Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

DMM: Viper Size L (2013 model as shown) Padded Adjustable Harness, 5 Gear Loops Fits: Waist 87-104cm Legs: 55-70cm   $89.00
26% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Accidents & Injuries

Report Accidents and Injuries

Author
not a torn tendon in leg
skegly
14/09/2013
7:39:30 AM
Not really caused by climbing rock but due to doing a heap of ladder work painting a house im now quite sore in one calf muscle, much like a stich. The doc thinks I may of torn somthing as well as the round ladder runs weren't great. Any advise. I don't get sick pay as I'm self employed, so I have to keep working. But I dont want it to get worse and shiva forbid interrupt climbing as the weather gets better.
Cheers

Bel
25/09/2013
1:00:37 AM
Hey, things may have healed themselves by now however if you still have grief some manual work including dry needling is probably your best bet for a full recovery and avoiding any scar tissue in the muscle belly (which sounds much more likely than a tendon injury, unless your pain is directly over your Achilles)
widewetandslippery
25/09/2013
1:05:43 PM
There are some good youtube things from one of the melbourne unis in regard to excentric exercises for achillies tendonitis. I should do them more, they work.

BoulderBaby
26/09/2013
9:56:24 AM
On 25/09/2013 widewetandslippery wrote:
>There are some good youtube things from one of the melbourne unis in regard
>to excentric exercises for achillies tendonitis. I should do them more,
>they work.

I actually went to a lecture by the woman conducting this research - what I seemed to understand from it was it depended on the grade of tear, a gr3 tear responds the best eccentric exercises, with it's inital discovery by a surgeon who had a gr3 tear, who was trying to make it a complete tear so one of his mates could fix it. haha.

Eduardo Slabofvic
26/09/2013
10:27:43 AM
On 26/09/2013 BoulderBaby wrote:
>On 25/09/2013 widewetandslippery wrote:
>>There are some good youtube things from one of the melbourne unis in
>regard
>>to excentric exercises for achillies tendonitis. I should do them more,
>>they work.
>
>
>I actually went to a lecture by the woman conducting this research - what
>I seemed to understand from it was it depended on the grade of tear, a
>gr3 tear responds the best eccentric exercises, with it's inital discovery
>by a surgeon who had a gr3 tear, who was trying to make it a complete tear
>so one of his mates could fix it. haha.

I was told this same story as well by my Physio. I do these eccentric stretches all the time now. They helped in recovering from an Achilles tendon bursitis

Bel
27/09/2013
7:26:41 AM
Achilles tendon injury/ gastroc muscle belly injury. chalk and cheese and cannot offer more advice without knowing which is the issue. For the record chronic tendinosis does very well with eccentric work acute injurys not so much . I have a feeling that the story goes more like Jill cook put someone on stage with a gd 3 tear and got them to do eccentric work and it actually completely ruptured on stage in front of many many people. could be wrong but that's how I remember it
skegly
27/09/2013
9:39:42 PM
Well after seeing another doc I got a ultrasound done. No problem with muscle s and veins. Still fnn hurt. So X ray was next and all ok. But by now on very strong meds ( read smiling while nodding) it still hurts like a stich and acks. The doc calls(after hours) to make a appointment as he has to relook at my leg. Nerves are pretty much whats left. So the story goes on....
Ps
f---ing nice climbing weather and thanks carl for the invite to araps..
:-(

Bel
28/09/2013
2:08:09 AM
now im curious, where exactly is your pain? is it in your Achilles or Is it in the muscle belly . deep or close to the surface. I think a soleus tear (the muscle that lays under your gastrocs) could be quite hard to see on US . Neural is def a thought. did you roll your ankle in any way. sometimes the common peroneal nerve is irritated and produced pain in the lateral (outside) of your calf muscle.
skegly
28/09/2013
11:57:31 AM
Thanks all.
The pain has a central piont 4inches below the knee, out side of right leg. There is aching from my but check down to & including my foot. But my foot as a dull pins and needles like feeling. Unlike a stich I cant feel or massage out as it seems deep. It also hurts if I cough or sneeze.
Unlike when when you hurt your back or something when you know exactly when it happened. I can pinpoint the day but nothing from the normal day of painting a house which is heaps of up and down ladders, standing on roofs with different angles. Lots bending etc and walking on lyedale toppings.
What is also interesting is that even on strong pain killer meds, endone, it still hurts and only seems to take the edge off though the piont below the knee is a tad numer.
Cheers
Mic
marssan
28/09/2013
1:14:01 PM

You have given a pretty classic description of sciatica
skegly
28/09/2013
3:09:30 PM
I should also say I can walk on my tippy toes.

BoulderBaby
28/09/2013
5:24:03 PM
On 28/09/2013 skegly wrote:
It also hurts if I cough or sneeze.

Does it hurt on valsalva? (Trying to push a poo out, but not actually pooing pressue in your abdomen) Because if so, it does sound like the problem is central rather than peripheral, and it also sounds neural.
skegly
28/09/2013
5:37:37 PM
Hi again,
No problem there other than too much coffee.

I deleted my 'joke' as im too sore to be funny.

bel
30/09/2013
2:33:39 AM
ok NEURAL guaranteed. could be common peroneal nerve, could be piriformis syndrome, could be disgogenic but if coughing sneezing is a problem more likely discogenic. Get it sorted by someone who can touch you, run tests and the like
skegly
30/09/2013
6:45:27 AM
Cheers.
I see the doc I hope today and I'll be able to ask the right questions.
To me it makes sense what you say as when im on meds I have dull pain and heaps of painful acres up my leg but when I don't take it the muscles act the same as if you have thrown your back. That is if you turn or lean in the wrong way it is not good.
So maybe nerve and muscle.

Hey bel what do you do to fund you climbing?
skegly
30/09/2013
5:09:24 PM
CT scan on my back now. No answers yet.
skegly
3/10/2013
9:46:55 AM
Well doc says its the L5. Disc crushing the nerve..

Well it looks like a nerve root injection and physio appointment.
And if it continues he said the surgery word.

BoulderBaby
3/10/2013
12:25:55 PM
Physio physio physio. I'm sure they'll set you with Mackenzie exercises and hopefully the disk will re-absorb.
skegly
3/10/2013
10:08:20 PM
On 3/10/2013 BoulderBaby wrote:
>Physio physio physio. I'm sure they'll set you with Mackenzie exercises
>and hopefully the disk will re-absorb.

Thanks I hope your right boulder baby, I really do.
skegly
4/10/2013
10:23:31 AM
On 28/09/2013 marssan wrote:
>
>
>You have given a pretty classic description of sciatica

Pretty much

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints