Chockstone Forum - General Discussion

General Climbing Discussion

Author
Instructors?
Jimmy
24-Jul-2011
5:02:33 PM
Hi

My friend and I are after an instructor to show us the fundamentals of trad climbing. A licensed instructor is preferred, but open to other options.

I've checked out Arapiles Climbing Guides and the VCC courses, but thought I'd see what the forum comes up with before making a decision. Any suggestions at all will be appreciated.

Cheers
Jimmy

Sabu
24-Jul-2011
9:17:12 PM
Instructors are good but its worth noting that for a day of guided climbing it can be quite expensive.

An economic option is VCC, catch is of course you can't dictate when they are run or who runs it and how it may suit your needs (others who have attended one of these courses may be able to give some more info regarding this).

Another option is to befriend someone who climbs a lot outdoors and just get them to show you.
simone
24-Jul-2011
9:36:09 PM
>Instructors are good but its worth noting that for a day of guided climbing it can be quite expensive.

They are not all expensive.
In fact sometimes they will do it for nothing depending on how they are feeling.
I could tell you lots of stories about it but some clients wouldn't be happy about that.
simey
24-Jul-2011
10:35:38 PM
On 24/07/2011 simey. wrote:
>I could tell you lots of stories about it but some clients wouldn't be happy about that.

I don't think the Natimuk Footy Club would be unhappy if it is mentioned that I have taken them climbing for nothing.

shortman
24-Jul-2011
10:39:06 PM
Is this like an online fight with multiple personalities? Dr Strangelove styles?

Sabu
25-Jul-2011
8:32:27 AM
I think he was afraid we would read into that statement in an entirely different manner!

Paulie
25-Jul-2011
9:04:51 AM
A good 1:1 with an instructor will definately provide you with some good insights into placing solid gear that might otherwise be diluted or missed when heading off with a group of people. I highly recommend joining the VCC and going out on trips to varied locations with them or more experienced members as placing good gear is all about experience. Climbing with the VCC will go some way to ensuring you get to climb on as many rock types / situations as possible, this is an extremely important part of being a competent trad leader, e.g., trad climbing at Arapiles is very different to climbing at the Rock near Wagga, same rock type but different underlying angles and positions makes the experience of placing gear extremely different on some routes. For me, grade ticking is an irrelevant part of climbing and practicing grade consolidation is key to becoming a strong climber (a mate of mine who now lives near Araps taught me this a long time ago); do loads of grade 10s then 11s, 12s etc etc, leading routes at each grade on trad (IMO, forget about gyms and to some extent, sport routes, as they ruin your confidence on trad routes) on various rock types is key to being a good, safe and capable all round climber, and always remember to climb for yourself!

Eduardo Slabofvic
25-Jul-2011
12:28:33 PM
On 25/07/2011 Paulie wrote:
>A good 1:1 with an instructor

This is the bit Simey doesn't really understand.
TobyB
25-Jul-2011
10:07:26 PM
There are several ways of gaining the necessary knowledge to become a competent and safe trad climber, hiring a qualified climbing instructor guarantees you professional guidance with the current national best practice in climbing safety and equipment. Like in all skills, practise can be acquired by simple trial and error or perhaps observation of others. Engaging guiding services though, means you employ someone who is trained to deliver the necessary and important information in a manner that whilst educating you ensures the most appropriate safety measures are in place for a given risk. Typically guiding companies in the Grampians and Arapiles regions are small owner operator enterprises run by climbers and employ local guides, meaning you get qualified instruction from a climber with local crag knowledge and a passion for climbing rocks. You must decide which way of gaining this knowledge bests suits you.
Good luck on becoming trad savvy and never stop learning.
Toby Bucek

shortman
25-Jul-2011
10:18:29 PM
On 25/07/2011 TobyB wrote:
>There are several ways of gaining the necessary knowledge to become a competent
>and safe trad climber, hiring a qualified climbing instructor guarantees
>you professional guidance with the current national best practice in climbing
>safety and equipment.

I don't get this. Which national organisation qualifies the guides?
One Day Hero
25-Jul-2011
10:35:58 PM
If you're smart, you'll probably be able to work out how to be safe via a combination of; books, fear, mucking around by yourselves, and getting tips off people.

If you're a retard, all the instruction in the world won't make you safe at the crag.

There's lots of people who trad climb and probably shouldn't, cause they're just too dumb to get it properly.............what can you do?

shortman
25-Jul-2011
11:03:27 PM
On 25/07/2011 One Day Hero wrote:
>If you're smart, you'll probably be able to work out how to be safe via
>a combination of; books, fear, mucking around by yourselves, and getting
>tips off people.
>
>If you're a retard, all the instruction in the world won't make you safe
>at the crag.
>
>There's lots of people who trad climb and probably shouldn't, cause they're
>just too dumb to get it properly.............what can you do?

Solo?

Eduardo Slabofvic
26-Jul-2011
9:19:41 AM
On 25/07/2011 TobyB wrote:
>hiring a qualified climbing instructor guarantees
>you professional guidance with the current national best practice in climbing
>safety and equipment.

> Engaging guiding services
>though, means you employ someone who is trained to deliver the necessary
>and important information in a manner that whilst educating you ensures
>the most appropriate safety measures are in place for a given risk.

> employ local guides, meaning you
>get qualified instruction from a climber

You crack me up. LOL!
simone
26-Jul-2011
11:11:35 AM
On 26/07/2011 Eduardo Slabofvic. wrote:
>On 25/07/2011 TobyB wrote:
>>hiring a qualified climbing instructor guarantees
>>you professional guidance with the current national best practice in
>climbing
>>safety and equipment.
>
>> Engaging guiding services
>>though, means you employ someone who is trained to deliver the necessary
>>and important information in a manner that whilst educating you ensures
>>the most appropriate safety measures are in place for a given risk.
>
>> employ local guides, meaning you
>>get qualified instruction from a climber
>
>You crack me up. LOL!

I resemble that remark!
Hey Ed, do you want my overflow work?

Eduardo Slabofvic
26-Jul-2011
12:16:37 PM
No, I've got enough overflow already

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints