Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop

DMM: DMM ALLOY "Offset" have arrived!!! #Sizes 7 - 11. (5 piece) Range: 12 to 23.5mm. (Great Compliment to DMM Wallnuts. (Refer Peenuts for Profile) Awesome Pro!  $93.00
15% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
Author
Rescue - Bunny Bucket

Miguel75
27/05/2014
8:31:38 PM
On 27/05/2014 Colg wrote:
>Sorry baz and Miguel Ive work in a rescue organisation for almost 30 years
>almost as long as I've been climbing. And nothing pisses me off more than
>some fool placing mine and the life's of my work mates at risk for no apparent
>reason. If your going to climb learn how to help yourself before asking
>others.

I stand corrected.

I agree whole heartedly about learning to help yourself before calling others but understand there are plenty of nuffys, across society, who pull the trigger way too early. How do you change it?
maxdacat
28/05/2014
9:49:12 AM
I think those of us who were climbing before mobile coverage became widespread might take a more self-reliant approach. A phone is good to have but it's not a replacement for torch, warm clothes, matches etc.

nmonteith
28/05/2014
10:05:59 AM
On 28/05/2014 maxdacat wrote:
>I think those of us who were climbing before mobile coverage became widespread
>might take a more self-reliant approach. A phone is good to have but it's
>not a replacement for torch, warm clothes, matches etc.

Phones don't work so good on the lower pitches at Pierces Pass.
Tex
28/05/2014
11:28:53 AM
Spot on Kieran. As you would know, there are a whole range of factors considered by police and emergency services when deciding on a course of action in situations like this. The important thing to remember is, once the call has been made to 000 etc there is a duty of care to the person/s and all known & likely factors must be considered in assessing the appropriate response. And the decisions made have to be justifiable on a number of levels. Every situation is different and is assessed on a case by case basis, as well as on an ongoing basis until the job is completed.
martym
28/05/2014
12:06:33 PM
On 28/05/2014 Tex wrote:
>The important thing to remember is, once the call
>has been made to 000 etc there is a duty of care to the person/s and all
>known & likely factors must be considered in assessing the appropriate
>response. And the decisions made have to be justifiable on a number of
>levels.

Google "David Iredale" - I wouldn't put too much faith in 000
Tex
28/05/2014
12:18:08 PM
On 28/05/2014 martym wrote:
>Google "David Iredale" - I wouldn't put too much faith in 000

I'm not sure how relevant the David Iredale incident is to this discussion Marty, but either way, that incident was over 7 years ago. A number of recommendations were made and implemented as a result of the Coroners inquest, and a lot of other technological advances have been made. In the Blue Mountains alone emergency services respond to many (we're talking in the hundreds) incidents involving people in the bush each year, with many of those successfully going through the 000 system.

nmonteith
28/05/2014
12:35:05 PM
I believe Mike Law supplied emergency services with GPS co-ords for many of the popular crags and routes in the Blue Mountains a few years back.
martym
28/05/2014
12:36:02 PM
On 28/05/2014 Tex wrote:
>On 28/05/2014 martym wrote:
>>Google "David Iredale" - I wouldn't put too much faith in 000
>
>I'm not sure how relevant the David Iredale incident is to this discussion
>Marty, but either way, that incident was over 7 years ago. A number of
>recommendations were made and implemented as a result of the Coroners inquest,
>and a lot of other technological advances have been made. In the Blue Mountains
>alone emergency services respond to many (we're talking in the hundreds)
>incidents involving people in the bush each year, with many of those successfully
>going through the 000 system.

Good to know things have improved.

vwills
28/05/2014
5:29:51 PM
On 28/05/2014 nmonteith wrote:
>I believe Mike Law supplied emergency services with GPS co-ords for many
>of the popular crags and routes in the Blue Mountains a few years back.

It was done by John Hollott when he worked with care flight. There is a link on the home page of cragx.org. GPS coords for Sydney and mountain and some Newcastle crags. Could do with updating.

nmonteith
28/05/2014
7:49:45 PM
On 28/05/2014 vwills wrote:
>It was done by John Hollott when he worked with care flight. There is
>a link on the home page of cragx.org. GPS coords for Sydney and mountain
>and some Newcastle crags. Could do with updating.

Mike gave them co-ords for exact routes (Bunny Bucket etc) as it became apparent that 'Pierces Pass' is a very big area for emergency services to search when they get the call!
mikllaw
29/05/2014
9:10:33 AM
I gave them a grid reference for all the routes and crags in Simons Guide, about 2400 all up. On crowded crags I gave a single grid reference for each sector. Richard Delaney transposed them to the various fiddly GPS coordinates they use.
martym
29/05/2014
5:59:32 PM
Mike Law OAM

Rocksinmyhead
29/05/2014
6:29:25 PM
On 29/05/2014 martym wrote:
>Mike Law OAM

+1000

Absolutely! I've thought about this every now and again for a while now. Services to Australian climbing over many years, etc,etc,etc....

martym
29/05/2014
7:23:19 PM
Dude that's like checking if he wants a surprise birthday party

Rocksinmyhead
29/05/2014
8:52:37 PM
Hey Marty, pm'd you

tnd
30/05/2014
8:02:43 AM
Naaah, I proposed Mike, they knocked it back because he's such a reprobate :-)

E. Wells
1/06/2014
8:56:32 AM
I have just returned home (relatively close to bbb) after a 'Bungles trip. A friend and I climbed the last two pitches of 'Neruda' by headlamp. I was personally wasted and there is half an old bolt in 300m of climbing and no way to bail etc etc but there was no real issue. We either bunker down for the night or push on, and to come home and read that gym climbers called rescue service on a line of shiny bolts is a real shame. BBB is a big multi pitch that should be climbed as such.......EFFICIENTLY!! Learn to climb incrementally before doing the longer routes and for gods sake pack for the night!!

 Page 3 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
There are 57 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints