Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

DMM: New DMM "Belay Master 2" screwgate. I-beam construction and plastic clip. (State of the Art!) N/B Only 1 left!  $25.00
28% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

 Page 4 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 104
Author
journos abusing online forums

westie
21/01/2009
1:18:40 PM
On 20/01/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>By mending bridges I hope that in the future myself
>and other climbers can be contacted directly by the media for accurate
>information...

Good point. Probably worth a try. However, I suggest journos would still rather get the juice from friends through a forum and the like rather than get on the phone to a 'spokesman'. You get more colour if you have a variety of sources rather than the 'official line' on an accident..

nmonteith
21/01/2009
1:29:40 PM
It would more be a contact about climbing in general - to check facts such as climb names, locations, people involved in first ascents - pretty much the things they always get wrong!
mikl law
21/01/2009
1:39:54 PM
On 20/01/2009 simey wrote:
>> The reality is that the bolts
>in question wouldn't have failed if they had been placed correctly.

I think they aren't suitable for soft rock, and even with care, probably wouldn't hold any fall and would be dodgy under bodyweight with any outwards force component.

>The circumstances leading to this accident could have happened if someone had
>gone about placing glue-ins incorrectly.

Agreed, or poor carrot, or a bracket coming off a carrot or glue-in bolt, or unclipping from either end of a draw

nmonteith
21/01/2009
1:46:44 PM
On 21/01/2009 mikl law wrote:
>I think they aren't suitable for soft rock,

agreed

>and even with care, probably
>wouldn't hold any fall and would be dodgy under bodyweight with any outwards
>force component.

i disagree. they would certainly hold a small to medium sized fall and would hold on outwards force. There is a lot more reason why they would hold compared to a carrot i would think.
Onsight
21/01/2009
2:19:21 PM
Wrong thread fellas.

Loz and Tim
21/01/2009
6:54:39 PM
"FAIRNESS >>Staff will use fair, honest and responsible means to obtain material.
>They will identify >themselves and the newspaper before obtaining interviews
>or images." Interesting to read Sydney Morning Heralds code of conduct above- wonder what Daily Telegraph's code of conduct is?!

We happened to find out on the day of our good friend, Nicks funeral, that an image was taken directly from our flickr.com account without permission, despite the photo having copyright on it and used in an article for the Daily Telegraph. Not sure what the rules are around taking copyright images from online (anyone know?), but an e-mail from the Daily Telegraph to let us know they are using our image or asking permission prior to publishing would have been polite. Guess it comes down to what everyone is saying about newspapers/reporters using some "Respect" and communication skills.

Here is the Daily Telegraph article (not sure who wrote it- we didnt see the article) without any reference to where the picture came from. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,24871444-5001021,00.html

Here is the picture from flickr where it was taken, edited and says copyright (right hand side) http://www.flickr.com/photos/loz82j/1389559765/

So guess it not just text that can be taken from online forums/sites, but images can be edited and used too....without consent, discussion or despite copyright. Also, Flickr has a function to contact the account holder by e-mail, I suppose that would be courteous though.

Lauren
Duncan
21/01/2009
7:25:21 PM
^^ Incredibly NOT COOL. A friend of mine had some of his flickr photos used without permission, and flickr/yahoo took the people who did it to task. It might be worth contacting flickr and telling them about it - they take a very dim view of it. It's theft, plain and simple.

Flickr let's you set the licensing on your photos and that pic clearly says "All rights reserved". What they've done is illegal. Seriously, contact flickr and make them aware of this. They WILL follow it up for you.

nmonteith
21/01/2009
8:35:45 PM
They wouldn't dare do it with a professional photographer - so why do they think it's ok stealing these pictures from online? I've seen it again and again - photos taken from Facebook and Myspace accounts being used as the 'portrait' shot in a newspaper story. Surely it can't be legal?
Duncan
21/01/2009
8:48:43 PM
Dunno about myspace, but facebook have a super dogy agreement when you post stuff on there. I'd have to dig it up and cbf on this slow internet connection, but essentially facebook owns any photo you post, and by putting a pic on facebook you grant them the right to use it for whatever they want.

Flickr, on the other hand, is not dodgy. If it was my photo that had been stolen, heads would roll. That shit just doesn't fly. It wasn't stolen accidentally, someone has purposefully done something they would *have* to know was not legal.
Onsight
21/01/2009
11:44:21 PM
Check this out:

http://www.crikey.com.au/Media-Arts-and-Sports/20090121-Journos-circle-online-forums-for-the-dead.html

"In response to the furor created online, Bibby issued this statement to Crikey: ..."

The "furor" is this thread which, of course, was started by the Crikely journalist! Hmmm...

Also this. They say:

>Members of the forum were not impressed. Simon Carter told Crikey that he took issue >with McLean’s post because, "Because at that time Nick's family had not been notified."

Well firstly, unless my memory is completely shot and I'm now certifiably senile before my time, I sure don't remember talking to anyone from Crikey in the last few weeks, so I don't appreciate being quoted as if I have. Secondly those are not my words so I don't know why they are in quotes, it's paraphrasing what I said on this thread earlier which was this:
On 20/01/2009 Onsight wrote:
>Personally I've no real problem with what Paul did. My concern and questions
>are for the guy form the Telegraph and why he was trying to find out Nicks
>name before it was released by the police.

This whole thing seems like a media beat up me and I think Crikey should get it's act together before going around criticising other media outlets. Bloody time wasters.

Anyway great to see what we all write on this forum is considered such important "news".
;-P

DaCrux
22/01/2009
12:09:16 AM
Maybe she should write an article about journos who troll on forums just to get a reaction, so they have something to write about on slow news days. Hang on… isn’t that what her original article was about? :-P
J.C.
22/01/2009
2:37:58 AM
On 21/01/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>They wouldn't dare do it with a professional photographer

If i drank coffee i would be choking on it right now! I've never had a news paper shot used with prior permission.

nmonteith
22/01/2009
7:51:27 AM
On 22/01/2009 Josh Caple wrote:
>If i drank coffee i would be choking on it right now! I've never had a
>news paper shot used with prior permission.

So, have you asked about it Josh? What's the story??

nmonteith
22/01/2009
9:05:42 AM
I've put in a request to SMH asking what the legal situation is. Perhaps BigMike can give us an idea?

gremlin
22/01/2009
9:11:53 AM
>Well firstly, unless my memory is completely shot and I'm now certifiably
>senile before my time, I sure don't remember talking to anyone from Crikey
>in the last few weeks, so I don't appreciate being quoted as if I have.
>Secondly those are not my words so I don't know why they are in quotes,
>it's paraphrasing what I said on this thread earlier which was this:

Who do you think started this thread? A climber or a journo?

What you say on a public forum is errrrr public?

Unless they copy the whole thread entirely it would be classed as "fair use" wouldn't it?

Stealing the images, is an entirely different matter however...
Onsight
22/01/2009
10:17:59 AM
On 22/01/2009 gremlin wrote:
>Who do you think started this thread? A climber or a journo?

Actually my mistake, my apologies to the journalist from Crikey - I did in fact send her an email and that's where she got here quote from and the paraphrasing is fair enough.

So I am going senile - I knew it!

The ironic bit though: the reason for my email was because the journalist from Crikey had posted her question to the "Nick Kaz Memorial Thread" and I thought THAT to be inapprpriate. Here is what I said in my email:

>Hi Eleri

>Saw your question on Chockstone. You might get some answers from the folk on >Chockstone but I think it’d be more appreciated if you posted your question as a new >topic, rather than posting in a discussion which has pretty much become a tribute to our >dead friend.

>To answer your question I thought this question by a journo was a bit out of order:
>On 2/01/2009 Reporter wrote:
>snip

>Because at that time Nicks family had not been notified so I don’t know why he was trying >to identify him then.

rodw
22/01/2009
10:25:02 AM
So then she started this thread as asked by you...lol.

I think its time to let this topic drop, SMH have apologised to various people, crikey wrote a story we asked them to about the issue and the daily telegraph continues to be a crappy tabloid designed to sell papers with sloppy sensationalistic headlines....the status quo, business as usual, move along nothing to see here.....
Onsight
22/01/2009
10:30:59 AM
...as asked by several people.

The irony I saw was the Crikey article was about the behaviour of journalist on forums, but then her question could have been posted in a more sensitive way.

I agree - business as usual.

BigMike
22/01/2009
10:43:17 AM
On 22/01/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>I've put in a request to SMH asking what the legal situation is. Perhaps
>BigMike can give us an idea?

I'll do some asking around this afternoon.


Eduardo Slabofvic
22/01/2009
10:52:21 AM
All this hoo har is a reminder to take a big grain of salt with every media report, as what has happened
here no doubt happens with the majority of other reports. The lower down the food chain of publications
you go the worse it will get.


 Page 4 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 104
There are 104 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints