Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: Viper Size M (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 75-91cm Legs 50-63cm   $89.00
32% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Rock Climbing Rescues: Causes, Injuries, and Trend
gfdonc
12/07/2012
1:47:53 PM
Worthwhile cross-posting I thought:

Conclusions.—The occurrence of rock climbing–related rescue victims comprised one fifth of all rescue victims in Boulder County. A large fraction of incidents and fatalities resulted from unroped climbing. Incidents of lost or uninjured stranded climbers and belay incidents account for more than half of victims, which can likely be prevented by gaining appropriate experience, seeking local information, and applying some simple safety measures for control of rope belays.

http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/publications/2012_WEMJ_RMRG_Rock_Climb_Accidents.pdf
Olbert
12/07/2012
2:07:38 PM
Wow, some people really can't help themselves.
This quote was from the section discussing reasons for fatilities: "the failure of a top-rope anchor as a result of the climbing rope being threaded directly through the anchor webbing, and the failure of an anchor built from webbing spliced together using masking tape."
Reluctant
12/07/2012
2:31:47 PM
Masking tape hanging off a rack. New trend. Comes in colours. Always comes to a sticky end.
patto
12/07/2012
2:45:46 PM
The splice wouldn't have been done by the climber it would have been like that from the factory. Some rolls have splices in.
gfdonc
12/07/2012
3:52:54 PM
Yes and there was a court case a few years ago in Melbourne based around the same incident - the victim (who was instructing schoolchildren I believe) suing the supplier after taking a fall by going hand over hand down the freshly-uncoiled webbing to inspect the top of a cliff.

I don't have direct knowledge of the facts so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it was from a reliable source.
anthonycuskelly
12/07/2012
4:22:19 PM
Interesting read! Good to know that the things I worry about most (lead falls) are statistically unlikely to kill me...

ajfclark
Online Now
12/07/2012
5:22:51 PM
On 12/07/2012 anthonycuskelly wrote:
>Interesting read! Good to know that the things I worry about most (lead falls) are statistically unlikely to kill me...

Groveller
13/07/2012
9:30:22 AM
Interesting how 2 of the injuries were from overdose. Good reading for new climber.

ajfclark
Online Now
13/07/2012
9:36:26 AM
For those interested, the work by Sedgman is available here: http://uob-community.ballarat.edu.au/~isedgman/climbing/Accidents.pdf
anthonycuskelly
13/07/2012
10:25:57 AM
Indeed, but I'm too cautious at the moment, which leads to other problems.
Penny
20/07/2012
11:48:37 AM
"More than half of victims result from incidents occurring on weekends, with the midweek days accounting for the other half of climbing victims."

I wish I could come up with this brilliance...

Pat
20/07/2012
1:00:03 PM
Well maybe a careful reading of the statement could be interpreted as 'midweek' days being tuesday-thursday. Yeah that must be it, because I have never had an accident on Mondays or Fridays - how's that for brilliance Penny?

Eduardo Slabofvic
20/07/2012
1:01:50 PM
All of my accidents have occured two weeks either side of a full moon. Now thats freaky!
Penny
20/07/2012
2:41:07 PM
On 20/07/2012 Pat wrote:
>Well maybe a careful reading of the statement could be interpreted as 'midweek'
>days being tuesday-thursday. Yeah that must be it, because I have never
>had an accident on Mondays or Fridays - how's that for brilliance Penny?

Brilliant :)

There are 14 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints