to do – well that can only mean that it’s all downhill really. I would much prefer to hang onto the hope that people would toe this particular line. Booty and it’s definition might be quite varied, - this was not booty. The large water bottle and its biner (used to hold it to the harness) were left at the bottom of a climb. Lost property is often noted on the notice board and sometimes left there. It was left at the noticeboard area with the understanding that it was not booty. Even with the broad definition of booty, whoever took it, knew it wasn’t.
If I left a water bottle with a carabiner behind I would hope that someone would take it and leave it outside the dunny where notices of lost and found and property itself are often left. I wouldn't expect it - but I would hope for it.

shortman
3-Jan-2012
1:05:37 AM
Yeah, I saw it sitting there, and I can see where ur comin from. It wasn't booty and was stolen. I lose shite all the time, so to me it's just a cyclic thing. And as for the notion of hope, well without it I'd be rooted. But I'm silmultaneously realistic. Some silly frucker gave in to temptation and took his/her opportunity. They didn't wake up in the morning and think 'I'm gonna go steal me some gear'.

VonClimb asked me what I thought. And I told 'em. Perhaps I should have worded it better -

VonClimb we lived in a a frucked up world with tests and trials constantly bombarding us. Someone failed and took the biner. It's the friggin world we live in. Hopefully they help an old lady across the street tomorrow.

And for what it's worth I reckon over a thousand biners would have gone home with their rightful owners on the same day. Lets rejoice in that, :)

Or is that just bein too positive?
citationx
3-Jan-2012
8:28:17 AM
On 3/01/2012 shortman wrote:

Actually, I think you're a bit of a tool. And I think the swearing (even though you're not "actually" swearing cause you've put an extraneous letter in here or there) should go too.
But back to the subject, I agree with t. It's pretty bad when you come to expect this sort of thing, and I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting people to toe the imaginary line or to be ethical in what you do eihter. If someone is doing something wrong, tell them, let them know they've been spotted and it's not ok. I find there's every reason to be outraged at this act. Any act of thievery, actually.

shortman
3-Jan-2012
9:13:43 AM
On 3/01/2012 citationx wrote:
>On 3/01/2012 shortman wrote:
>
>Actually, I think you're a bit of a tool. And I think the swearing (even
>though you're not "actually" swearing cause you've put an extraneous letter
>in here or there) should go too.
>But back to the subject, I agree with t. It's pretty bad when you come
>to expect this sort of thing, and I don't think there's anything wrong
>with expecting people to toe the imaginary line or to be ethical in what
>you do eihter. If someone is doing something wrong, tell them, let them
>know they've been spotted and it's not ok. I find there's every reason
>to be outraged at this act. Any act of thievery, actually.

Call the cops. They might be able to get prints off the bottle still.

Or is talkin about your outrage on the internet enough for u?
lacto
3-Jan-2012
9:21:01 AM
Ok you heading down to the toilets and you find $2 on the ground what do you do ? (very few people wouldn't keep it ) Instead you find a $20 note on the ground ? or a purse with a couple of hundred dollars and no identification in it .
According to the police anything of any value found and kept is in breach of section 74 of the crimes act -theft by finding However take it to the local police station and if not claimed within 3 months it is yours . Sooo if you want to collect booty legally Take it to a cop shop wait three months and it is yours plus you have created a heap of work for the police etc so before you claim theft maybe you should check with the police . What is YOUR cut off for not pocketing $2 ,$20 $200 ? a crab , cam , rope ?

Miguel75
3-Jan-2012
9:45:56 AM
On 3/01/2012 lacto wrote:
>...What is YOUR cut off for not pocketing $2 ,$20 $200 ? a crab , cam , rope ?

$2, game on every time. $200, depends on who's watching. A rope, depends on who's on the other end:)

We are living in a material world; and I am a material guy!

Eduardo Slabofvic
3-Jan-2012
10:11:02 AM
On 3/01/2012 lacto wrote:
>to collect booty legally Take it to a cop shop wait three months
>and it is yours plus you have created a heap of work for the police etc

Work in pairs

1st person goes into cop shop and says "Oh dear, my X has ben stolen"

Cop says, "lets have a look to see if its been handed in"

go in and have a look around, and see what looks good, noting details of the good gear. Then say, "No its not here. Oh well". Then leave. Go and give the details of the good gear to person 2.

Person goes into Cop shop and says, "My Y has been stolen, it loks like this - blah blah blah blah".

Cop says, "Hey I think we've got that. Here ya go"

A lot of effor for some old cruddy biner that has probably been dropped - why else would it be on the water bottle and not the rack

shortman
3-Jan-2012
10:46:10 AM
A lot of effor for some old cruddy biner that has probably been dropped - why else would it be on the water bottle and not the rack?

Thats what I thought when I saw it. The biner I use has fallen a dozen floors down a stairwell. Looks fine, but I know it's dicey as. Perfect for shoes and a bottle.
simey
3-Jan-2012
11:36:12 AM
On 2/01/2012 vonClimb wrote:
>In my opinion this is just plain theivery, but what do other chockstoners reckon?

Seems like a pretty low act in my opinion. That is unless the person who 'stole' it recognised it as one of their biners and thus it has simply returned to its rightful owner.

StuckNut
3-Jan-2012
11:59:14 AM
Just give the dude back his biner Shortman ;-)

shortman
3-Jan-2012
12:32:17 PM
On 3/01/2012 StuckNut wrote:
>Just give the dude back his biner Shortman ;-)

No way. I had to go back to my tent and get my nut tool to detach it from the bottle.

Happy new year StackedNUTS, have fun in NZ. How is the ankle feelin?
climberman
3-Jan-2012
4:43:53 PM
maybe the owner grabbed it but no longer wanted the bottle.

salty crag
3-Jan-2012
5:59:00 PM
Im way to superstitious to thieve anything, karma's a bitch when it catches up with you.
dalai
3-Jan-2012
6:17:36 PM
On 3/01/2012 climberman wrote:
>maybe the owner grabbed it but no longer wanted the bottle.

So shall we change the topic to Littering at Araps?
climberman
3-Jan-2012
7:18:46 PM
On 3/01/2012 dalai wrote:
>On 3/01/2012 climberman wrote:
>>maybe the owner grabbed it but no longer wanted the bottle.
>
>So shall we change the topic to Littering at Araps?

Yes.

Or, laziness at Araps !
climberman
3-Jan-2012
7:19:37 PM
Or, 'how to gift bottles and create online discussion in one easy step'.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
There are 22 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints