Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond: Super Chute Rope Bag. Volume 25 litres. Single adjustable shoulder strap. Rope tarp dimensions: 146 X 126cm. 400d nylon. Assorted colours. (Holds up to 80M Rope)  $49.00
30% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
solo death at Camels hump
skegly
1/02/2012
5:46:05 PM
My wife just read about the death of a climber who was soloing.
Not only did climbing in general get a serve, l was wondering how does this affect access and how people precieve our sport.

nmonteith
1/02/2012
6:05:28 PM
Got a link to the story? I can't find anything on The Age website. Is this a recent event?

Peteb
1/02/2012
6:19:22 PM
http://www.elliottmidnews.com.au/news/local/news/general/rock-climber-killed/2438275.aspx
Fish Boy
1/02/2012
6:19:34 PM
http://www.elliottmidnews.com.au/news/local/news/general/rock-climber-killed/2438275.aspx
skegly
1/02/2012
6:21:25 PM
The midland express. Just the local free rag and it doesn't say much other than other climbers helped out.

The good Dr
1/02/2012
6:44:40 PM
I was wondering when this would turn up. I just happened to turn up in the car park while the SES and police were retrieving the body. I was able to provide some assistance to the police and will be providing a statement. The paper has the story wrong, and it is a lot more complex - as usual. Unfortunately I know a lot of details, but am not at liberty to divulge them until the investigation and corronial inquest is completed.

At this point can I ask that people show restraint. Also, if anyone has additional information regarding this unfortunate incident I can provide contacts to pass the information to.

Thanks

Miguel75
1/02/2012
8:10:45 PM
My thoughts are with his family, friends and the search party.

Sabu
1/02/2012
8:45:58 PM
Strange this hasn't been reported on.

My condolences to those involved.
Marky
2/02/2012
1:56:22 PM
Yet again the media has the story all wrong again...

Im not going to say what happened as im in no position
to do so and also in respect to the family.
Two of my friends were climbing there that day and
were the ones who discovered the body and who are
now helping the authorities with there investigation.
My thoughts and condolences are with the family and
friends.
Will_P
2/02/2012
2:18:57 PM
Naturally, my thoughts and condolences are with the deceased's family and friends also.

However, On 2/02/2012 Marky wrote: 'Yet again the media has the story all wrong again...' Which of the five sentences in the report were "all wrong"? I'm also highly concerned when the media presents a distorted view of climbing and perceived vs. real risk, but the link provided above doesn't present much other than some very basic details.

sliamese
2/02/2012
3:45:48 PM
On 1/02/2012 skegly wrote:
>My wife just read about the death of a climber who was soloing.
>Not only did climbing in general get a serve, l was wondering how does
>this affect access and how people precieve our sport.

unfairly, with a high degree of ignorance.

for the 12 months ending July 2011
...1,291 people were killed on our roads over the past year and around 32,000 people were hospitalised as a result of crashes,

so who's going to stop driving? or rant about how dangerous it is? right now you may be thinking 'oh but thats different'. how? it all comes down to how familiar we are with a given scenario. they don't get climbing, so its deadly. people 'get' driving, and do it everyday so we can't bad mouth that....

lfranklin
2/02/2012
5:25:00 PM
They rant about how dangerous driving is almost every ad break on the TV???
citationx
2/02/2012
6:03:31 PM
On 2/02/2012 lfranklin wrote:
>They rant about how dangerous driving is almost every ad break on the TV???

They rant about stupid people behind the wheel, I'd argue it's not the same message...
skegly
2/02/2012
6:56:11 PM
Firstly my condolences to the family and friends.
Please don't compare driving to climbing as a ratio as what is the actual statistic of climbing deaths if you don't include absailing or soloing? (do include self belay roped solo)
Every site on private property i climb reacts to this news.
On 2/02/2012 sliamese wrote:
>On 1/02/2012 skegly wrote:
>>My wife just read about the death of a climber who was soloing.
>>Not only did climbing in general get a serve, l was wondering how does
E>>this affect access and how people precieve our sport.
>
>unfairly, with a high degree of ignorance.
>
>for the 12 months ending July 2011
>...1,291 people were killed on our roads over the past year and around
>32,000 people were hospitalised as a result of crashes,
>
>so who's going to stop driving? or rant about how dangerous it is? right
>now you may be thinking 'oh but thats different'. how? it all comes down
>to how familiar we are with a given scenario. they don't get climbing,
>so its deadly. people 'get' driving, and do it everyday so we can't bad
>mouth that....
>
>
KMullett
13/03/2012
10:06:42 PM
Hello there,
I am the sister of the person who died in this incident, and the one who raised the alarm about this person not returning on the day of his climb. I am grateful for the restraint that your forum has shown in this incident. Just today I spoke to the police constable involved in this investigation. Please don't jump to conclusions about this incident. I would be very grateful if you would contact me.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
Online Now
13/03/2012
10:20:00 PM
On 13/03/2012 KMullett wrote:
>Hello there,
>I am the sister of the person who died in this incident, and the one who
>raised the alarm about this person not returning on the day of his climb.
> I am grateful for the restraint that your forum has shown in this incident.
> Just today I spoke to the police constable involved in this investigation.
> Please don't jump to conclusions about this incident. I would be very
>grateful if you would contact me.

When our climbing community loses a member we are truly the lesser for it in more ways than one, and we hope that you, your other family members, and friends are coping with this tragic loss.

At some time in the future, and only if you feel it is appropriate, those of us who remain could use constructive feedback to this forum if anything relevant comes to light (in an educational sense), for our ongoing safety when we choose to climb.
RebelRose
10/08/2012
1:37:54 PM
Was there ever any update on this story, I met the climber once (a real live wire) and always wondered what really happened...so sad.

cruze
10/08/2012
2:34:31 PM
I believe he didn't make a recovery. Please respect the wishes of the sister who posted two posts above... and try to give something back to the Chockstone community RebelRose, rather than so blatantly trying to trawl for information with your first post.

There are 18 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints