Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

DMM: DMM ALLOY "Offset" have arrived!!! #Sizes 7 - 11. (5 piece) Range: 12 to 23.5mm. (Great Compliment to DMM Wallnuts. (Refer Peenuts for Profile) Awesome Pro!  $93.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Cover of New Climb Tasmania Guide
tastrad
3/07/2013
11:18:49 AM
Here is the first proposed design for the new selected best guide to Tasmania out in December. Please comment on photo choice, layout, font etc. Thankyou
http://climbnortherntasmania.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/cimbtasguidecover-2013-1.pdf

IdratherbeclimbingM9
3/07/2013
12:05:53 PM
P3 of those three is the better one for my vote, as I like the 'see through' look of the written text, whereas the first two pages cropped the head off the climber wearing the green shirt.

The blurb about how good climbing is in Tassie would be clearer to read for aging climbers if the text was dark font and slightly larger(!), though as it is, it wouldn't stop me from buying the guide.

Just took a second look. Maybe do the blurb in the same style as the box listing 'A Selected Best Guide To:', ie the light coloured font is much easier to read when it has the darker background.

For the bumblies amongst us, what percentage of climbs it contains, are under Gd 23, and how many of those are trad?
Cam McKenzie
3/07/2013
12:11:12 PM
Great pics Gerry,
I like the first one myself.

Miguel75
3/07/2013
12:40:12 PM
I like the first one.
maelgwn
3/07/2013
1:08:52 PM
The third one for me - dont like the climber being cut off on the front cover.

Also - the white text on white background obviously is not readable.

What does 'A Selected Best Guide' mean. Have you selected the best guide? I would suggest 'Selected Climbs' or 'Selected Crags' or similar would be easier to interpret.
Tastrad
3/07/2013
1:47:22 PM
Thanks for your input. It will be quite bumbly friendly. 500 routes between grade 1-22, 115 sport and 385 trad. For the whole book it is 850 routes, 368 sport and 482 trad.
The 2005 edition had 550 routes in total and was black and white with a few colour inserts. The new one will be full colour, 140 action photos, 300 additonal climbs, 8 new crags plus brief crag snapshots of 8 other venues such as Flinders Island and remote Ben Lomond cliffs. Each topo is color coded so at a glance the reader can tell if its trad, sport, mixed gear or carrots. Will be out in time for everyone's summer holiday to Tasmania.
maxdacat
3/07/2013
2:09:06 PM
First one.

nice looking shots anyway.

spiinal
3/07/2013
6:46:23 PM
I like the third one. Don't like the climber on the front being cut off.
dan_b
3/07/2013
10:35:19 PM
Third one. Looking forward to the book.

Cool Hand Lock
4/07/2013
7:47:04 AM
Page 3
ithomas
Online Now
4/07/2013
6:02:03 PM
Hi Gerry
I like photo 2 best - cleaner and less cluttered. I also think that 'A Selected Best Guide' doesn't make sense. 'Selected Best Climbs' would be acceptable. 'A guide to the best climbs in Tasmania' would be beter still and have the added advantage of pissing off any number of first ascentionists!
'Zoo

IdratherbeclimbingM9
4/07/2013
8:08:59 PM
I notice that you have implemented some changes as suggested in this thread, and the readability has improved greatly for me as a result.

I now like P2*, with the 'Selected best guide 2013 edition' typing in the box located over the water.

I tend to agree with others that the wording of 'Selected best guide' could be improved.
Maybe, '2013 Guide to a selection of best climbs', would work?

(* Regarding the cover, although I said I prefer P2, they are all good and it is just nitpicking personal preference, as they now all work for me).

BoulderBaby
4/07/2013
9:03:19 PM
3rd. Brighter, Clearer.
pecheur
4/07/2013
9:19:32 PM
3rd, the chopped off head is disconcerting.
maelgwn
5/07/2013
9:55:07 AM
I agree with M9, they all now work for me except for the wording of 'Selected best guide'
prb
5/07/2013
11:44:17 AM
"...20 best venues in the state."

I'd use a capital S for state in this instance but others may disagree.
Justcameron
5/07/2013
11:55:40 AM
In the blurb there are spaces missing between wilderness,spectacular and also trip.Locals

I'm not sure that "professionally designed" should be on the features list - the book and cover will speak for themselves in this regard.
Chockstone Moderator
26/08/2013
12:22:06 PM
On 26/08/2013 Tastrad wrote:

>Climb Tasmania Guidebook cover final artwork
>Here is the proposed artwork for the new selected best climbs to Tassie
>guide. Thanks to Chockstone readers for your feedback which was very helpful
>in the final design.
>The guide will be available first week of December in time for your Tasmanian
>summer road trip. You can pre-order a copy for $40 (free postage), otherwise
>its $49.95 from the shops. Email your order to narkowiczg@lcs.tas.edu.au
>Thanks for your support.
>
>http://climbnortherntasmania.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/climb-tas-guide-cover-final.pdf
>

[Update post as above, copied to here, and duplicate thread deleted by Chockstone Moderator]

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints