Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: Viper Size M (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 75-91cm Legs 50-63cm   $89.00
32% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Ultralight gear - OT thread may o'lap climbing too

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
3/06/2013
3:13:59 PM
On another thread on 29/05/2013 bjorniam wrote:
>Whilst you're there also check out the review of the best ultralight jacket
>http://fatcanyoners.org/bush-guide/zpacks-waterproof-breathable-cuben-fiber-rain-jacket/

This happily coincides with some recent homework I have been doing on other ultralight camping equipment that works for intended use, rather than just sales-pitch hype or propaganda from manufacturer; so newly inspired, I thought I'd start a thread to harness the collective knowledge of the experiences others on this site have had with ultralight gear, and their recommendations regarding same.

I have had good personal feedback about the bivvy tarps this mob makes, and consequently intend to purchase one, however at present am still researching if there is an aussie equivalent of similar capability as their Trailstar, and also tossing up between a cuben-fiber version, and the heavier (but cheaper), siliconised version...

I doubt that I am alone as an outdoor type on Chockstone who considers updating their gear from time to time and wants to go down the ultralight path.

Feel free to contribute comments and non-spam links where appropriate.

(I also haven't seen much activity on Chocky from WW&S lately due to his new enchantment with packrafts. ~> If he ever comes back we need a review from him! Heh, heh, heh.)

mallion
3/06/2013
3:55:10 PM
Have you come across this guy yet? - http://www.terrarosagear.com/
Custom made light weight gear, he can probably make you up something similar to the trailstar. I have received a few quotes from TerraRosa before and their prices seem reasonable.

Andrew_M
3/06/2013
3:55:46 PM
I've almost pressed "submit" twice on an order from "that mob" (mountain laurel designs) for their Event Soul bivi bag. It's had some great reviews on the lightweight backpacking sites and at about 350g for a full featured bivi it comes in at over a half kilo lighter than my current bag. But...14 weeks lead time (made individually to order) and $355 + shipping...ouch.

It's really surprising that the big outdoor companies haven't picked up on the use cuben fibre for alpine gear. There are a string of cottage companies making cuben tents/tarps/packs for backpacking, but no-one seems to be focused on climbing.
climberman
3/06/2013
6:54:50 PM
On 3/06/2013 Andrew_M wrote:
>It's really surprising that the big outdoor companies haven't picked up
>on the use cuben fibre for alpine gear. There are a string of cottage companies
>making cuben tents/tarps/packs for backpacking, but no-one seems to be
>focused on climbing.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com !

I have come very close to pulling the trigger on one of those.

Yesterday I saw that one of their packs had a glowing review by a guy whose trips I think are just wonderful - hard tassie scrub bashes to small rivers with pack rafting out.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/review/product/list/id/57/category/23/

Less gear weight has increased my walking enjoyment markedly.
widewetandslippery
4/06/2013
6:37:05 AM
Sub kilo single skin, bug proof, bucketed floor tents are pretty sturdy. I have used a "tarptent" tent which was 800g and in the $250 range.

As sexy as the cuben fibre flys go I do squirm at paying $300 for a hoochie.

M9, i havent drowned.................yet.
Mike Bee
4/06/2013
10:25:57 AM
Thanks for starting this thread.
Plenty of awesome new brands there for me dream about.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
4/06/2013
1:44:22 PM
On 4/06/2013 Mike Bee wrote:
>Plenty of awesome new brands there for me dream about.

+1, and I will certainly be following up for a quote from the aussie one mallion provided.

Another interesting fact that I have learnt from the links provided, is that cuben fiber comes in different weights, for different applications.

Hey A_M, did you see the custom bivvy-bag made from combo cuben/event on the mallion link? ~> It looks like a good item being waterproof base and breathable top yet still very light.

Good to know your still about ww&s ☺
grangrump
4/06/2013
9:18:17 PM
On 3/06/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>best ultralight...
>harness ...

what could possibly go wrogn?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
5/06/2013
12:23:15 PM
On 4/06/2013 grangrump wrote:
>On 3/06/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>>best ultralight...
>>harness ...
>
>what could possibly go wrogn?

The misquote is easily forgiven as I started in the days of waistloops and manilla...
;-)

Andrew_M
6/06/2013
3:20:38 PM
On 4/06/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:

>Hey A_M, did you see the custom bivvy-bag made from combo cuben/event
>on the mallion link? ~> It looks like a good item being waterproof base
>and breathable top yet still very light.

Cheers M9! I missed that one since it wasn't on his standard product list. The idea of some guy in suburban Melbourne making up gear to your specs in his garage is pretty cool. Might drop him an email to check details/costs.

Andrew_M
6/06/2013
3:38:39 PM
Good thread for this question...Has anyone seen/had experience with/got any thoughts about any of the new uber lightweight mountaineering boots that have started to come out recently? eg Scarpa Rebel ultra, ~1450g/pair (cf ~2450g/pr for Nepal Tops). Mainly - anyone tried them out in NZ or similar conditions?

Since energy usage for weight on the feet is ~6-9 times that on the back - changing boots should be like pulling 6+ kilos out of your pack, but it would kinda not so good if the tradeoff is losing all your toes to frostbite...

gfdonc
7/06/2013
9:07:23 AM
On 6/06/2013 Andrew_M wrote:
>it would kinda not so good if the tradeoff is losing all your toes to frostbite...

= further weight saving?

mallion
11/06/2013
2:16:43 PM
If anyone ends up getting something from Terrarosa Gear, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.

phillipivan
Online Now
14/06/2013
10:13:10 PM
Has anyone used the down quilts made by the likes of Nunatak or Katabatic? Thoughts, experiences?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
12/09/2013
11:16:35 AM
On 3/06/2013 mallion wrote:
>Have you come across this guy yet? - http://www.terrarosagear.com/
>Custom made light weight gear, he can probably make you up something similar
>to the trailstar. I have received a few quotes from TerraRosa before and
>their prices seem reasonable.

>

On 4/06/2013 IdratherbeclimbingM9 wrote:
>On 4/06/2013 Mike Bee wrote:
>>Plenty of awesome new brands there for me dream about.
>
>+1, and I will certainly be following up for a quote from the aussie one
>mallion provided...

Back on 26 June I did that.
They replied on 27 June, saying leave it with them, as I had given them enough information on what I want, and they would get back to me with a quote.
Heard nothing as of today, so I just followed up with a query about how is it going.
~> A bit disappointing, and more so in light of the fact that I am trying to keep my business in Aust as a first preference.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints