Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Set of 11 "Wallnuts" (1 to 11) NB NEW Anodized colours!!! New "lighter" version. Steve's favourite wired Nuts.  $169.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Gear Lust / Lost & Found

Rave About Your Rack Please do not post retail SPAM.

Author
Glazed rope and sundry silliness @ Staughton Vale

miguel75
6/03/2013
2:25:10 PM
So one of my climbing buddy's is heading off for 2 years and his one departing wish was to head out on a big wall and stay on the ledge. I decided the easiest way to fulfil his requests was to head to Staughton Vale for a night of ledge happiness.

We set up and settled in for the night, enjoying the stars, Kingston bikkies and the host of nocturnal creatures. I couldn't believe how many bats there were, along with growling Koalas and mosquitos... They were everywhere! When we called it a night I put the Kingstons in my mates sleeping bag bag and hung it from the daisy chains, conveniently, next to my head. I then fell asleep only to be woken some time later by freaking weird & furious movements coming from the bag containing the Kingstons. I was a little freaked and thought it might have been a possum looking for blood so woke Jake and made him look in the bag. My thinking was that I, as the driver, should be protected from any angry possum so I could drive Jake to the Hospital. He readily agreed and looked in the bag only to find it empty. He mocked me! I calmed my nerves, moved the bag and fell back asleep. A few hours later it happened again only this time I grabbed the bag and looked inside to find a cute little bat happily nibbling on a Kingston... We ended up losing 4 Kingstons to the crazy little creatures of the night, which amazes me as the bats were tiny, and a Kingston, while small, is nothing like bats usual fare.

Glazed rope; I pulled out my all round rope, mainly used for TR and jugging practice, and found it glazed along one half of it. Last week I was cutting laps jugging and rapping hauling Boogie til you puke, which I've done previously, though the big difference was this time I was wearing gloves and found the first few raps were much faster than usual. I noticed a little glazing and so slowed down but was surprised to find so much glazing along so much rope.

I don't use this rope for anything more than TR and jugging practice, though my question to you more advanced Chockstoners is this; is my rope still ok for TR and Jugging or would you retire it completely?

Sundry silliness; There are a few carrots scattered around climbs on the crag though I was surprised this time to find a number of carrots set into depressions throughout the crag. These bolts are placed in such a way that they load your biner across the edge. They're that badly placed you can't even girth hitch them with a sling. Pics to follow.

They don't look altogether too old. Does anyone know how long they've been there?

EDIT: Corrected rapping to hauling. And jugging backup/rap device is a Grigri 2.
bones
6/03/2013
2:58:45 PM
If you ever find that a bat has eaten ALL your kingstons, just whip up some curry sauce and cook the bat. I tried curried bat in madagasgar and it wasn't too bad
JDB
6/03/2013
3:25:17 PM
>
>Glazed rope; I pulled out my all round rope, mainly used for TR and jugging
>practice, and found it glazed along one half of it. Last week I was cutting
>laps jugging and rapping Boogie til you puke, which I've done previously,
>though the big difference was this time I was wearing gloves and found
>the first few raps were much faster than usual. I noticed a little glazing

Miguel,

I hope you were running your rope through your own quick draw carabinas, rather than wearing out the in situ rings. Otherwise, I know what caused your "glazing"

Miguel75
6/03/2013
4:26:42 PM
On 6/03/2013 JDB wrote:
>Miguel,
>
> I hope you were running your rope through your own quick draw carabinas,
>rather than wearing out the in situ rings. Otherwise, I know what caused
>your "glazing"

I probably should mention there aren't any rings atop Boogie anymore... I chopped them in my rush to get a double axle DCA t-shirt;)

EDIT: I'll try the curried bat next time though if they have a stomach full of Kingston's they may be better lightly battered, dusted with some cinnamon sugar and served on ice cream:)

phillipivan
6/03/2013
5:16:37 PM
Much like the bat, I too plan to one day eat half my body weight in chocolate cream filled biscuits. Nom nom.

E. Wells
6/03/2013
5:46:26 PM
You really shouldnt mention Kingstons when I live so far from a supermarket :-(

Miguel75
6/03/2013
10:53:44 PM
What do people reckon, glazed rope ok for jugging or for junking?

shortman
6/03/2013
11:12:20 PM
The core aint glazed Mike. Hypothetically, something without teeth might slip a bit more if it's glazed, but even then I don't know. Reckon it would be fine.
gfdonc
7/03/2013
9:13:35 AM
Don't you know the protocol yet? You send it up to Mike Law for 'testing'.
JDB
7/03/2013
9:21:10 AM
On 6/03/2013 JDB wrote:
>>
>>Glazed rope; I pulled out my all round rope, mainly used for TR and jugging
>>practice, and found it glazed along one half of it. Last week I was cutting
>>laps jugging and rapping Boogie til you puke, which I've done previously,
>>though the big difference was this time I was wearing gloves and found
>>the first few raps were much faster than usual. I noticed a little glazing
>
>
>Miguel,
>
> I hope you were running your rope through your own quick draw carabinas,
>rather than wearing out the in situ rings. Otherwise, I know what caused
>your "glazing"

Let me try again, but this time as a question: Miguel, I hope you were running your rope through your own quick draw carabinas?(rather than wearing out the in situ rings)

shortman
7/03/2013
9:32:04 AM
On 7/03/2013 JDB wrote:

>Let me try again, but this time as a question: Miguel, I hope you were
>running your rope through your own quick draw carabinas?(rather than wearing
>out the in situ rings)

JDB - Miguel75 would have to be the nicest, least intruding, conscientious climber I have come across. He probably even pads the bolts before attaching his quickdraws. I would bet both nuts that he didn't TR straight off the rings.

Miguel75
7/03/2013
10:04:07 AM
Hi JDB, apologies for not replying to your first post. I don't use rings (without an intermediary anchor setup) for TRing, but on occasion I have used naked rings to hang my carcass off;)

Thanks for the sentiments Dan. I try not to intrude at the crag but my constant ramblings and Tourette's like sharing of beta can be a little intrusive;)

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints