Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
Rescues At Arapiles
johny
14-Jun-2018
2:42:00 PM
https://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/5464621/news-focus-mt-arapiles-looms-large/?cs=12

Having recently witness a failed rescue of a friend at Arapiles I sincerely hope they get their shit together. What happened during that rescue effort was a bizarre mix of incompetence and bureaucracy. I am refraining what I would tell in private on a public forum. At the moment if you are injured at Arapiles you are better off getting mates from the pines to help instead of calling 000. At least something will happen.
kieranl
14-Jun-2018
6:06:59 PM
On 14-Jun-2018 johny wrote:

>At the moment if you are injured
>at Arapiles you are better off getting mates from the pines to help instead
>of calling 000.

Can't argue with the first part of that. It's always been the case that it's faster if your friends can get you off the cliff safely.

But not calling 000? You really want the paramedics on scene as soon as possible and I can't see why you'd delay calling them. You don't want to get 30 minutes in or more and realise that you need them. I once had a call because someone had a suspected broken leg and they were thinking of carrying the casualty back to the Pines and then calling an ambulance. I suggested that if they were in such pain that they needed an ambulance from the Pines then they probably needed paramedic treatment before being carried to the Pines.

The good Dr
14-Jun-2018
6:21:23 PM
There are things in progress at the moment to improve the situation significantly.

ajfclark
15-Jun-2018
12:45:40 PM
On 14-Jun-2018 johny wrote:
>https://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/5464621/news-focus-mt-arapiles-looms-large/?cs=12
>
>Having recently witness a failed rescue of a friend at Arapiles I sincerely
>hope they get their shit together. What happened during that rescue effort
>was a bizarre mix of incompetence and bureaucracy. I am refraining what
>I would tell in private on a public forum. At the moment if you are injured
>at Arapiles you are better off getting mates from the pines to help instead
>of calling 000. At least something will happen.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/5464620/news-focus-joint-training-strategy-to-tackle-mt-arapiles-rescues/?cs=225
johny
16-Jun-2018
4:18:48 PM
Yeah sure call 000 for the ambulance/paramedic. What I meant, I think it was obvious by the way, is do not call 000 expecting them to rescue anyone. But looks like they are on it. Hopefully they get it sorted out quickly. There are some extremely skilled rock climbers willing to volunteer.

patto
16-Jun-2018
9:35:28 PM
The quote that got me:

“Self rescues happen which is not ideal; they have a high risk of injury and it’s important that we asses that community risk.”
-Grampians Region SES operations manager Kendra Clegg


Um. What data are you basing that on Kendra....
kieranl
17-Jun-2018
12:32:45 PM
On 16-Jun-2018 johny wrote:
>Yeah sure call 000 for the ambulance/paramedic. What I meant, I think it
>was obvious by the way, is do not call 000 expecting them to rescue anyone.

It needed clarifying. Someone may, and probably will, read "do not call 000" and take that message away. You have to be careful throwing around phrases like that.

salty crag
18-Jun-2018
7:22:15 PM
Can we get a brief description of what went wrong and how it can/will be improved. I know down my way there is a lot of confusion between who is now responsible for high angle rescue. The SES who have traditionally done the role and CFA who now seem to be the preferred agency but at the moment lack the expertise.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints