Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Wild Country: Set of 7 X WC Rockcentrics. (Sizes 3 to 9) Anodized different colours!   $125.00
17% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Climbing Videos

Post links and comments about your favourite climbing flicks

Author
non-goofy Euros un-bolting hand cracks
technogeekery
24/08/2012
11:02:27 AM
The doors, 8b. Beautiful line, trad ethics + mega de-bolter.

The doors - Cadarese from RAGNI DI LECCO on Vimeo.

ajfclark
24/08/2012
11:41:40 AM
A quick google search: http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site:chockstone.org%20The+doors+Cadarese

Finds that this is a repost: http://www.chockstone.org/forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=4&MessageID=880

I thought that tool looked familiar.
Hugh
24/08/2012
11:56:10 AM
How much damage does chopping a line of bolts do to the rock..?
uwhp510
24/08/2012
12:03:02 PM
On 24/08/2012 Hugh wrote:
>How much damage does chopping a line of bolts do to the rock..?

A sh1tload less than putting them in does.
Hugh
24/08/2012
12:23:42 PM
And so after removing them you've done the damage and still don't have anything to climb
On?
One Day Hero
24/08/2012
12:25:36 PM
On 24/08/2012 Hugh wrote:
>And so after removing them you've done the damage and still don't have
>anything to climb
>On?

Yeah, I know! Like those italian idiots in the video who pull the bolts out then can't climb cause there's no bolts.......what a bunch of idiots.
Hugh
24/08/2012
12:35:10 PM
Odh. Lol...

Does it not seem really self righteous to remove the bolts...? I mean it's not like he couldn't have just by passed them and placed the gear anyway.. I mean, we're wrestling with rocks and pebbles not saving the world...
anthonycuskelly
24/08/2012
12:41:53 PM
Hugh, this argument's been done to death. Does it not seem really self righteous to install the bolts when there's another safe option? It's not like the bolters couldn't have just placed the gear on rap anyway. Excess bolting, chipping, and the like to me are indicative of a lack of respect for these places and our environment... so long term, yeah, it could be saving the world.

And yeah, he could've just passed them by, but at the same time it's not really soloing if you've got a rope on and a belayer ready if you get scared either.
Hugh
24/08/2012
12:46:38 PM
Yeah fair point.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
24/08/2012
12:54:11 PM
On 24/08/2012 anthonycuskelly wrote:
>Hugh, this argument's been done to death. Does it not seem really self
>righteous to install the bolts when there's another safe option? It's not
>like the bolters couldn't have just placed the gear on rap anyway. Excess
>bolting, chipping, and the like to me are indicative of a lack of respect
>for these places and our environment... so long term, yeah, it could be
>saving the world.
>
>And yeah, he could've just passed them by, but at the same time it's not
>really soloing if you've got a rope on and a belayer ready if you get scared
>either.

Fixed that for you with the latest link ac!
;-)

Plenty of too and fro debate for you in there Hugh...
~> Let us know if your point of view wins out, so the choppers know where to go next!
Heh, heh, heh.
anthonycuskelly
24/08/2012
1:00:46 PM
Thanks M9...

Back on topic... looks like a really nice climb (though way too hard for me). He seems to have it dialled in to the "just enough gear" point by the end!

cruze
24/08/2012
1:02:41 PM
That rock looks impeccable and the climbing fiendishly pumpy - although he doesn't seem to get too worked up.
Hugh
24/08/2012
1:02:54 PM
Hahaha it's alright, I'm really just teasing, I know how passionate some people are on here. I'm a trad climber myself. Could count on one hand the number of times I've sport climbed in the last two years
Will_P
24/08/2012
2:15:45 PM
Taking it back off-topic ('Don't clip them if you don't like them')... I just read Steve Roper's 'Camp 4' about the evolution of climbing in Yosemite from the 1950's to the 1970's, and there was discussion about the two viewpoints in the '50's (with pins too), with the 'pro' side placing fixed gear, and the 'free' side freeing the moves and pulling the gear, and the 'pro' side saying don't clip it if you want the 'free' experience. Is that likely the first time this argument came around, or could it have started elsewhere? Maybe the alps, but surely no self-respecting Euro would free moves then pull bolts or pins?

benjenga
24/08/2012
3:45:35 PM
Does anybody else think that the 8b grade is a touch on the sugarbag side. I am not saying that I could climb it but it looks like pretty good edges and good feet through all the hard parts??
citationx
24/08/2012
4:19:34 PM
On 24/08/2012 benjenga wrote:
>Does anybody else think that the 8b grade is a touch on the sugarbag side.
>I am not saying that I could climb it but it looks like pretty good edges
>and good feet through all the hard parts??

It might just be that it's a 35m overhanging finger crack with some crimps at the to. how's that stamina? (at the glen a 12m overhanging jug-fest gets 21...)

Pat
24/08/2012
4:32:12 PM
Great looking line - like Little Thor on 'roids.

Superstu
24/08/2012
4:32:14 PM
He certainly doesn't climb it in the same style as the yankee crack masters like honnold, croft, skinner attack the steep finger stuff, with more layaways and less finger torquing, but that may just be the way it climbs.

Superstu
24/08/2012
4:41:24 PM
Meh, merely just anudder 8a+....

http://hazelfindlay.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/cadarese-sweat-blood-and-the-doors-8b-5-13d-trad/
vonClimb
24/08/2012
8:42:18 PM
On 24/08/2012 Superstu wrote:
>He certainly doesn't climb it in the same style as the yankee crack masters
>like honnold, croft, skinner attack the steep finger stuff, with more layaways
>and less finger torquing, but that may just be the way it climbs.

Its not surprising that he is reluctant to shove his toes into the crack wearing those miura's. Because they crimp your toes a little, I find them excruciating to use crack climbing.

Some parts of that crack look so thin, maybe layback was the best option. But I'm sure there is more jamming and lockoffs to be had.

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints