Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope) Only 2 left!  $39.00
44% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Carrot extractor?
gfdonc
9/08/2013
12:37:42 PM
Does anyone have the wherewithals to make a carrot extractor, or has one they'd like to sell?

I'm thinking of a metal plate with a keyhole opening and four (or more) bolts to crank up some outwards pull.

In titanium of course ;-)
ST

nmonteith
9/08/2013
1:02:28 PM
I had one of those (I think Malcolm made it for me). Problem is after extracting about 5 carrots it kind of mangled itself - bent out of shape and the thread on one of the bolts got damaged. So in my experience it was great in theory - but in practice a bit of a waste of time. It also left 4 imprints in the rock. These days i either just snap them off, or drill a parallel larger hole and tap the bolt into it. Works much better.

Eduardo Slabofvic
9/08/2013
1:09:03 PM
I had one that used a second plate to avoid the imprinting from the bolts. Then I tried connecting the two plates so it was one unit and didn't flop about so much, then the internet was invented.
tskinner
9/08/2013
1:55:24 PM
On 9/08/2013 gfdonc wrote:
>Does anyone have the wherewithals to make a carrot extractor, or has one
>they'd like to sell?
> snip

In my experience, any child up to the age of about 10 should be good for the job. You might have trouble trying to buy one though as their owners usually like them - apart from when they're extracting carrots.

Miguel75
9/08/2013
2:21:58 PM
On 9/08/2013 tskinner wrote:
>In my experience, any child up to the age of about 10 should be good for
>the job. You might have trouble trying to buy one though as their owners
>usually like them - apart from when they're extracting carrots.

I have a 3 yr old I'd trade for a #6 WC or BD? If he's no good at pulling carrots he should go alright in a coal mine or textile factory...

The good Dr
9/08/2013
2:23:26 PM
Surgeons. They are qualified and insured to do it.

harold
9/08/2013
2:29:30 PM
I have one that I made and have used to pull about 10 carrot bolts out at the You Yangs. Was pretty easy to make, just needed a friend to cut the threads for the bolt holes at his work. It as 6 bolts holes, 2 at the edge for when you can only just get the edge of the plate under the bolt head.

It can be a little fiddly and time consuming but works and I like the idea of re-using the old hole rather than drilling a new one. The amount the bolt heads stick out varies a lot so it can either be really hard getting the plate under the bolt, or I need to use a spacer for the ones that stick out really far.

I also use a thin piece of metal so the bolts don't mark the rock, although on granite its not really noticable. It mainly stops wrecking the thread on the end of the bolts from grinding on the rock.
I could post a pic of it later.

The good Dr
9/08/2013
2:56:48 PM
A modified bearing puller would also be an option.

tnd
9/08/2013
4:49:15 PM
I doubt if it would have pulled these out
http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=6&MessageID=16106&Replies=1
mikllaw
9/08/2013
6:40:42 PM
From experience, it's a rare bolt that could be pulled straight out with a puller.
If it could, I suspect that twisting it out would have worked anyway. (use the right size ring spanner, or pipegrips)

If that doesn't work, do the Mitch Warren shuffle, hit the bolt at 4 points around the shaft where it enters the rock and then twist/shear it off flush

harold
9/08/2013
11:21:19 PM
From 2011_0710

From 2011_0710

and here it is

I beveled the front edge to make it thin enough to get under the bolt heads that don't have much gap. And then two bolt holes at the front to screw it out enough until you can slide the whole plate under. The bolt holes are 8mm. Its worked on all the bolts so far. The first bolt I tried to pull out, I tried twisting the carrot with a long spanner hoping to loosen it. The bolt didn't budge until the head just twisted off so I didn't try that again.

nmonteith
9/08/2013
11:34:45 PM
And here is mine!

You can see where it broke - on the bottom right hand bolt it split the plate so it could no longer screw.

harold
9/08/2013
11:46:25 PM
Nice, it really needs to be a pretty beefy piece of steel. I probably made the key hole a little long, shorter would make it a bit stronger. Its started to bend just a little. I have no idea how much, but I think it applies quite a lot of force. Considering the force you're pushing on a decent spanner, and a quarter turn will only pull outwards a fraction of a millimeter, must be heaps.
Reluctant
10/08/2013
11:22:40 AM
Arr....... What's up doc.
In construction we use a Rawlings tool. Bolt puller.
If pulling a 6 mm then it would look like a 24 mm bolt cut longitudinally. Drilled to 6 mm down the centre with room for carrot lobe. Has a small dig lip at the bottom.
Put a big washer against substrate, two sections around carrot, large nut run down. Tighten. Bites into carrot at bottom. Pulls out and twists at the same time. With a rattle gun in concrete panel have pulled out long bolts that were epoxied in no problem. Can be made at home if you access to a fine cut metal bandsaw ( long cut down a bolt after core drilling with a hack saw stuff up external thread).
dalai
10/08/2013
1:04:34 PM
On 9/08/2013 harold wrote:
>
>I beveled the front edge to make it thin enough to get under the bolt
>heads that don't have much gap. And then two bolt holes at the front to
>screw it out enough until you can slide the whole plate under. The bolt
>holes are 8mm. Its worked on all the bolts so far. The first bolt I tried
>to pull out, I tried twisting the carrot with a long spanner hoping to
>loosen it. The bolt didn't budge until the head just twisted off so I
>didn't try that again.

Might be keen to borrow one day if possible? Been thinking lately it would be good to go back to the YY's and replace all my carrots with GIB's...

harold
10/08/2013
7:39:12 PM
No worries, anytime.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11/08/2013
6:09:16 PM
On 10/08/2013 dalai wrote:
>Might be keen to borrow one day if possible? Been thinking lately it would
>be good to go back to the YY's and replace all my carrots with GIB's...

Is this a m/bike trip? If so, then I am interested...

There are 17 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints